If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

When Parody Becomes Reality

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

ScottyMcGee

When Parody Becomes Reality

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:47 pm

This has been bothering me for some time. This feels like writing a "Life" post, and even also a "PPR" post, but it has as much to do with my writing as it does my feelings.

When I was about 14 and entering high school, I wrote the beginning of a dystopian novel called Swift Trigger. It was set in the near future where America became ruled by rich elites and a self-absorbed dictator. They annexed Canada to form the Northern Alliance.

They also built an enormous wall along the Mexican border.

I thought this was funny at the time. I thought back then that building a giant wall along the Mexican border was the most ludicrous, satirical, unrealistic thing.

I dropped Swift Trigger eventually because I didn't build up a middle - just a beginning and an end. I wanted the story to be that the main character wants to escape America to see the outside world - and the irony would be that America closed its borders to keep people out but people within wanted to leave. I planned it to be a series and it would later be revealed that the rest of the world is actually fighting against America and its drone armies - something that the main character had no idea was going on because of how the government controlled the media. I planned on dipping the series into sci-fi, where even an alien conspiracy is uncovered and the world has to fight together but since America is so warped into itself they were the first country to be obliterated.

At the time, I was also started writing a sci-fi parody called The Drifters, which I'm still revising and it's a very central novel to my writing career. This parody took place in the year 3,000 AD, and the joke was that despite being so far into the future, the world was still stuck in the same old ways. I thought about how sci-fi visions of the world are either peaceful, like Star Trek, or apocalyptic/dystopian, like Mad Max or 1984. But what if the future was just. . .the same old ****? What if aliens never came because the whole time they were making jokes at us? My vision of the future in The Drifters is one in which the world has become kind of a hickville. Most of the population hitched with aliens because they were tired of the same old political ********. The only people who remained were hardened, Earth-only conservatives. The joke was that after years of the world making fun of America, the world actually BECAME America - the worst part of it - close-minded and nationalistic. I had the idea that the world would eventually globalize but then that globalization would be the new nationalism - humans would hate aliens and not want to be a part of the greater Galactic Community.

There was also a very dark secret of this future Earth that the main character, Job, has trouble coping with. The story involves Job being caught up in an intergalactic spy plot to save Earth. But Job, and hardly anyone else, finds any reason to save Earth because of what it did to itself. The backstory is that the major nations of the world bombed the Middle East to oblivion. They never took the responsibility of having cut it up and kicked it around after all their wars and just said "F**k it" and obliterated every Middle Eastern country. They actually eradicated Islam.

To get to the point finally - I find it hard to continue writing The Drifters. I'm frankly so bogged down that this made up future suddenly seems like a very real possibility. I tell myself not to but I end up browsing the Syrian refugee crisis, the reaction over migrant crime, and the Youtube comments with hundreds of likes that read, "Just blow them all up." Swift Trigger is no longer an integral part of my writing career, but you can imagine my stupefaction when I realized that my parody became a reality. I don't want to continue writing this future. But it's here. It's right at our doorstep. If my words truly do have the power of prophecy, I should just end the story abruptly with a meteor destroying the planet.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:49 pm

People have talked about potentially building a wall at the border of Mexico for ages.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow
-Your offense only makes me stronger.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:16 am

Clearly I haven't been aware of it until recent events when a major candidate called for it as part of his platform. Either I was too young to really be paying attention to the news before or it wasn't something that the "mainstream" media really put a spotlight on. Regardless, the point is I grew up with these two ideas believing them to be excessive and existing only in the realm of fiction. But it's scary when - haha guess what, people really want this.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:29 am

[QUOTE="ScottyMcGee, post: 1620144, member: 31048"]Clearly I haven't been aware of it until recent events when a major candidate called for it as part of his platform. Either I was too young to really be paying attention to the news before or it wasn't something that the "mainstream" media really put a spotlight on. Regardless, the point is I grew up with these two ideas believing them to be excessive and existing only in the realm of fiction. But it's scary when - haha guess what, people really want this.[/QUOTE]

The only scary part is the "the irony would be that America closed its borders to keep people out but people within wanted to leave" part. It crossed my mind as well but I wonder how much of an issue it would really be. We need to at least try to do something about the illegal immigrants, and there's certainly nothing being done very effectively so unless we have some better ideas maybe we should try it. Worst case scenario it doesn't work and it's a waste of money, what else is new. Or it keeps us in and we want to get out, idk, I guess that's the worst case haha.

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”