If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

52 Weeks of Reading - 2017

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds
Administrator

Post by Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds » Fri May 26, 2017 8:05 am

The Long Way Down
Redemption Song
and The Living End, Craig Schaefer
Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun May 28, 2017 7:33 pm

Read A Game For Swallows by Zeina Abirached. It's a graphic novel that relates an episode from the author's childhood in 1980s Beirut during the Lebanese civil war. It's a lot like Persepolis in both theme and art style, though much shorter and not quite as memorable a read. Still, not a bad book.

1. Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko - 4/5 (Jan 15)
2. The Nazi Conscience by Claudia Koonz - 5/5 (Feb 4)
3. The 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade - 2/5 (Feb 2[plain] 8) [/plain]
4. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien - 4/5 (Mar 6)
5. Octopus Pie, Vol. 2 by Meredith Gran - 4/5 (Mar 22)
6. The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien - 4/5 (Mar 26)
7. The Two Towers by J. R. R. Tolkien - 5/5 (Apr 14)
8. The Return of the King by J. R. R. Tolkien - 5/5 (May 4)
9. Discovering Fossil Fishes by John G. Maisey - 4/5 (May 24)
10. Concealing Coloration in Animals by Judy Diamond & Alan B. Bond - 5/5 (May 25)
11. A Game For Swallows by Zeina Abirached - 3/5 (May 2[plain] 8) [/plain]

Galefore

Post by Galefore » Mon May 29, 2017 10:34 pm

Books 18, 19, and 20: Uzumaki Vol. 1-3 by Junji Ito. Okay, so I really never got into Ito. I was always a bit of a contrary person in my younger years and Ito was always the go-to "scariest **** ever" kind of thing people tried to get me into, and I admittedly let juicy, juicy pride stop me from ever doing anything other than distantly respecting Ito's work. It was pointed out to me in more than a few in-depth videos on games I highly enjoy (especially Bloodborne) that Ito's work is highly, highly influential, and some feel he is the easiest choice as a new (and less horrible) H.P. Lovecraft. Since the Eldritch world of horror is my personal flavor, it made no sense why I hadn't read this. I picked up the volumes separately intending to read them separately, but, well, it kinda devoured me.

Basically, I want to level praise at something everyone has praised to death. Ito embodies and expertly uses the slow-burning, start-big-end-bigger tactic that I find central to my favorite Japanese stories (because I guess I'm sorta drifting in that territory this year). The horror is beyond the famous panels we've probably all seen around the creepywebs, but it does have a far more surreal and menacing effect when read in full. If you have managed to remain unspoiled on the work (as I miraculously did, so the story was quite effective for me), I won't spoil it for you, but suffice it to say that I don't even really want to nitpick this. This was a really enjoyable horror experience and a nice trio of almost thematically self-contained and themed horror anthologies (with many obvious overarching things) that really made this awful blah chest cold day worthwhile.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue May 30, 2017 2:57 am

Read Angora Napkin: Cuddle Core Collected Edition by Troy Little. I liked the zany artstyle, and the characters were all pretty funny, but the stories themselves were bland and forgettable. Wouldn't mind seeing the cast in something more interesting.

1. Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko - 4/5 (Jan 15)
10. Concealing Coloration in Animals by Judy Diamond & Alan B. Bond - 5/5 (May 25)
12. Angora Napkin by Troy Little - 3/5 (May 30)

Galefore

Post by Galefore » Tue May 30, 2017 4:52 pm

21: Gyo Collected by Junji Ito. I liked this one more as it went on, but towards the start I admit I was having trouble liking the protagonists (and, impatient dingbat I am, I of course realized there was method in this madness). Though this is a far less expansive and varied tale than Uzumaki, it delivers its horror in a more direct and overwhelming way. As it wrapped up, I couldn't help but appreciate Ito's ability to present the worst in us all and make it somehow beautiful.

For the record, I wanna get a lot more in depth about the themes presented in all of the works I've read this year... I think I may do some podcasts or somethin'.

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Wed May 31, 2017 3:01 am

So much reading for my course *thumpa-thumpa-little-hearts*... so little time to absorb much fiction. :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:36 am

Read La Perdida by Jessica Abel. It's a graphic novel about a young American woman trying to find her place in Mexico. The story was alright, starting out kind of slow but getting better towards the end. The graphical style is very Craig Thompson-esque.

[spoiler]1. Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko - 4/5 (Jan 15)
13. La Perdida by Jessica Abel - 3/5 (Jun 6)[/spoiler]

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:05 pm

Read Sucker Bait and Other Stories Illustrated by Graham Ingels. Ingels was a contributor to a trio of horror anthology comics by EC Comics in the '50s: Tales from the Crypt, The Haunt of Fear, and The Vault of Horror. I wasn't sure if I'd really be into campy horror comics from the '50s, but I ended up loving them. The stories in this collection are dripping with black comedy, irony, and the macabre. I'm gonna see if I can find collections for the other artists who contributed to these magazines.

13. La Perdida by Jessica Abel - 3/5 (Jun 6)
14. Sucker Bait by Graham Ingels - 5/5 (Jun 16)[/spoiler]

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:05 am

Read Good-bye, Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson. This man's books are magic. And they always hit me right in the feels.

14. Sucker Bait by Graham Ingels - 5/5 (Jun 16)
15. Good-bye, Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson - 5/5 (Jun 1 8) [/spoiler]

Galefore

Post by Galefore » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:40 pm

22: Everyman by Philip Roth. This was an intense and tightly focused book detailing the failings and intimate existential dread of its protagonist, a highly self-serving man whose mistakes and general fear of nonexistence are intended, as per the title, to evoke the universality of human struggle and decay. It's a nihilistic novel but it felt surprisingly warm, as though it were more of an absurdist way of examining the life of a nihilist rather than a plainly nihilistic work. It was written in such a fast-paced but careful way, free of narrative fluff, and that made reading it absolutely fluid and enjoyable. This was an excellent book that got me reinvigorated on pulling my way through some novels over the second half of this year.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:54 pm

Read Queer: A Graphic History, written by Meg-John Barker and illustrated by Julia Scheele. For someone like me who is admittedly not very well acquainted with this subject, this was a helpful primer on queer theory, its history and various movements and currents. It also covers critiques and frictions both within and outside the movement. I might check out some of the other books in this series.

15. Good-bye, Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson - 5/5 (Jun 1[plain] 8) [/plain]
16. Queer: A Graphic History by Meg-John Barker & Julia Scheele - 4/5 (Jun 22)[/spoiler]

Galefore

Post by Galefore » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:34 pm

23: **** by Urs Alleman. This deeply distressing look into a manic and disturbed thought web conjured by its protagonist never quite makes itself clear, yet makes its slightly difficult to read brushstrokes feel significant. Small thought reveals the meaning hiding beneath the vulgarity and the stream of horrifying, electric consciousness. Another very interesting, if admittedly gross, work.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:40 pm

Read the first volume of Tank Girl by Jamie Hewlett and Alan Martin. I've heard a lot about Tank Girl and have been eager to check it out for a long time. And I think I can see the appeal. The volume was a bit slow to start but got better towards the end. The core cast is a lot of fun, especially the title character.

So far I like Tank Girl, but I'm not sure if I love it. I may get around to trying the second volume eventually.

16. Queer: A Graphic History by Meg-John Barker & Julia Scheele - 4/5 (Jun 22)
17. Tank Girl: One by Jamie Hewlett & Alan Martin - 4/5 (Jun 24)[/spoiler]

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:46 am

Aaaaand I also read Empire State, a graphic novel by Jason Shiga. The artstyle is nothing special, but the story was surprisingly sweet.

17. Tank Girl: One by Jamie Hewlett & Alan Martin - 4/5 (Jun 24)
18. Empire State by Jason Shiga - 4/5 (Jun 25)[/spoiler]

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:28 am

^^I like early 'Tank Girl'. I like Jamie Hewlett's art-style, man.

'Tank Girl' kind of went to sh*t after the movie. (Surprising as hell, yeah?) First three books are good. 'Odyssey' is good, too. Maybe skip the rest. I don't know. There's infinite comics to read, and finite time to do it in.

(EDIT: Last book/comic I read was 'Metamorphosis'. Not Kafka-------------Shindo L's manga.

It was really, really good, but I can't think of anyone I could recommend it to. It's really dark, and disgusting at points. Not a fun read. It's horrible, but good.)
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

Galefore

Post by Galefore » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:32 pm

24: The Final Solution by Michael Chabon. This was one of many novels, films, and other such that have taken a crack at exploring Sherlock Holmes' later years. This novel chooses to omit Holmes's name explicitly, and focus more on the cast of well fleshed out background characters. The story revolves around a stolen parrot, whose orphaned German refugee master is naught but a mute 9 year old boy. The Parrot, a gorgeously described African breed, is stolen after a gruesome murder and Holmes, roused from retirement by curiosity over the German codes the bird seems to be repeating, decides to aid in the investigation. Though the story does have a surface level of murder mystery, the heart of the story is in exploring the mid-WWII tensions among the various characters. Through his intimate characterizations and ear for word selection, Chabon allows the prevalent existential mystery overlaying the microcosm that is the murder mystery to take center stage multiple times, painting in broader strokes the parallels between destruction and radical change, and lamenting while celebrating the slow crawl of time.

Galefore

Post by Galefore » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:51 pm

25: The Dying Animal by Philip Roth. Well, my manic energy for reading is back and I just slurped this one down. As I did with Don DeLillo earlier this year, I found that if I read ONE uncharacteristically short work by an author, I must read the other. It paid off (again). This novel is a different beast entirely from Everyman. Here, though we have a protagonist/narrator whose fears of mortality drive him to lust, he fully embraces his hedonism and seeks to live a life as devoted to his idea of personal freedom as possible. Similarly nihilistic in his views to the protagonist of Everyman, this aging college professor has his idea of detached sexual pleasure challenged by his heavily repressed feelings developed for an especially beautiful student of his. This dynamic plays through the novel as we intimately see the narrator's struggles to bury his desire for long term affection underneath his cold idea of freedom through personal detachment. The narrator is masterfully written with such an obliviousness, or perhaps willful denial, of his own emotional needs that he can almost sound downright convincing in his self-delusions. It's an excellent character study and one that held my interest easily throughout.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:32 pm

Read A Different Mirror by Ronald Takaki. It's a chronicle of the non-Anglo inhabitants of the United States, why they came here (Africans enslaved, Chinese imported for cheap labor, Irish fleeing famine, Russian Jews fleeing persecution, etc.), and their history and struggles within this increasingly multicultural country. Really informative.

18. Empire State by Jason Shiga - 4/5 (Jun 25)
19. A Different Mirror by Ronald Takaki - 4/5 (Jun 29)[/spoiler]

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:53 am

Read Are You My Mother? by Alison Bechdel. Whereas Bechdel's previous graphic memoir, Fun Home, explored her relationship with her father, this one focuses on her mother. It features a lot of the first book's themes such as sexual orientation, gender roles, and dysfunctional family life, and also includes a major focus on psychoanalysis. I kind of regret there was such a gap in time between my reading of Fun Home and this book, because I feel it would've been a richer experience with the previous book fresh in my mind. I still enjoyed it a lot.

19. A Different Mirror by Ronald Takaki - 4/5 (Jun 29)
20. Are You My Mother? by Alison Bechdel - 4/5 (Jul 2)[/spoiler]

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:39 am

Read Embroidery by Marjane Satrapi. It's autobiographical (or semi-autobiographical) and looks into the sex lives of Iranian women, framed as Marjane having an evening conversation with her mother, grandmother and aunts. It's short, and interesting. I wouldn't call it a must-read like Persepolis, but worth looking at if you're a fan of the author.

19. A Different Mirror by Ronald Takaki - 4/5 (Jun 29)
20. Are You My Mother? by Alison Bechdel - 4/5 (Jul 2)
21. Embroidery by Marjane Satrapi - 3/5 (Jul 5)[/spoiler]

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”