If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

52 Weeks of Reading - 2017

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Galefore

Post by Galefore » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:31 am

Thought i posted last week's book already oops

Week 7: The Disaster Artist by Greg Sestero and Tom Bissell. Excellent read, one that had a lot of overarching influences that sort of coalesced (I watched The Talented Mr. Ripley at the behest of this book for example). It was thrilling to see a lot of my suspicions about Wiseau and the production of The Room confirmed as accurate, but the compelling side to this story is really the tragic friendship and the desperate crying out to be heard on Wiseau's part. Though the resulting film is undeniably and entertainingly awful, the humanity in all of it, the true root of the story, that's what makes it all one great, mysterious and truly beautiful experience all summed up artfully here in this book. It was nice to get some nonfiction in, and tie in my interest in film. I would certainly recommend this one to anyone who has even taken a slight interest in that legendarily inept film.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:21 pm

HTTYD book 12 changed my entire life, book series is better than the movies, see other thread for more details bc I Have A Lot Of Feelings
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:29 pm

1. Death Note Black Edition IV by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata - YEAH
2. Death Note Black Edition V by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata - YEAH
3. Death Note Black Edition VI by Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata - YEAH
4. The Only Pirate at the Party by Lindsey Stirling and Brooke Passey - Okay
5. The Steam Man of the Prairies by Edward S. Elis - Meh
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:12 pm

The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason. :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds
Administrator

Post by Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:23 pm

Definitely Dead, Charlaine Harris
Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:49 am

'Girl Genius Vol 4'

Man. I've been missing out. I really, really like this series.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

Galefore

Post by Galefore » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:08 am

Week 8: Silver Screen Fiend by Patton Oswalt.

I actually did not intend for this one to be the book I read last week, as I made headway into two other novels (of course, overwhelming my notoriously scattered brain) and assumed I'd finish those. Instead, I binge-read this book, which I had already partially read once but went ahead and read all the way through again because **** it, unify the experience, blah blah blah. This one touched home base pretty hard. Patton Oswalt's recounting of obsessive film viewing smacks of my own obsessions and falls into addictive behavior, also much like Oswalt not into anything chemical or dangerous, but to whatever else I could channel my life through rather than take something from it and use it to live said life. This year, as I delve deep into film, music, comedy, and literature, I am avoiding, carefully, the dangers of becoming too reliant on my escapes. Patton Oswalt is a clear, punchy **** writer. He's funny, and you should definitely read this, whether you're interested in film or not. It's a different sort of meditation on addiction, and on wading through the neuron-tendril hellmap of adult life. Patton sort of tongue-in-cheek "hopes it's harrowing" in his introduction, and honestly, for me? Yeah, it sure was. I hope the years leave me with as much wisdom and love for this great big mystery **** of a world as this sage of modern comedy.
\
Also read a few Lovecraft prose-poems (Nyarlathotep is beautiful and agonized and the narrative voice aches and detaches and screams in a way Lovecraft had a famous gift for evoking) and some Raymond Carver poetry (one piece, about trying to capture beauty in a moment but succumbing to the buzz of thought, hit me pretty hard as well). I'm not superstitious (in the words of Micheal Scott, just a little stitious), but man, sometimes when your literature keeps hitting the same nerve it feels like the universe is tryna whisper something to you.

United Nations

Post by United Nations » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:24 am

1. Toxic In-Laws: Loving Strategies for Protecting your Marriage by Susan Forward Ph. D
2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnydale by James B. South
3. The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:32 am

Read The 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade. I'm not sure what I was expecting when I started. This book (drafted and partially written in 1785 but never completed) vividly showcases, in mounting intensity, a huge variety of acts of sexual brutality, misogyny, rape, pedophilia, incest, coprophagy, bestiality, necrophilia, torture, mutilation, and murder. The graphic descriptions of vile acts (there's a lot of piss, poo and vomit being expelled and ingested, for example) as well as the relentless cruelty performed against innocent and unwilling victims (who are more often than not children) made this pretty hard to read at times. I think it's probably the only novel that's ever made me nauseous.

Apart from the obscene subject matter, the plot itself is repetitive to the point of banality. Written in the form of a journal, each day usually follows a predictable outline (e.g. morning breaks, the masters of the castle are served breakfast by naked children, so-and-so commands someone to crap in his mouth or piss in a chalice, a brothel keeper relates a few stories from her career, the masters are inspired to commit new iniquities, an orgy ensues, everyone goes to bed, the cycle repeats for 119 more days). While the book is mildly interesting from a historical perspective, and a morbid curiosity might have you wondering how much worse the story can get, it's not really worth it in the end. Life is too short, go read Dumas or Hugo instead.

1. Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko - 4/5 (Jan 15)
2. The Nazi Conscience by Claudia Koonz - 5/5 (Feb 4)
3. The 120 Days of Sodom by Marquis de Sade - 2/5 (Feb 2[plain] 8) [/plain]

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:51 pm

Seven Princes by John R. Fultz :D

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:01 pm

Read The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien. I read it once around a decade and a half ago, and it still holds up. Next I'm planning on tackling The Lord of the Rings, which I've never read.

4. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien - 4/5 (Mar 6)

United Nations

Post by United Nations » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:38 pm

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1624147, member: 30663"]Read The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien. I read it once around a decade and a half ago, and it still holds up. Next I'm planning on tackling The Lord of the Rings, which I've never read.

4. The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien - 4/5 (Mar 6)[/QUOTE]
I don't understand how The Hobbit got 4/5. What kind of messed up scale are you using? :p That book is so fun and great. Haha. I'm never trusting your reviews again.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:41 pm

It didn't get good until after they left Rivendell. :crossedarms:

Galefore

Post by Galefore » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:24 pm

i'm behind :(

but i am a book ahead, so as this week has been severely disrupted by both being very busy and having tooth probs, i may let myself have a pass for missing one

that said, i'm like... over half through a couple of novels so i'll prolly turn in a couple of my self-enforced little essays at the same time

honestly i love writing these because it's nice to chronicle my reading and watching and listening in a tangible way. i dunno. helps solidify the experience, i guess?

United Nations

Post by United Nations » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:53 pm

4. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

[QUOTE="United Nations, post: 1623434, member: 31164"]1. Toxic In-Laws: Loving Strategies for Protecting your Marriage by Susan Forward Ph. D
2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnydale by James B. South
3. The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers[/QUOTE]

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:57 pm

Read 'Welcome to Night Vale' and 'I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream' on the train out to Dakota.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

United Nations

Post by United Nations » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:31 am

5. Lost at Sea by Bryan Lee O'Malley

Sonic 5

Post by Sonic 5 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:17 pm

Finally finished my first book of the year. It was Resident Evil: The Umbrella Conspiracy by S.D. Perry, a novelization of the first game. It's horribly cheesy pulp, but I love it. Favorite moment: instead of doing all the bs of turning the waterfall off, Jill just walks through it.

I feel really motivated to read a lot more this year. I forgot how fun it can be.

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:08 am

Read three work manuals last week... do they count? :p :D

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Galefore

Post by Galefore » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:28 am

Week 9 - omission, read lots of poetry and online true crime stuff tho

Week 10 (and book 10): Zombie by Joyce Carol Oates. Based on the true life and murders of Jeffery Dahmer, this first- person story blurs identity and reason and creates a nightmare- vision of the inside of a killer's mind. The language is choppy and manic, swerving out of eloquence and reason as quickly and frighteningly as the narrator's moods. Points of view intentionally become hazy to create the effect of dissociative identity, and it works marvelously to key into the killer's psyche. Don't think for a moment this story glamorizes Dahmer's story; laid bare and plain is the deprived and terrifying mindscape of a murderer, with point of view doings meant to paint a gruesome picture. Q___ P____'s victims are human, and you do not enjoy the narrator's stalking and obsession. Still, this is written vividly and carefully, and it can only be admired for that. It is horror in the truest form, where the human is the monster.

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”