SP's art place

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

StarryPeach

SP's art place

Post by StarryPeach » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:56 pm

too lazy to find my old thread and ask someone in power to change the thread title. plus i'd rather start fresh

I took an idea from what AI said here and went with it.

(She may or may not be a princess) Hemlock, Daisy's "evil" counterpart. I tried to make her look less cutesy.

I'm trying to get back into drawing/coloring digitally after not doing it for a year or two. Now that I look at it, I see all kinds of glaring proportion problems (arms/hands and feet, mostly). I need more practice.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:13 am

^ Try to draft more! I like the pic outside of the problems you mentioned, it's cool to see you iterate on a concept.

Drafting will help you get a better concept of how long arms, etc should be. You get these problems because you start doing a 'final' and have to make adjustment to things like torso length while you're working, but that will affect the arms you've already drawn, etc. You want to give yourself the chance to correct it before you move onto anything close to final!

Your colors are definitely pretty solid, too. I'd say try to make her skin skew more pinkish a bit to offset the green, but otherwise you've nailed it. Love that transition from forest-greenish to almost a spring green.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:19 am

Thing is, drafting is something I can do on paper, but it becomes something else when I try to do it from scratch digitally. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:41 am

[USER=19313]@Ringabel[/USER] do you mind if I try to help point out ways to fix your mistakes/show you a few things?
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:41 am

I don't mind at all.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:53 am

Okay, so I did this over your pic. I will explain my choices and how they affect your image in a bit, but I've been at it for awhile and this is where I'm at:

My apologies if any of the colors aren't what you had in mind, for instance I wasn't sure which color you were going for with the hair so I mostly just saw it as 'shiny' and focused on that instead of the color.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:21 am

She doesn't look evil. I guess that's a good thing, to avoid sterotypical mustache twirling (what do evil chicks do?), though.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:44 am

Bit about eyes and what needs fixing:

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:50 am

Okay, so while the image appears to slant a bit to the right, this is almost exclusively from the waist down. I was able to grab that portion of the body and resize it/distort it so the legs were more in proportion with the rest of the body. I reshaped her right (your left) leg a bit and sized the feet down some. I also sized up her left hand so it matched the right. Most of these are just errors that could be corrected by drawing frames as an initial draft, although they're simple enough to fix with photoshop.

The biggest change in shape is going to be in how I handled the hair. Generally speaking, I decided the light source was above her and tried to divide up the existing hairstyle into some additional shapes as the two split down the middle felt a bit simple, but also I needed to know how to do my highlights. Each individual piece of hair is shaded as a single object, more or less, because I want to provide the illusion of depth that mass-shading the whole thing does not provide. I also stylized the bottom tips of the hair to show the strands ending in a more natural fashion. The volume of the hair actually suggests to me that her hair should not be completely straight, as straight hair will follow the shortest path to the ground or wherever its point of origin lies when the character is moving.

You want the brightest point of the character to be reflecting a lightsource that you've established, but most importantly you have to determine where that is. Mine is above her by a large distance, like the sun. I'm imagining there's going to be a lot of surfaces around her reflecting ambient light, which will reduce the harshness of my shadows and make them more neutral. This means that the shadows will not appear fully black. I can determine where shadows are cast based on which portions of the body block the sunlight from reaching lower.

Generally speaking, object surfaces increase in color saturation the more they are exposed to light. Some surfaces, like skin, however, do not. This is because skin is made of multiple layers which light tends to penetrate depending on the amount of melanin present. The light then reflects off blood and muscle beneath, which gives the skin a 'glowy' look where the shadows can become more saturated than the highlights. This is in part because the highlights actually are direct reflections of the light, and do not carry the color of the skin.

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:02 am

That looks freaking amazing. Thanks for your input. [plain] :) [/plain]

I'll keep your words about the eyes (well everything, really) in mind--I learned how to draw using typical anime methods and I'm also trying to match the Mario style at the same time. I guess I'm going to have to start using a ruler/some kind of straightedge now with my drawings--straight lines were never my forte, hence why all my drawings are slanted.

I really appreciate the amount of work you put into this.

IRHP: I was actually trying to go for rebellious/seductive... while still being kid-friendly. I guess that's more a personality thing though. The shorter hemline, the fact she has a sleeveless dress, and the open chest area. The top probably wouldn't make sense in the real world but oh well.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:32 am

No problem. I think you have a lot of potential, you just need to figure out which parts of that style to keep and which ones you've mis-learned in the end. I think part of the problem with the eyes comes from what's called symbol painting, where many people only think of the eyes from front on and they really are just drawing their concept of an eye. It's not a mistake so much as something you don't want to do if you're not intentionally designing symbols. That's the same thing really as using UUUU shapes for water, using inaccurate colors like blue to represent the idea of the water, etc. A lot of anime/manga uses shortcuts like those because the style was developed overall for animating cheaply, so there's no telling what you'll find only works some of the time.

While most are familiar with the eye from front on, they do tend to struggle with rotating it on a Y axis. What you end up with is more like this:

Moreover, the eyes aren't actually entirely front-facing. They tend to face outwards a bit, following the curve of your forehead. So when you're at a 3/4 angle, you get differing types of distortion from depth:

Of course, if you're short on references you can always try to get creative in your software. IE at this angle the eye is pretty much only shrinking in width, not height, so just squish a normal eye horizontally to get a decent idea of how it will deform. A lot of beginners and even pros end up thinking 'it gets smaller with distance' so then they end up drawing it at varying height, which isn't really right. The amount of distance required to cause that much distortion is more than anyone's face covers.

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:27 am

I only did half of this--basically the coloring. The lines are [USER=30663]@Valigarmander[/USER]'s--and I got his permission to color his lines. [plain] :) [/plain]

This was colored in Photoshop... It felt really good going back to Photoshop--I feel like there's some level of texture I can get in PS than I can in SAI. I messed around with the colors (yes I know those aren't Peach's usual colors) and had a random thought: Why wasn't her Shadow Queen colors part of her color choices?

spooky scary bearatons

Post by spooky scary bearatons » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:13 am

play pm

"whether you have or have no wealth, the system might fail you, but don't fail yourself" -
GET BETTER - dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:37 am

[QUOTE="Ringabel, post: 1563371, member: 19313"]Why wasn't her Shadow Queen colors part of her color choices?[/QUOTE]

Because Intelligent Systems owns the color scheme (actually i dunno; would've been rad).

Anyway, kickass art, SP. Keep it up. I especially like the shading.

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:50 am

Just an fyi--the lines are Val's, not mine. You probably knew that but I'm putting it out there.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:34 pm

That would be a cool SSB costume for Peach.

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:38 pm

[QUOTE="Ringabel, post: 1563406, member: 19313"]Just an fyi--the lines are Val's, not mine. You probably knew that but I'm putting it out there.[/QUOTE]

Yep. I was referring to Hemlock (unless you didn't draw that and just signed it like a DIRTY PLAGIARIST). I like that you drew the back of her head; I have an appreciation for reference sketches. And your colors for Val's drawing are cool, too.

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:05 pm

Oh haha, Hemlock... I did draw that one. Thanks, AS!

I've been doing a "dark" Peach (her name is Nightshade--again, another AI idea) art, and as I was drawing her, I had another idea for Hemlock, so I might redo her.

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:52 pm

[linked due to big]

A quick, unrefined (I had no eraser), 30-minute sketch of Agnès Oblige from Bravely Default. I used a reference pic. I will definitely refine the lines later and maybe give it some color.

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:37 pm

Really like that sketch, man. I'm looking forward to the refined version!

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”