If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

AJ's Cosplays!

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Random User

Post by Random User » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:15 pm

Damn dude, I am quite jealous. Those outfits look cool as hell. Nice work on your cosplays!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:41 pm

It's already been two years? Geez...

Anyway, nice costumes. You did pretty well on them both, sounds like hard work but the results payed off nicely.

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:42 pm

Well done, CL!! You have done an amazing job on your costumes!! :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Cravdraa

Post by Cravdraa » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:32 pm

CL, these are legit impressive and you look great in both!
I am also mildly jealous of your sewing skills

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:36 am

I just cannot get over how amazing your cosplays are in general, and especially your Zelda cosplay. Like, omg.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:12 am

You already know how rad I think these are, but I can't not post in the VGF thread. Excellent work on your stuff for Anime X.
Carthago delendum est

S1x

Post by S1x » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:26 am

I repeat

[QUOTE="S1x, post: 1475321, member: 22447"]Are you a real person? That's an insane amount of detail[/QUOTE]

I wish I could devote that much effort to a thing
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 200 character limit.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:42 pm

Thank you all so much!! It's been a rewarding experience seeing how my recent costumes are coming out, considering the many years prior of always finding something wrong with them. I'm not saying I can't still improve, but I am finally reaching a point where I am satisfied with and proud of my work.

SO! Speaking of the years prior. I totally neglected to update this topic last year, but my big cosplay project in 2015 was Temari (giant fan lady) from Naruto. I re-worked her costume a couple times, and there are still some bits I keep telling myself to fix (but am too lazy to), but overall I'm quite proud.

Here is how her costume looked, as I first wore it:

This wig was my very first attempt at any sort of wig styling (all of my previous cosplays had very straightforward and tame wigs); I would say that the only reason Trunks's wig came out as good as it did was because of trial and error from working with this one. I braided pieces of wig hair around wires and sewed them into the netting of the wig to get the pigtails to stick out. ANIME HAIR WHY???

Also, I completely yolo-BSed the fan, and it somehow came out looking good. I glued spokes from blinds (like, plastic window blinds) together and spraypainted them black and then strung them together, before gluing the half-circle of fabric to them. However, they were not strong enough, and they snapped a lot and the whole thing was very flimsy so I had to hold it upside-down as shown. It also didn't like folding up very well.

So, I re-worked a couple of things for AX2015 -- I took apart the fan, glued long wooden rods to the back of the blinds to reinforce them, and added cut-out pieces of fusible interfacing to the fan so it would fold neatly in partitions. The fan looked INFINITELY better after this change. I also tried to re-work the wig, by adding some of the wires to the bottom pigtails as well, but it got jumbled up in the car ride and I wasn't able to hairspray it in the hotel and it kind of fell. So although the fan is better the second time around, the wig doesn't look as good:

(I also like this pic bc you can see the character reference I'm emulating!)

Anyway, if I ever go back to this cosplay I will probably throw out the wig and re-do it entirely, but otherwise I'm very happy with the construction. That fricken fan, man. Bruh.
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Kargath

Post by Kargath » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:06 am

The obvious point for the fan is really "make it stiffer". Temari's fan is structured as a folding zigzag of stiff triangular panels, whereas yours is obviously soft fabric. Ironing the fabric to remove creases, then tacking it taut for each section should help.
Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?
-Clifford Stoll

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:50 pm

*Bringin Sexy Back plays in the distance*

Things to note:

1. I sacrificed my mortal soul to bring this pleather jacket into being. Please admire it because THIS WAS ALL PAINSTAKINGLY TOPSTITCHED BY YOURS TRULY.

2. Materials required to make his stupid wig:
  • this incredibly curly wig + extensions for the ponytail in the back.
  • one (1) Bump-It shoved into the bangs
  • scissors & a very good straightener
  • lots of patience and determination
3. HOT TOPIC EYELINER!!!!!!!

check out this pic i took with a yugi cosplayer. i am always in such awe of anyone who is able to make a yugi wig. like. look at this ********:

#anime

Also, I hot glued a die to some leftover jewelry pieces I bought for Zelda to make the earring, expecting it to fall off about 2 hours into the day. Miraculously, it stayed put.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:40 pm

id challenge you to duel

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:10 pm

Aaand another one! Shows off the back of my pleather vest, AND my cool tat, all at once:

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:21 pm

You look amaaaaaazing, CL!! :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:46 pm

Don't know the character at all, but that doesn't stop you from looking totally fab.
Carthago delendum est

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:49 pm

^ [MEDIA=youtube]li_mpvip8aU[/MEDIA]

see 1:35 for more details.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:09 pm

Bump!!! I'm in love with Mob Psycho 100 so I made a Mob cosplay. I don't expect anyone else here has read or watched the series, but too bad. Here ya go:

[e: wow sorry it's so huge I uploaded it from my phone and had no idea lmao. oh well too lazy to fix. enjoy a super huge close up of my face]

I sewed the coat and skirt and bow from scratch, and embroidered the emblem on the blazer by hand. I cut and styled the wig as a cute bowl cut, then added **** braids made out of yarn and wire - the character dresses in a girls' uniform to exorcise a spirit at an all girls' school, so I wanted to make them obviously fake.

Had a blast with the makeup, too. Tried my best to capture the look of the **** art style. I'm wearing contacts that are just a black mesh screen covering my irises and pupils to darken them, which are ironically the most comfortable contacts I've ever worn. Hopefully will get HQ pics eventually when I wear this to a con, but for now it's just another cosplay under my belt.

School uniform skirts are officially a pain in the ass.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:53 am

Bump! I recently made an imgur account to post albums of my completed cosplays, which has been a great excuse to go through old cosplay photos and cherrypick the ones that really show off my work. I'm pretty much just uploading albums of my 100%-satisfactorily-completed cosplays for which I have good photos. I retouched most of the Zelda ones to fix my wig and makeup, and you can kind of tell they're shooped but they look infinitely better than the originals so I don't even care.

Retouched Zelda shot:

[spoiler=huge images are huge]
[/spoiler]

Also, here's the best pic ever taken of the Militarystuck coats I sewed for me and my roommate forever ago, which somehow never made it to this thread:

[spoiler=also a large image]
[/spoiler]

Boom! I'm also making a lot of progress on an upcoming Ryuunosuke cosplay. I modified a cloak pattern for it which came out looking really good. Pics on that soon, when I finally finish adding the trim to it and have a solid WIP to post~!

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:31 am

Re-used my wig and shoes for a re-colored GT Trunks cosplay. It was for a chill con, and I didn't feel like busting out the big anime sword, so I literally asked my dad if I could borrow a pair of Dad Shorts (TM) and threw the rest together.

Still got hella compliments on it sooooo :cool: :cool: :cool:

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:21 am

Bunp

Made a quality Mob cosplay for cherry blossom festival and topped it off with an incredibly **** Dimple prop. The joke is that the art style in MP100 is intentionally hilariously loose/bad. I did my best to reflect this through the medium of pipe cleaners and googly eyes.

Selfies also feature my Teru cosplayer friendo bc we look better together:

Fun facts:

- I am wearing black mesh contacts that cover my irises and pupils. They were actually super comfy and just made my vision slightly overcast, it was still totally easy to see.

- no one will ever appreciate how much I had to tailor the gakuran to fit me better. It came in the mail so weirdly proportioned I swear

- the wig actually came with a chopped short back (left as is) and anime bangs that literally covered my entire face. Was way easier to style than Trunks, but still took some doing to get it to the shape seen here.

- Mob's shoes are black I forgot to buy black loafers whoops.

- Dimple wobbles back and forth in person because he is suspended by a crappy wire. It makes the look even better.

- Teru's wig is a butchered and repurposed version of the one I made for Pearl/Barry from Pokémon. RIP any possibility of ever doing that cos again

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:07 am

So good! Get those loafers and it'd be absolutely perfect. I wish I had the time for ANOTHER HOBBY because it would be cosplay or just costuming, maybe someday I'll get to crash a con with you.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”