If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

AJ's Cosplays!

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Apollo the Just

AJ's Cosplays!

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:10 pm

I've been into cosplay for a long time, starting in middle school, but I used to mostly just sew the clothes and then wear them and didn't overly concern myself with quality.

Then I made close friends with an extremely meticulous, detail-oriented cosplay fanatic with ridiculously high standards and, essentially, everything changed when the fire nation attacked.

So now I kind of take it pretty seriously and spend almost all of my non-rent non-groceries money on fabrics, trim, patterns, wigs, makeup, etc, and it's made a huge difference. I just got back from a 4-day anime convention where me and aforementioned friend wore two sets of costumes that I'm super proud of.

The first are military-inspired designs of Homestuck characters bymookie that are sort of punk and sort of asian street fashion and pretty awesome.

The original designs look like this:

Image [plus a sketch of a dude character who another friend cosplayed, I made his coat, top, and tie as well]

we cosplayed these same designs last year, too, but the coats hung a little stiffly because I used too tough of an interfacing, and basically it was a learning experience and I spent this last year re-sewing my entire coat and fixing the bottom of my friend's. This year I have nothing to complain about. We look hot.

For comparison, last year:

and this year:

in addition to fixing how the coats hang, I changed the cut of my coat (my friend's idea to make it look more flattering and accentuate my hips) and added the fancy lace to her cravat pictured here. i also tattered my sleeves to make them match my bottom skirt, and made myself gloves to which I added trim.

the dude's costume looks the same so no need to re-post that lmao

---

the other costumes we did for this convention are Sakura and Syaoran from Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, but rather than doing a specific outfit my friend actually designed original outfits inspired by a lot of different designs by the creators. I can only find one picture of us so far, and although I'd fix some things, for a version 1.0 of these costumes, I think they look great:

I'm pretty proud of this wig too because I actually sewed part of the wig to itself to give it that little anime loopie thing at the top. My friend did the rest of the cutting and styling, though, and in return I did the sewing.

Every article of clothing here except the petticoat and the shoes were sewn :{DD

[[I also made a Saison Marguerite cosplay from The Most Popular Girls in School, but due to my friend's Rachel Tice being incomplete as well as me being creepily mistaken for a prostitute walking back to the car, I didn't wear that one enough to get any pictures]]

This convention was quite the experience too in that it was my first ever time wearing contacts. It's hard to see because these pics aren't quite high-quality enough, but my eyes are purple in the Rose (militarystuck) costume and green in Sakura. took me like an hour to put in though, damn, my eyes are not used to that ****
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:37 pm

OMGOSH SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE You're very talented!! I'm impressed with everyone who can sew and especially so when it's costumes, CL. And you all look gorgeous!! *gives you rainbow marshmallows* :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:08 pm

They all look great, love the pose in the last one - it says a lot about the character. I shopped it some to tweak the levels and cropped it to frame you two a bit better:

I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:09 pm

oh awesome, thanks!!

Kargath

Post by Kargath » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:38 am

if you're into cosplay, why do you look so angry that you're in those clothes
Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?
-Clifford Stoll

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:48 am

Cool stuff, CL! I have to ask, how many people actually recognized the Militarystuck cosplays? That strikes me as a surprising off-shoot thing to dedicate a full cosplay to. You definitely pulled it off, though, no doubt about that.
Carthago delendum est

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:22 pm

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1475166, member: 23215"]Cool stuff, CL! I have to ask, how many people actually recognized the Militarystuck cosplays? That strikes me as a surprising off-shoot thing to dedicate a full cosplay to. You definitely pulled it off, though, no doubt about that.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!!

To answer your question, since the HS fandom--past and present-- is so big and a large portion can be found on tumblr (on which mookie is a well-known artist), a decent amount of them recognized exactly what we were. Even the HS people who didn't recognize the specific designs still recognized our characters because the hair, black lipstick/glasses, and colors (purple and green) are iconic to those characters.

The cool thing is that since we chose such elaborate and decked-out designs, a lot of people who had absolutely no idea who we were took our pictures anyway just because we looked good. That was pretty awesome :{D

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:57 pm

Nice! That answers my question, and is awesome to boot. Very cool!
Carthago delendum est

S1x

Post by S1x » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:41 pm

Are you a real person? That's an insane amount of detail
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 200 character limit.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:56 pm

^I'm glad you asked, because fun fact: CL is actually made entirely out of buckyballs & papier-mache.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:30 am

more people are uploading pics!! yaay

putting this one up because even though it's less of a great quality shot, it really shows how much better the green coat hangs this year. I fixed the back of that one too, which you really can't tell from these pics obviously, but the front doesn't curve in anymore and flares out nicely instead.

sorry dudes im just so happy with these costumes because the improvement from last year is monumental and im like HELL YEAH

[[also pictured here: the gun that my friend spraypainted like 5 times over then applied lace to the bottom of to make it kawaii, and the punk rock anklet applied to her hooker boot lmao]]

e: also i def uploaded your edit to tumblr bc it's super hot, thanks AI!!

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:33 pm

I like the closer shots so I can see the detail on the fabric! You should take a photo of the clothes, so we can see that cool patterning in higher detail. :cool:

And you're quite welcome, you bet I already saw that post and liked it. You lot look both really badassed and cute at once.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Kil'jaeden

Post by Kil'jaeden » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:35 pm

What is this cosplay of?
The man who is blind, deaf,and silent lives in peace.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:09 pm

...She says in the OP. And a couple times after that.
Carthago delendum est

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:48 am

GUUUUUURL

I wish I just had this level of commitment. I get awesome ideas and then never follow through.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:49 am

OMG YOU SHOULD THOUGHGH

if it's any consolation, i average about one pair cosplay per year.

slow and steady wins the race. until it's almost con time, then you pull all-nighters for like a week and stress over whether or not your wigs will arrive on time.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:57 am

we were in this video and my friend made gifs of us

not the greatest detail shots but we look good at least \o/

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:05 am

Pretty neat but I'm unfamiliar with the source of whatever you're dressing as. Glad you're having fun, keep it up, quality pics.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:57 pm

2 YEARS LATER BUMP BC GUESS WHO FEELS LEGIT AS HELL AFTER THIS YEAR'S ANIME EXPO!!!!

I made 2 costumes that I am super, extremely ridiculously proud of.

The first is my husband/son/one and only Future Trunks. I based the colors on the manga rather than the anime because I like the red and yellow Capsule Corp logo.

The wig was a nightmare, let me tell you. I spent 15+ hours of my life sewing in wefts of blue wig hair to add to the pink wig I got, for two reasons: to thicken it (the undercut in the back was too thin, you could see the net underneath so I had to add in a bunch), and to make the overall color slightly closer to the blue in the manga.

Here's a before/after of the wig process:

I also had to hand embroider his shoulder patch, because I wanted to be a special snowflake and do his manga colors, but none of the places that sell CCorp patches sell it with the red and yellow. I have literally never embroidered anything in my life. FIRST TIME FOR EVERYTHING

((I then used my machine to zigzag-outline the patch in black. I couldn't find a way to hand-stitch the "CAPSULE CORP" text without it looking bad, so I just left it as-is bc it looked a lot better and more professional that way))

Then there was the issue of his stupid space boots. Like? Wtf??? I ended up basing them more on his design in DBS than DBZ just becauese they are slightly less stupid. I ended up just buying black rubber knockoff UGGs and covering them up, then adding straps.

And finally, but absolutely not least....... we have the Big Anime Sword. I didn't really document the process for that one though because it was like 2 days before the con and I was exhausted and just wanted to get it done. All you need to know is it took a wooden rod, meticulously measured cardboard foam, masking tape, modpodge, and sooooo much metallic paint.

SO WITHOUT FURTHER ADO............ TRUNKS BRIEFS:

Image Image

(((I just bought a denim jacket at the girls' section at Target, and then cropped it to just under my armpit and sewed on the patch. #fashion)))
---

There's one other cosplay I'm insanely proud of at the moment, but that'll probably be another megapost. So for now please ogle Trunks in all of his STUPID 90'S CHARACTER DESIGN GLORY

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:39 pm

OKAY THE OTHER MEGAPOST IS HAPPENING NOW. I have literally wanted to cosplay Ocarina of Time Zelda since I was like nine. I was playing OoT3DS about half a year ago (more? idk) and finally finished my lens-of-truthless file, and when I got to the end with adult Zelda all of my cosplay dreams came rushing back to me and I was like....... SCREW IT!!!! WE'RE DOING THIS!!!!!!!!

This cosplay. Was. Such an ordeal. WHY PRINCESSES GOTTA BE SO FANCY?

Unlike Trunks though, I feel like most of the process comes through in the end result. So here just. Just admire me as a pretty princess:

Image Image Image

The two lines of pink trim around the bottom of her skirt amount to approximately 15 episodes of Dragon Ball Super's worth of handsewing. I know this because I handsewed them while watching approximately 15 episodes of Dragon Ball Super.

The two most painstaking parts of this costume were the shoulder armor thingies, and that tapestry, so I have documented the processes for those interested here:

Image Image

Again. so much paint, so many tears, so little sleep. But it got done!!!!

Now, you may have noticed that the jewelry on her belt and her circlet are not 100% accurate to her design. This is because I found that trying to make accurate shapes out of foam led to them just looking fake and tacky, and so instead I just bought pieces of real jewelry and painted them the right colors and strung them together as best I could. My priority was looking fancy rather than accurate.

((This is also why I added decorative zig-zags to the front of her corset; i was like HEY. SCREW IT. LET'S BE FANCY))

Also, fun fact about this costume -- I wore like 5 inch platform heels under it to give the illusion of me having slightly longer and more elven legs than I actually do, and hemmed the dress to that length. So if I try to wear this without those shoes it drags on the floor.

SO. BOOM. IM A REAL PRINCESS.

[There's another cosplay I made last year that I haven't posted in here, so if I get around to it I'll probably add some pics of that one as well. It's giant fan lady from Naruto.]

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”