If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Val draws.

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Valigarmander
Supermod

Val draws.

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:44 am

Val has been doing more traditional drawings lately, and this thread is where he's going to post them. As a super-fun bonus, Val has also created a new deviantART account to post his new creations, which you may visit here. Buy some prints or something.

As it turns out, Val has been designing a couple of tattoos for a darling client. The first is a magpie, which Val finished drawing last week. After UN chose from a few poses Val sketched (you can see some of them in his doodle thread), Val began drawing it first by sketching it lightly with a #2 pencil, then outlining the features with a 2B pencil, and finally doing the details and shading with 2B.

For the colors, Val made a few mock-ups to choose from, first for the general color scheme, and then some variations in contrast and brightness for the one UN chose.

Finally, a little tweak here and there and she's all done.

The other tattoo Val is working on is a Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus), which is soon to be colored.

Let Val know what you think.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:47 am

Looks pretty good, you're quite talented.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:08 am

I don't think I've ever actually seen a real magpie before, so if you wanted to just say they had those purple feathers, I'd believe you. ;)

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:12 am

Sometimes I wish I could hold interest long enough to draw real-life things like this.

Reminds me of the realistic drawings my uncle used to do (until he lost the drive and stopped). Keep it up and don't stop. If you stop I will end you.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:14 am

Lookin' Good, man. I especially like the flowers. As a bit of a tip for darkening up pencils:

The trouble with darkening pencils is that they look good if their shade dynamics are consistent. This often means that the distance from the brightest color (sheet) and the darkest (heaviest pencil) is still the ideal distance, and cannot be altered. I'd really recommend getting some charcoal pencils if you need a dry media to darken your lines. You can prevent smearing by placing some wax paper (baking paper, yadda) between your hand and the piece you're working on. Try making cautionary scans before you start, so you've got a backup. You could even print a copy (at high-res) and work on that instead if you're going to cleanup in PS anyway.

As for what you can do differently right now, if you're not already doing this - don't use the photoshop levels or contrast tools to darken your pencils. If you are in PS, use the color replacer tool accessible through Image -> Adjustments -> Replace Color. This should help alleviate the amount of the obvious smudging you're picking up when you're darkening the lines. Don't hesitate to clean it up somewhat with a PS brush as well.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:31 am

Results of using replace color and a little touching up:

I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:32 am

Do artists always have some talent to start? I've always butchered even tracing and stick figures.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:43 am

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE POKEMON!, post: 1470400, member: 18119"]Do artists always have some talent to start? I've always butchered even tracing and stick figures.[/QUOTE]
Art requires good spacial perception, especially regarding relations between distances of your drawing subject, and the location of your hand versus where you want it to be. It's not as easy to learn if you don't start out with it, but you can adapt to recognise these factors.

I'd recommend things that increase your motorskills and spacial as well as momentum recognition overall, if you're interested: Playing lots of 2D platformers, games like Tetris and Adventures of Lolo or Zelda which require snap spacial judgements. Particular actions or sports like playing catch can also help you develop the necessary abilities. It's a skill that's easier to acquire while you are young and your motorskills are still developing.

The most necessary abilities beyond that are patience and diligence, and identifying errors. Most professional artists don't start out putting down perfect lines unless they've rehearsed those lines many times(like a newspaper cartoonist who always draws the same figures) - they actually make a lot of loose gestural strokes to feel out where they want their final lines to go, and then use their initial lines to correct their mistakes when putting down final, intended lines. Messing up is actually an important part of being an artist. A talented artist can make lots of mistakes and even adjust their picture to accommodate them, similar to how a tattoo cover-up artist can disguise a sloppy piece as part of a better one.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:11 pm

Here's the flower colored.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:14 pm

A couple pen drawings Val scribbled out today.

Auron

Post by Auron » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:22 pm

I know those two are not connected, but for some reason in my mind I pictured that bat flying at that women, screeching at the top of its lungs, and right as it's about to hit her she falls to the ground in order to dodge it and it mashes into the wall.

I couldn't come up with a reason she has no clothes on.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:38 pm

Maybe the bat is a vampire who is trying to sexually assault her? Or not.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:31 pm

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE POKEMON!, post: 1471225, member: 18119"]Maybe the bat is a vampire who is trying to sexually assault her? Or not.[/QUOTE]
More like the bat is a vampire who is just really bad at seduction. He looks sad. He's like "No, wait, naked lady, I swear to god I didn't mean that you're pretty. Unless you like being pretty. Oh! I didn't mean it like that! I just want you to know I like you. GOD I'M HUNGRY WHO WANTS FRIES DOYOULIKETAKEOUT****'sfoodeveryonelikesfood."

But he's still in bat form so it just sounds like squeaks and chitters. He eventually realizes his goof and and he just finds a spot on a curtain rod to hold onto and pretend he came here just to hang there, all nonchalant.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:37 pm

I think "Bad Pick-Ups Bat" is a new meme now.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:20 pm

Two more. The first one is Val's practice with pencils and shading.

The second is another pen drawing. Linked because boobs.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:32 am

Such a convenient lack of bodily deterioration in the upper torso.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:27 pm

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE POKEMON!, post: 1471225, member: 18119"]Maybe the bat is a vampire who is trying to sexually assault her? [/QUOTE] Or even just a bat.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:13 pm

that magpie is beautiful val, holy ****
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:43 pm

Scrawled out some Splatoon fan art earlier this week.

Val has never really done a landscape before, but he tried doing the steps leading up to the observation platform on Rocky Butte in Portland.

And also, there's... this.

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:16 pm

Aw yiss

Nintendo OC fanart crosshatched scenery and eldritch flashers

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”