If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

RU Does Some Drawing

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Random User

Post by Random User » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:01 pm

This drawing has been frustrating me for hours. I don't really think I did a good job on shading at all this time, but I'm going to post it anyway.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:16 pm

Not everything has to be a masterpiece, man, it's okay to just do something fast now and then or even most of the time. I like her left arm and hand, really, it's very accurate looking.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:18 pm

Just did this to try and help you understand steps you might go through designing a face/head better:

Key things from that you'll want to remember:

- Put a cross over the face, with the horizontal line approximately halfway between the top and bottom.
- Eyes go on that line. Leave enough space for an eye to fit between them for realism. Anime eyes follow the same logic, but they are enlarge after (not before) they are placed, logically. Incidentally, it's okay to go a bit too wide for design, but narrowing will look especially strange.
- Nose ends about halfway from the chin to the eyes, or 1/4 way up from the chin. Mouth is roughly halfway between nose and chin. Moving the mouth can change the appearance of mood.
- Hairline is halfway between eyes and top of head, or 1/4 way down from top.
- Draw hair in strips, try to think of them as being roundish. Try to avoid drawing long hair that ends in a point. This especially applies to effeminate characters. Stick to the pointed/sawtooth edging for a more dishevelled/ratty appearance.
- For a default expression, keep the top of the pupil nearer or along the top eyelid.
- You don't have to actually draw the middle of the bottom of the eye at all, try only using lines there to depict a cheek when a character looks extra friendly/happy/cute.
- If one eye is closer to the viewer but the far eye is still visible, the far eye is going to be squished narrower but probably be about the same height.

There's more I could say but this is already long. I'll leave you with this: a weird rule that has to do with the illusion of line art tells us to not let the character's eyes come in contact with the outline of their profile when you're using this angle. In practical terms that just means you can't cut off the corner of the eye, it has to all be present from side to side.

Cheers and let me know if you want anything else explained.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:31 pm

All right, this time I just used the paintbrush on a multiply layer. So far it's my favourite shading result.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:58 am

Better shading results! Only major crit I have is you should fix that chin so it's directly under the middle of her nose. Better colors and highlights, though, they're looking great. What game is she playing?

Random User

Post by Random User » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:07 am

I hadn't considered beforehand what game she was playing, just that she was playing NES. But for some reason I'm feeling that she's playing Zelda II.

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:26 pm

Redid the whole portrait thing.

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:06 pm

New avatar soon? :cool:

My two cents on the figure structure thing--lessons you're taught on it are guidelines; not rules you necessarily must follow. Everyone's shaped differently. All that matters is if it's the structure you're going for. Don't stress too much about it.

Also, I like your policewoman. Has a chibi feel to it, despite that being possibly not what you were going for. The way you drew her hand on her hip is impressive; you did that quite well. Drawing hands at angles like that is hard as balls.

Random User

Post by Random User » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:09 am

Out of curiosity, would you guys say the eye-visible-through-the-hair thing looks all right, or no? I thought it'd be a neat thing and that it'd look a bit better than just flat-out not having the eye visible but some say they don't really like it.

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:53 am

I'm aware a lot of anime artists pull this routine and in my opinion, how acceptable it is comes down to how much of the eye is covered. If it's a lot, I'd cover that eye up. Personally I'd think it'd look better if the eye wasn't visible here.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:55 am

[QUOTE="Random User, post: 1454876, member: 35827"]Out of curiosity, would you guys say the eye-visible-through-the-hair thing looks all right, or no? I thought it'd be a neat thing and that it'd look a bit better than just flat-out not having the eye visible but some say they don't really like it.[/QUOTE]
It's a matter of taste but I usually only make allowances for the eyebrow to show through the hair. It does something odd with the dynamics to have it obscured from the side, and the heavier lines also probably are not doing it any favors. Generally having the color overlap when the color from the face and hair depicts a contrast is probably one of the only situations it actually works. Since you've got no difference in color, and there's a heavy line going right through the eye, it's interrupting the line illusion. So I think it can work just fine, but not with big black lines interrupting other black lines and probably requiring more color contrast.

I like the picture overall, by the way, you're showing a better understanding of directional shading. The previous eyes you were using is pretty nice for the anthros, so don't ditch that shape too readily unless it's not working for you.

Random User

Post by Random User » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:52 am

Probably making custom sprites for nearly all of the Pokemon Trainer NPCs in Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen, for a ROMhack some Vinesauce fans are making called VineGreen.

Random User

Post by Random User » Sat May 03, 2014 8:44 am

Man, after I checked out the deviantArt submission policy I realised I was practically handing all of my work to deviantArt for free. Oops.

Now I have no idea where I wanna host my work.

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Mon May 05, 2014 7:55 pm

Did you want to host it at a site where it's still publicly viewed?

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon May 05, 2014 9:20 pm

^Yeah, but I've found another site for my stuff called Weasyl with a much more artist-friendly policy.

And also I ended up overreacting to dA's policy because I hadn't read further. Oops on my part again.

Random User

Post by Random User » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:45 am

More Vinesauce art this time. Dunno if I like the edges of the lettering being so jagged after all, though. Probably will fix it later. Maybe.

I drew this one a while ago and never posted it. I was working more on backgrounds this time, but wanted to try something a bit simpler since lighting in my previous backgrounds hasn't been my strong suit, especially with the sunset-ish time of day.

Random User

Post by Random User » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:56 am

Been a while since I've worked on a digital thing, been mostly playing with traditional art for the last month or two. But here's something.

[spoiler]Hayfever had joined up with his newly-found apprentice, Emory, and a well-known Player companion, Spectre, into the dank darkness of Miss Hapen's dwelling. Now they were locked in the well-anticipated power struggle with the disgusting demon. Hayfever simply distracts the monster, bellowing, "You won't be laughing once you're hacked in twain!" and raising his sword for battle. Meanwhile, Emory (with her smaller, lighter body) sneaks around and dashes up Miss Hapen's "spine" in hopes of striking a critical blow to her brainpan.[/spoiler]

Just the first part of a submission for a roleplay thing on deviantArt. I'll upload the next coming two at the same time. This one was a fun way to practise textures. I like the way the sludge monster and the chainmail came out.

Random User

Post by Random User » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:10 pm

The second part for the above, I ended up deciding to just post them as I do them rather than all at once. I'm also adding short text that explains the gist of what is going on. This time I was experimenting with how to organise panels in a page of a comic. I'm unsure how successful I was in displaying what was happening with the image alone, but the artwork in the panels themselves are something I ended up being really happy about.

[spoiler]Rearing her sword to cleave through the miserable beasts' head, the sudden shift in weight from the growing sword caused Emory to lose balance on the unstable spinal column she had planted her paws on. The sudden feeling of her foot sinking ankle-deep in the thick goop was enough of a distraction for Miss Hapen to realise what was going on and launch a counter-attack against the sneaky feline. Hayfever and Spectre became worried once the monster closed its jaws on Emory's upper body - they believed that Miss Hapen intended to eat the young warrior.[/spoiler]

Random User

Post by Random User » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:51 pm

I haven't posted too much but here's something I made recently.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:11 pm

Lookin' good, bud! Love the lines!

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”