If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

The Art... of Spritedude

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Jingle Jangle Kat

Post by Jingle Jangle Kat » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:58 am

I know very little about Breaking Bad (other than that holy crap I need to watch it; how do I start so late) but this looks great. The background catches my eye almost as much as the foreground, it looks really cool. And your new avi is B.A. :3
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:14 am

Really sweeeeeet, Spritedude!!! I particularly love Trace but all your pictures look great!! *gives you marshmallows* :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:32 pm

I liked that bit of animation, I have yet to mention. Looks pretty good, man. Any more progress made?
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:42 am

It's been really slow, but it's progressing at least. I want to say real life has been slowing me down, but it's mostly just been my own procrastination as usual. I've been toying with the idea of showing a small tease of the script to let people know that I'm working on it, but I don't know if I want to give anything away just yet. ...But I decided why not, so here's a short exchange of dialogue between Adam and Hector near the beginning of the comic, as they're sitting atop Coit Tower in San Francisco on a sunny day:

Obviously that's just the rough script. It's not organized into panels and pages yet. Hopefully I'll muster up the motivation to work on it more soon. I feel like that's all this thread has become, half is about my art, half is me apologizing for my inactivity and procrastination. >_>

Speaking of art, the only picture I've finished this past month was this one I did out of boredom. Might as well share it.

If the very sight of the My Little Pony fandom burns your eyes or makes you sick or something, I'd suggest skipping the rest of this post.

Cause that's what happens when you're bored, you draw yourself as a pony. I guess it's not much of a secret that I'm a fan of MLP, or a "brony" if you prefer. I just thought it'd be fun to come up with a pony persona of myself (like, my actual self, not my avatar with the green armor), just as an experiment. As with most fan art, I tried to blend the source material's style with my own. Thankfully my own style isn't too far off from the MLP look.

Yes, I can solve a Rubik's Cube, my best time is 50 seconds, but I'm working to improve. I could probably do it faster with unicorn magic.

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:58 am

Can't speak for everyone, but I'm cool with you doing your stuff as sporadically as you like... *gives you marshmallows*

And, I enjoyed the beginnings of your script.

Very cool uniSpritecorndude!! I like your cutie mark very much!! :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Jingle Jangle Kat

Post by Jingle Jangle Kat » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:33 pm

I wish I could do that.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:56 am

Solid script, looks like, and that's pretty good for a pony-themed anything - definitely looks cooler to me than what I normally see even in the official stuff, which probably helps my attitude. I like your sense of style.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:44 pm

Jeez, it's been THREE months? My thread almost fell off the bottom of the first page there.

If you read my Anxiety thread, then you know why I haven't done much art lately. But I've been mustering up the motivation to do a few things here and there. Here's one I've finished:

I remember there was a thread about RWBY a while ago, but after the series actually started, everyone sorta stopped talking about it. I for one think it's amazing (nevermind the fact that I'm a huge fan of Rooster Teeth). It has incredible action scenes, but it goes beyond that. It has some really well done characters and writing, and the setting and art direction is really cool, I love its mix of sci-fi and fantasy. It's series I almost wish I had made.

So, as usual I felt the need to represent a series that I'm a fan of, with some fan art. Blake is my favorite character, at least out of the main four, so I drew her.

Here's another quick thing I felt like sharing. For my whole life, I've always thought of the months of the year and days of the week as colors. Well, I just figured out that this is, like, actually a thing. It's called called Synesthesia. Some people have it for numbers, some for music notes. I decided to make a representation of how I personally see my months and days, since everyone's is usually different, just for fun.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:52 pm

Is that a... belt-whip-gun?

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:59 pm

The Gambol Shroud, a "Variant Ballistic Chain Scythe".

It's like... a katana with a gun for a hilt, which can convert into a kusarigama. Honestly after watching the whole show I still don't entirely understand how it works.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:08 pm

A whip with a gunblade at the end. I approve.
Also, that orange shade for October. I approve.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

b l a n k

Post by b l a n k » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:49 pm

Spritedude, I love your color wheel! I must admit that I, too, associate particular numbers, letters, and months with colors in my brain.

For some reason, in my head, ones are always yellow-orange, two are always medium blue, threes are always dark red-violet, fours are always dark green, fives are always pale yellow, sixes are always deep yellow, sevens are always dark red, eights are always bright green, nines are always white...and zeroes can be any color they're next to. Go figure.

As for month-colors, I agree with you from July through March counterclockwise. To me, April is magenta, May is pink, and June is blue-green.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:31 am

Lovely picture, as always, Sprite. It looks like your proportions and fore-shortening are improving. Like that hand a lot. I don't know a single thing about RWBY but that's a pretty cool costume design.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:19 am

the gradients on her leggings are smooth and hot

but mostly im just posting here to say that color thing is actually really, really cool and interesting?? Like I'm too fascinated by that to be in proper awe of your art, which is fantastic and sharp as always btw

[[the foreshortened arm looks basically perfectly proportioned how do you do it man]]
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:45 pm

Hey look, more RWBY art.

This time, my close second favorite character, Jaune. ...I seem to have a thing for shy or timid characters.

More or less my routine style of drawing, nothing too new. I'm just trying to ease back into drawing regularly after my hiatus of sorts.

EDIT: Fixed my signature and got rid of the weird white outline.

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:47 am

Something doesn't seem right; Jaune actually looks... confident and competent there.

Otherwise, great work, as usual. You might want to get rid of that white outline of some shape to the left of his right leg there.

Don't feel too guilty about taking a break from drawing; spontaneous hiatuses are kind of a given for artists. Image

sam4tpc

Post by sam4tpc » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:34 am

Awesome work! love what you have done with some of your old pictures!

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:13 pm

Once again, if the very sight of the My Little Pony fandom makes you horribly nauseous or makes you want to gouge your eyes out, skip this post.

So I started taking some requests on deviantART, as a way to kinda force myself to keep busy with drawing, plus I just thought it'd be fun. The first one is from our own Redshirt, of his pony character Buckshot.

Hey look, a background! Yeah, it was a bit of an afterthought, can't say I'm too impressed with it. I'm still having a bit of trouble with perspective and angles. Either Buckshot is a giant, or those are some kind of weird tiny fading mountains. I'm also kind of lost on how to add detail, I think I should've put more shrubs and rocks going towards the mountains, but do I draw every single rock and shrub? How much can I do before it overcrowds the picture? I guess I just have to get a feel for it. Still, it's good to challenge myself once in a while.

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:31 pm

Hey it's still great. Maybe a bush or shrub in the background would have gave it more depth but otherwise, nice job.

;D

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:32 am

You absolutely nailed that art style
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”