If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

The Art... of Spritedude

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Red

Post by Red » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:16 am

The only gripe I would have is that his saddle looks a bit odd, but I'm going to blame that on my reference not being too clear.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:36 pm

I only just now occurred to me that it's supposed to be a saddle. I thought it was an oddly shaped harness for his gun holster. My apologies, I know how annoying it is when someone gets a small detail wrong when drawing one of your characters.

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:43 pm

I'm surprised by the lack of a tumbleweed.

It just seems like a rule that if you're drawing a desert, you gotta have a tumbleweed.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:54 pm

Another one of my deviantART requests. Two down, five to go.

I know absolutely nothing about Homestuck, but I guess this guy is called Bec Noir. From all the references I looked up, I gotta say I love his design.

I intend on doing all these requests as actual compositions with backgrounds and everything, since I really need to practice those for my comic. Doing alright so far, as far as I can tell.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:35 am

Not bad, I always like a good silhouette.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:48 pm

He's green
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:34 pm

For someone who doesn't know anything about Homestuck, you about nailed all of the relevant images to include. Awesome.

so dramatic
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:57 pm

My thread almost fell off the bottom of the page again.

I finally got around to finishing another one of my deviantART requests.

It's one of the requestee's own characters, named Alexandra, who's part of a band called Heartbeats.

So AI made a really good point to me a while ago during an iScribble session: A lot of learning artists think of people simply as fleshed out stick figures. They get the whole wireframe thing down and just draw it thicker, they don't pay attention to the actual anatomy, how bones and muscles move and react to each other. If you can learn how they work, then your drawings will look that much more natural. So that's what I'm trying to do, study anatomy, how different joints bend, where muscles pull and contract, etc.

May as well throw this one in too:

Ssssmokin'!

Just randomly felt like drawing The Mask one day and decided to do so with my markers. Really love how the shading came out on this one.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:02 pm

Great job on that Mask one, the colors are spot-on. I have been collecting a lot of reference material for anatomy if you would like me to dump it in a folder or something. The sticky at the top of this forum's got some good stuff in it, too.

I like the hair in the guitarist one, that's more my style. Looks pretty good overall, difficult position to work with. I think the index finger's missing something, probably needs to be a little more knobbly looking, and you could do with extending the highlight onto the first knuckle where the thumb joins the hand. I've probably said this before, but try putting a little more space between the outer edge of the eye (your left) and the side of the face as it does trip up the illusion of the lineart.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:38 pm

When you draw eyes that are concealed by either hair or headwear, it's a good idea to still render the eyes anyway as like a sketch or something, then draw whatever's covering them over, erasing the concealed eyes afterward. Just wondering if you knew that.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:35 pm

As fun as those dA requests are, I needed to draw something of my own for once, just to get it out of my system.

Everyone's favorite confectionery-loving dinosaur, Donut.

Tried a few new things with this one. For one, I drew Donut more realistically compared to my previous drawings of him, I used some reference of raptors, studied their anatomy and whatnot. I also experimented with "line weight", that is, making lines thicker and thinner in certain spots, like around curves. I used to just use thick lines for the main outer lines and thinner lines for finer details, but now I'm getting a feel for making lines thicker where lines converge and around convex curves and such. And, I tried a more realistic method of using highlights, making them look like, you know, actual light falling on a surface, instead of just staying near the edges of the lines opposite the shadows.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:32 am

Great improvement, bud! Definitely a great take on lighting, and your line weight is working very nicely.

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:45 pm

Interesting mix of hard and soft shading. It's good, but points off for no maple frosted donuts.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:09 am

This one's called "Out of My Shell".

I've been wanting to make a new avatar for a while, plus I've always wanted to do a more personal piece like this, something more abstract and emotional. So I thought I'd kill two stones with one bird.

So, pretty much since I first ever started using the internet, I've used this green-armored character "Sprite" as my online avatar. I've updated him a few times, but recently, I've started to stop using him completely, preferring to just use myself, to represent... myself. Plus I've been working to get over my shyness and anxiety, so I like to imagine this avatar transition as a metaphor for that, like taking off pieces of my armor as literally "coming out of my shell".

It came out a little more... somber than I intended. Not sure how I feel about using it as an actual avatar now.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:15 am

Looks great! Put some more fireworks in the background to make it festive, and you're set. Maybe a bag of Doritos and your best pal Hyper the Hedgehog, who looks just like Sonic but with racing stripes who's a world class hacker and skateboarder.. Yep, then it'd be rad.

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:59 am

Your art is wonderful, Spritedude!! *gives you marshmallows* :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

b l a n k

Post by b l a n k » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:59 pm

Wow...really powerful pic. I'm impressed, honestly. This is kind of how I envisioned coming out of my own shell socially because, like you and Val, I consider myself more open on the Internet than IRL.

*Sigh,* That's probably why I can't get a date...but that post Masa made on "The One" was really inspirational.

"You're worth more than just one person."

I mean, dude, isn't that beautiful? If that's not a confidence-booster, I don't know what is.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:48 am

Welcome back.

So, I guess I don't even have to tell you guys that it's been quite a while. Truth is, I've been in a creative rut for the last few months, even more so than the usual art block I get. I don't know if it's because of the things going on in my life (getting a job, fighting anxiety/depression), or from me just being lazy. I've been going several weeks at a time without drawing a single thing, it just always feels like a chore to me, and I don't want it to be that way.

So I decided that if I'm gonna try to make drawing fun again, I need to have some regularity to it. I'm starting this thing called Don't Break the Chain, in which you mark off days on a calendar for every day you do something (in my case, anything art or writing related), and you do it every single day, no exceptions. Your goal of course, is to not break the chain.

So far I've gone a whole week without breaking the chain, and here's what I've done.
I thought I'd start of by drawing my current Dungeons and Dragons character.

I'm usually the DM when I play, but on the rare occasion I'm not, I play as Vynsayknos (Vyn for short), a dragonborn warlord, though he (and I) prefers "tactician".

I know dragonborn don't have tails, but uh... I don't know, let's say he has some spine mutation or something.

i just love tails alright it's my character and i want him to have one sue me

And as a bonus, here's a miniature I cobbled together and painted for him.

I started off with this guy, chopped off the head, glued on a dragon head and tail, sculpted the cape myself out of greenstuff, used pliers to bend his hands into different positions, then added the spear and shield. Then I watched like three hours of miniature painting tutorials on YouTube before attempting to paint him. It... could've turned out worse I guess, he came out alright.

And last, a gift I made for my grandpa's birthday (he's from the San Francisco Bay Area like me).

I'm not much of a painter, it's way too messy of a medium for my liking, and details are so difficult to do. Half the time I felt like I was just slapping paint on the canvas until it vaguely resembled what I wanted. Still, it was pretty fun, and my grandpa really liked it.

So that's it for now, but, I have a question for you guys. You remember my comic, The Challengers? I posted a short excerpt from the script a while ago, but I've been toying with the idea of posting a rough draft of the entire first chapter of the script to see what you guys think, and to show what the comic will be like. But, I don't want to post it unless I know for sure that you guys will read it and give me some some feedback. Would you guys be interested?

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:58 am

That's awesome. Your miniature turned out fantastic. And your painting is better than any paintings I've ever done.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:57 am

I really like the hills in the painting. Looks boss, man.

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”