If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

The Art... of Spritedude

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:44 am

Just one this time.

I don't usually do realistic paintings, but it felt appropriate this time.

So... yeah, Chester Bennington, the lead singer of Linkin Park, died yesterday. I'm not even sure what to say, honestly. Linkin Park has been my favorite band since I was 13. I bought every one of their albums, I saw them live in 2009, I listened to them pretty much non-stop throughout high school. They helped me through the depression I experienced during that time, and I remember listening to them when coming up with ideas for my drawings and comics. I definitely wouldn't be where I am now without them.

I just wanted to pay tribute for all Chester's done for me, and so many others.

Spritedude

Re: The Art... of Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:56 am

NEW STUFF.

Well, thing, singular. Another expression sheet. 4 characters down, 2 to go.

(It looks like the new forums shrink large images down, so you can click on the image if you want to see it full size)

You guys know who Trace is right? I don't have to explain that he's a disembodied human mind stuck in the body of a wolf and has psychic powers? Alright, good.

I've kind of been wondering if these sheets are even worth doing or if I'm just being paranoid about not being "ready" to start drawing the actual comic, but I think they're actually helping quite a bit, especially with cementing the designs of my characters and finalizing the styles I want to go with. I always wanted to give Trace more of an expressive, cartoony look, as well as human-like eyes, to emphasize the fact that he's a human mind in a wolf's body. That's also the in-universe reason he has his markings (which are just dye), an earring, bracelets, etc. I figure that having human intelligence would also mean he could make decisions about his own appearance. Plus, you know, it gives him a more unique design than just a gray wolf.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:30 am

Hey mate, got lost in the shuffle somewhere when I bookmarked this thread to comment, but that picture of Chester is so good that it really bears repeating: I'm impressed, you've done a fantastic job, it really looks like you know your stuff.

Also, nice pic of Moonmoon. I dig the blue markings, they're very chique.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:31 am

And honestly, I think the character sheets absolutely are a good point of reference. How I think about art changes with the time of day, so it's really a matter of nailing something down and using it as a base-line for quality.

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:58 pm

Awesome painting and fantastic character sheet, Spritedude!! *gives you marshmallows* :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:24 am

BORK BORK IS THE CUTEST I LOVE THIS

Also, I thought I responded but I guess I didn't - I adore that piece of Chester. What a touching and excellent tribute. Well ****ing done man

Random User

Post by Random User » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:54 pm

Nice expressions sheet, man! Trace really is a lovely character.

I think I liked your painting on the old site, but I would also like to express how impressed I am with the painting. It looks excellent.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:21 am

These are looking really great. You've gotten amazing with your colors.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:32 am

Hey look, we got some more.

This is the first time I've tried any kind of vent art.

If I had to give this one a title, it'd be "I'm Not Here", after the lyric from How to Disappear Completely and Never Be Found, by Radiohead. Sorta sums up the kind of feelings that inspired this. I'm alright by the way, I just have my days.

Anyway, here's something more colorful.

Another drawing of my DnD character Elteres, a centaur wizard. He might be my favorite DnD character I've ever made, I absolutely had to draw him again.

As for the finished drawing itself, I have mixed feelings about it. It's not bad or anything, but once again I fell into the pitfall of drawing the character first and then drawing the background around them, and I think the overall composition kinda suffered as a result. It just looks too... flat and empty. You can obviously tell I spent less time time on the background than on the character. That's a habit I have to break if I want to make whole planned compositions and environments. I dunno, something I need to practice, I guess. Sometimes you have to just call a piece finished and move on.

Elteres himself came out really nice though. Man I love him and his big adorable donkey ears.
Last edited by Spritedude on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:08 am

I'm particularly drawn to that drawing of Elteres. Beautiful!! *gives you marshmallows* :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Jere

Post by Jere » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:57 am

I Don't know mate the shading looks proper and the bakground shows the overall area, yes with little less detail but it's the bakground it don't have to be as detailed as the character this time.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:54 pm

I can tell the background is less detailed, but it isn't at all obvious to me that you did the character first. I actually kinda like it--it makes Elteres pop (and the colors are fantastic, btw).
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:50 pm

Love centaur wizard. I've never played a wizard as of yet but I know the feeling of getting attached to one's DnD characters all too well.

I still think the overall composition looks solid despite what you've said but it never hurts to be critical I suppose. Awesome colors as always.

The shading and presentation of that vent piece is brilliant too. Sometimes it helps to have an outlet and in this case that outlet is visually quite stunning imo.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:28 pm

I am a fan of the centaur, and I like your picture of me shielding my pale form from the sun's hateful rays also

We should do a drawchat again soon, you free any days coming up?
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:37 am

^I'm actually free all of next week after Monday, we can set up something then, if you'd like.

Also thanks for the comments as always, guys. Usually I show others my art to see if they can see any flaws that I don't, but sometimes the opposite happens as well: they see the good things I don't. I tend to be my own biggest critic, as many artists do, so I depend on that kind of thing a lot. I really appreciate the encouragement.

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”