Voice Acting, Anyone?

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

ScottyMcGee

Voice Acting, Anyone?

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:41 pm

I've been relatively quiet about a webseries I've been working on for years now called Space Hotel, which I've written and will direct. We are nearing completion in setting up a GoFundMe and announcing it.

I like to pitch Space Hotel as a cross between Doctor Who and The Office. It's set in the future and follows the everyday kooky lives of the employees and guests there.

Recently, however, one of my voice actors for a major character had to drop out. He messaged me saying that he could no longer be committed to the project because voice acting and comedy aren't a focus in his life anymore. I feared it was coming because of his radio silence lately. It was a real shame a huge blow because he was really good. At the very least, I have some material from him, including for this ad animation we are making for the GoFundMe.

So, I have to do a casting call once again for the character in question - Mally Morrison. I'm spreading the word out anywhere I can because right now I'm having the other voice actors mingle over Discord, getting acquainted and practicing their voices - basically getting the chemistry down.

Mally Morrison is a janitor at the hotel who is young and very enthusiastic about everything. He's oblivious and wants to make friends with everybody. He always sees the upside to everything - in rare occasions does he ever get sad. If you're interested, you MUST be able to do an annoying laugh. It would be preferable if the voice actor were Asian, since Mally is drawn implied he's Asian, but his exact ethnicity is never stated. I would still listen to anyone who could do the voice in question.

Keep in mind, this is a commitment thing. You wanna be a part of a show? Well, here's your chance. I intend to pay everybody for this. How much exactly - I've yet to figure it out.

Right now this is what our schedule looks like - I have a temporary animator, Anya, putting together an animated ad for the GoFundMe. Once that's done, I will post the GoFundMe to get money to fund for Season 1 (which has 10 scripts). Anya is taking some time since it's all just her right now. But I can see the ad being finished sometime by the end of July (crossing fingers).

THERE ARE OTHER VOICES NEEDED TOO!!!!

1. There is the manager of the hotel - Frank - who, until this unfortunate news, was the only main character without a voice actor. I strictly would want this voice actor be black, however, since Frank is black. Frank is a horrible manager and has a gruff, deep voice, since he's middle aged. He has a hearty laugh and is often distracted and doesn't really consider the pleas of others - not out of malice but pure obliviousness/lack of understand. He always jumps from one lucrative get-rich-quick scheme to another.

2. There are numerous minor characters, secondary characters, villains, etc that I would love to hear if you are interested. These voices don't need the level of commitment as the main characters. So if you can throw in a kooky voice, alien voice, or be a villain for a couple episodes or whatever, and are interested, by all means say so.

So once again, if you'd like to audition for Mally or Frank, they are main characters, and as such I would like you to be able to meet everybody on a Discord voice chat to get the chemistry down between characters. If you'd like to do any secondary characters - well, depending exactly on what secondary character it is, you won't really need to be on Discord. The only secondary character I know of right now that I would like the voice actor be present in Discord chats is a villain in Season 1. He appears in two scripts but has plenty of lines.

I don't want to post the rough sketch of the ad animation here since I'm saving it for the GoFundMe release. HOWEVER, I can show you at least one cool animated gif and a logo.
Spoiler.

Logo by Sean Hughes

Running animation by Anya

Feel free to share this post if you know someone else who could be interested.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Re: Voice Acting, Anyone?

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:59 am

Definitely sounds interesting, I will leave this tab open for reading when my brain isn't thick with post-work fogging. I have been thinking independently about getting serious with my desire to voice act, and I'm versatile. Feel free to message me with details, I'll be back to look over what you've said more thoroughly.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Jere

Post by Jere » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:48 pm

Looks interesting i can take a look and see if i can help

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:53 pm

This looks really cool!

I definitely am not in a place to commit to a main character or anything regular, and I do not currently have access to a high quality microphone; I am assuming for voice work on a project like this you have a certain audio quality standard you would like to be met?

I'm hoping to start T for medical transition soon, so I will be getting a deeper voice over the course of the next year; as such I definitely can't commit to anything NOW but I would potentially be interested in episodic minor character/villain voicework if you still need additional talent in a few months' time. Regardless, best of luck!!

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:04 am

This looks really dang cool, and I wish you the best with it. I'm not much of a voice actor myself (and I don't have any cool VA connections, either), but I wouldn't rule out a minor role if you ever need it in the future. Definitely keep us updated on this.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:04 am

I'd be interested in a supporting role, but I'd need some more details before committing to it; PM me?

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:41 am

Hey guys, thanks for responding. This weekend ended up being really busy. I'll get back to you all either later tonight or tomorrow.

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”