Pix's art thread

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

pixelated_penguin

Pix's art thread

Post by pixelated_penguin » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:33 am

I'll be posting most art I make here (unless they're too crappy/embarrassing for VGF). Most of the things I'll be drawing will be yandere-related, because that's my obsession, so some content might be a little dark / messed up. Anyway, before getting a tablet in late February I hadn't really done any digital drawings in years, so here's the okayish stuff I've done since then:

One of my adorable waifus, Mikoto from Mikoto Nikki, who (spoilers for that game)
Spoiler.
killed her parents and her previous boyfriend and has their bodies decaying in her house. Yes this is my impeccable taste in women
Next drawing (TW:BLOOD)
Just a throwaway drawing of a girl covered in (implied) other people's blood. Not an actual character or anything.

WIP of a villain OC. Already, this is easily the best digital drawing I've ever done. I have spent an insane amount of time on this and keep fixing things.

C&C appreciated especially for the last one.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Re: Pix's art thread

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:52 am

Nice! I really like the patterning on the 'villain' pic and the kind of over-done bright palette. I think the fore-shortening is maybe a tad exaggerated but overall works, but you should be thinking a bit about the dip at the elbow and how the angle on that part of the arm differs from the upper arm. A little bit of a tip that may also help you create more natural feeling poses is that when one of the shoulders goes up/down, the hip on the same side goes the opposite direction. So if someone stands with their left shoulder tilted up, the left hip goes down, and the right side does the inverse.

The bloody girl has pretty good positioning overall, the primary tip I'd give is to try to use more grey in your color choices unless you want something to stick out as obvious (bright bright lime green will look like it's glowing if you color other things around it more dimly/with less saturation, for instance). This has a more relaxing effect on the viewer and you can use bright colors for lights or to attract emphasis to things. Also, the eye in this image may look better if you set it more forward on the face, and compress it more horizontally. The shape of the eye changes drastically in profile from how we see it in a frontal shot, and also it will be a bit closer to the front of the head than you might guess. These things are perceptual, and the ideas we rely on to depict them well tend not to carry over well when changing angles, so it's not a glaring mistake but it may make you question whether you are happy with the image.

Hope those words help, and I'm liking what I see. Share more when you can!
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:07 am

And here is a good reference for an eye in profile. Observe how far forward it is on the head, and how much empty space there is between the eye and the hairline.

https://www.videoblocks.com/video/close ... zgjb9ngyda
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:13 pm

Nice waifu you got there. Her arms seem to be both different thicknesses and are a bit on the thin side on top of that. That's an easy fix, though. Also, the sleeves should crease on the inside at where the arms bend. That's a tougher fix.

As for the last pic, it looks like her decals/badges were CGI'd on. You should probably consider drawing those on yourself just to keep everything consistent.

Overall, it's looking like you're harboring a lot of potential. Keep it up.

pixelated_penguin

Post by pixelated_penguin » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:19 pm

Haven't had as much time to continue this. Hair pattern is the "reverse countershading" animal warning pattern and I like it better but IDK how recognizable that is. Still need to do the right arm and thinking of adjusting the left arm because the anatomy is a bit off there.

Thank you so much, uh... AI, right? Both of your anatomy tips for my OC are definitely helpful! And thank you for that advice about the eye and my palette choices, and that reference was definitely helpful! I make the mistake of not using refs enough. I wish I could say more to thank you but really, all I have to say is I thought about every one of your tips and they were all helpful.

Thank you for the advice too, AS! I did draw them (see the imperfections in the Mr. Yuk & biohazard symbols) but still need to make them go on her three-dimensionally. I'm thinking skewing + drop shadows will or maybe slight shading/highlights to show roundness (on the round ones) to show they're supposed to be pins. In terms of not fitting in, is that because of outline weights, maybe? Or maybe I should've made them stickers anyway so they'd curve? Re: my waifu, yeah, I can see both of the problems you're pointing out now. There are other big flaws in that one (like the breast area) and rather than trying to fix a drawing that has so many I'll just have to make a more interesting drawing of her eventually (there's never enough). I'm glad I made it though because due to cognitive problems I've developed I thought I'd never be able to make a complete drawing again (much less a good one), and can't do what I used to, so I was happy to have finished that one for my birthday despite having big issues. I definitely never thought I'd be able to do a drawing of the char I'm doing now, I'm so happy.

Thank you so much for the encouragement and advice guys! I'm trying to get better and I'll be posting more and it really means a lot ^^ (oh also I have one question if anyone can help... what should I be using, since GIMP sucks?)

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:20 am

In terms of not fitting in, is that because of outline weights, maybe?
Well, that and the fact they're so clean and straight compared to the more rough look of the clothes and character. It just ends up clashing, but that's just me. As long as it ultimately looks okay to you, I'm fine. But drop shadows would definitely help.
I definitely never thought I'd be able to do a drawing of the char I'm doing now, I'm so happy.
It's the best feeling to finally achieve a drawing your past self could've only dreamt of doing and exactly the idea you should cling onto to help your morale and improve even faster. I've seen so many potential artists give up too soon so it's nice to hear this. :)

pixelated_penguin

Post by pixelated_penguin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:51 am

Nah, AS, what you're saying about the clashing is definitely true. I can especially see that as a problem given how rough the lettering on her shirt is...

WIP #3 after about 6 more hours of progress (like I said, cognitive problems... I feel bad abuout posting new WIPs without much progress but in reality I spend so much time) In the process of making the pins & stickers fit on her. Drop shadows + adding a 3D edge + shading the curve of the pins + making the parts where the outline of them comes off her body thicker partly helps, I think. From the looks of it I think it should be okay for me.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

pixelated_penguin

Post by pixelated_penguin » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:24 pm

Real rough & dirty "Monika as Lucy from Peanuts," another yandere and another one of my waifus. Considering not posting this on VGF (it's basically a joke, not really art) but I felt like posting something because I've made no progress on my other drawing

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:42 am

Looking guud. You're a lot better with colors than I've ever been.

"Basically a joke, not really art" is 99% of the stuff I share here, so I say post anything you'd like, dude.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:31 pm

Ha! That Monika one is great. Very faithful to the Peanuts style.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

pixelated_penguin

Post by pixelated_penguin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:43 pm

Thanks Val. Which of my drawings makes you think I'm better with colors?

And thank you kat ^^. I've always liked Peanuts since my mom is a huge fan and a collector.

Since I'm replying to feedback I might as well post a progress image.

As you can see I'm still avoiding the hard parts (both arms, the head, finally deciding how to position the pins & stickers)...

Turns out having 120+ layers with most not needed really slows down progress. As does using GIMP because it makes very commonly used operations which would normally be one smooth step into multiple. As does your brain not working at all.

pixelated_penguin

Post by pixelated_penguin » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:58 am

IT'S FINALLY ****ING DONE. NOW I CAN MOVE ON TO SOMETHING ELSE

Yeah it's not perfect and there are anatomy errors but I spent way too much time on this one and can't do any more. I'm proud of it at least ^^

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:23 am

The extra effort was definitely worth, though! It came out looking nice, and I especially love the foreshortening.

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”