If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Increase Your Wordiness

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Valigarmander
Supermod

Increase Your Wordiness

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:30 am

I have a flash card program on my phone that I downloaded a long time ago to help me with one of my many abortive efforts to learn a second language. Around February I got the idea to use it to help myself with the English language instead: anytime I encounter a word I'm unfamiliar with, I look up the definition and add it to my flash card deck. About nine months later, I'm up to nearly 500 words and I've learned maybe 30 of them. :crazy:

How about you? Do you have any methods for expanding your vocabulary? Flash cards, word-of-the-day calendars, etc.?

smol Kat

Re: Increase Your Wordiness

Post by smol Kat » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:08 pm

((I should probably go back to Duolingo tbqh))

When I was studying German, I used dict.cc which had a multiple-choice quiz. Sometimes I still use it.

As far as expanding my vocabulary in English, well, my work kinda takes care of that for me. There have been a few instances where I wasn't sure that a word was really a word, so I've had to look it up in Webster (or Chicago, to make sure it's being used "correctly") --correctly here in quotation marks b/c what I really mean is "to style."
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:16 am

You gotta be careful with word-a-day calendars, though.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:06 pm

^And word-a-day toilet paper.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”