If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Artemis's drawing thread

A forum specifically for the visual and literary arts.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Artemis008

Artemis's drawing thread

Post by Artemis008 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:26 pm

I did a pencil sketch based on this piece.
I screwed up the feet and purposefully left out the tail because it looks ugly and isn't visible in game.

I got bored so I screwed around with proportions and body shapes.

It's a hand, what more could you want?

Daisy is mother **** adorable.

I'm not a serious artist, and I only really do these for fun. That means don't expect any kind of schedule, I'll draw when I feel like drawing again.

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:06 am

Sonic sure let himself go. Then again it's not the first time I've seen him in such a state.

You got some respectable talent for someone who doesn't draw seriously. Keep it up.

Apollo the Just

Re: Artemis's drawing thread

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:37 am

Nice perspective on that hand. Hands give a lot of people trouble even drawn flat but you're trying out cool angles and ****. Good stuff.

Random User

Post by Random User » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:43 am

It's good to try things out while drawing. I think what you've made came out pretty good! Keep working at it and you'll improve steadily.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:50 am

Hey, I do pro illustration work time-to-time but I still like seeing stuff like this, thanks for sharing. I especially dig the Hand and Daisy.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:20 am

Lookin' pretty good... although I think Knuckles needs to be more swole. His pecs alone should take up at least a third of the image.

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:48 am

Apollo the Just wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:37 am
Nice perspective on that hand. Hands give a lot of people trouble even drawn flat but you're trying out cool angles and ****. Good stuff.
I still have a lot of trouble with them, hence why the harpy doesn't have arms and Daisy is hiding them behind her back.
Valigarmander wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:20 am
Lookin' pretty good... although I think Knuckles needs to be more swole. His pecs alone should take up at least a third of the image.
Challenge accepted
е и ժ е я wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:50 am
Hey, I do pro illustration work time-to-time but I still like seeing stuff like this, thanks for sharing. I especially dig the Hand and Daisy.
Thanks, do you have an art page/blog?
Random User wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:43 am
It's good to try things out while drawing. I think what you've made came out pretty good! Keep working at it and you'll improve steadily.
Thank you, and I have been steadily improving. I look back at my old drawings and think
Which means I'm growing.
Antisocial wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:06 am
Sonic sure let himself go. Then again it's not the first time I've seen him in such a state.

You got some respectable talent for someone who doesn't draw seriously. Keep it up.
I know what you're saying *shivers*, and thank you for the compliment.

I drew some more.
It's flea man from castlevania
a religious lady based on art from Dante's inferno.

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:44 pm

This one came out well I think, Imgur says otherwise. What do you all think?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:41 pm

I wouldn't go to imgur for constructive criticism. I posted a photo of one of my cosplays, which I *know* to be very high quality work from the perspective of someone who's been active in the community for years and who literally works with fabric for a living, and suddenly a thousand morons who haven't ever cosplayed in their lives are all experts and letting me know it's actually awful. Lmao. Like I can take criticism but "this sux lol" hardly qualifies as criticism.

Like with the hand, I really dig that you're trying unique and dynamic poses. I assume you're using references, and doing so really helps develop an understanding of anatomy. The proportions and such are all very good, well done. And considering you said you struggle with hands these ones came out very nice. Keep drawing and you'll keep improving, such is the nature of art.

Once you get more comfortable with your line art, if you're looking for a next step, shading is a good next skill to work on. As you develop an eye for it you'll realize that the lines we perceive in shapes and bodies are defined by shading, and working off of references with different lighting helps see how that all works.

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:14 pm

Apollo the Just wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:41 pm
I wouldn't go to imgur for constructive criticism. I posted a photo of one of my cosplays, which I *know* to be very high quality work from the perspective of someone who's been active in the community for years and who literally works with fabric for a living, and suddenly a thousand morons who haven't ever cosplayed in their lives are all experts and letting me know it's actually awful. Lmao. Like I can take criticism but "this sux lol" hardly qualifies as criticism.

Like with the hand, I really dig that you're trying unique and dynamic poses. I assume you're using references, and doing so really helps develop an understanding of anatomy. The proportions and such are all very good, well done. And considering you said you struggle with hands these ones came out very nice. Keep drawing and you'll keep improving, such is the nature of art.

Once you get more comfortable with your line art, if you're looking for a next step, shading is a good next skill to work on. As you develop an eye for it you'll realize that the lines we perceive in shapes and bodies are defined by shading, and working off of references with different lighting helps see how that all works.
I'm decent with lines and I can do hands when I have reference. It's getting reference for every position of the hand I have trouble with. I also can't draw faces on a small scale, hence why these 2 women (and many others) simply don't have them at all. I think I want to focus on that before I get into shading. Imgur isn't a great community for criticism but I didn't get a single view on any of my drawings when using Deviantart (which I assume is because most people vastly out shine me) so I stopped using it. Are there any good, preferably smaller art community's?

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:42 pm

For constructive criticism, the most I've ever gotten has actually been on this forum. But there are also smaller groups and communities on deviantArt willing to provide criticism as well, if you can find one to work your way into. Otherwise, I know of a couple smaller art sites like Nabyn or Weasyl, but I think they're dead now.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:39 am

Artemis008 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:14 pm
Apollo the Just wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:41 pm

I'm decent with lines and I can do hands when I have reference. It's getting reference for every position of the hand I have trouble with. I also can't draw faces on a small scale, hence why these 2 women (and many others) simply don't have them at all. I think I want to focus on that before I get into shading. Imgur isn't a great community for criticism but I didn't get a single view on any of my drawings when using Deviantart (which I assume is because most people vastly out shine me) so I stopped using it. Are there any good, preferably smaller art community's?
DA is a popularity contest, and you can only really get attention there by advertising yourself excessively. It used to be better, but the community that does exist is fairly insular and to get their attention, you would have to post on their actual forum. I've gotten equal parts excessive admiration and completely useless commenters there (Including 'Zelda 3' guy, ask someone else for the story, rip in piece my reputation if the press ever find out that I've perpetrated such heinous crimes) - but never any actual advice. If you have questions about a particular subject, I or others here will be happy to help you, such as with your struggle with small-scale faces. Most will not proffer up criticisms unless they know they are welcome.

Since you've asked, I haven't got a current gallery/folio site up, but the following link is the site for @Saria Dragon of the Rain Wilds novel series, for which creative duties are shared with myself. It has not been updated for a while, but the graphics are my work or under my direction. Notably, that includes the portrait which serves as the site's background.

http://www.thedamningmoths.com/

Direct links to the released illustrations:

http://www.thedamningmoths.com/the-damn ... ustration/

http://www.thedamningmoths.com/the-damn ... tration-2/

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:09 pm

I got bored and drew some.... things.....

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:52 pm

I wrote a story. It's about a happy little village.

On a small hill sat a small village of no more than 30 persons. Despite this, the village was bustling with activity and never seemed to settle down. The children were playing, the fathers working, and the mothers were left with the busy work. It was a Saturday evening when something peculiar happened, a child went missing. The child's mother ran all through town pleading for help, "MY son! Where is my son!". The guards quickly searched every house in town of which there were 17, with no luck the child was pronounced dead. The mother refused to give up, and decided he must be lost in the forest to the north. So she left town to search for the boy, telling no one. She was never seen again. The next day another child vanished, this time that of the butcher. Once again the police searched all 17 homes in the village with no luck. The child was pronounced dead. People were told to only go out for things necessary to their survival. For a time, all was well. Then it happened, only two day after the last disappearance the scream of a woman was heard to the north. It was then that the officers realized, the threat wasn't something in the town, but outside of it. With this new lead, they assembled and went north into the forest. The people of the village anxiously awaited their return, but no one came back that night, or the next one, or the one after that. This was the last straw. They gathered every able bodied male in the village, armed them with weapons and sent them into the forest with the intention to kill whatever was in there. None returned. Only 7 remained. 4 women, 2 disabled men and a new born child. The last remnants of the village came together to create a plan of escape. Having mountains to the east and west meant protection from the expanding territories of Zion and Hierosolyma who use small villages like these as death camps, but that also meant they couldn't go around the forest, they also had an ocean to the south, but there were not enough rations to make the journey. Their only hope was to make it through the forest to Euclid, they had no other options. They packed their bags with as much as they could carry, armed themselves with the remaining weapons, and went north just as the others had done before them. The only thing separating them from Euclid was the forest, "Liebe" they had named it. The forest of love. An ironic name, considering the tragedy that had befallen the village. As they delved further into the forest, they created a formation of sorts. The women armed with weapons were in the front, the lady with the new born child behind them, and the disabled men dragged behind. Night was soon upon them, forcing them to set up camp for the night although no one slept. At day break they heard a cry for help from deeper in the forest. Not wanting to abandon somebody in need, the 3 armed women went after it. The lady with the child and the disabled men stayed behind, for safety. Just as they began to lose hope, they heard the voice of one of the women deeper in the woods, "the coast is clear, hurry it over here!". The men followed quickly, not wanting to fall behind again. The child began crying, and the mother gently soothed it to sleep. Something then spoke from the trees "I thirst for the blood of a new born child, give it to me and you will be spared". Then she heard the voice of her compatriots "it'll be alright" they said "just give it the baby" they told her. For a moment she was dumbstruck, they wouldn't say such things. She shouted "Your tricks do not fool me, those voices belong to you!" It lowered it's head from the trees. A hideous creature with a neck akin to that of a snake, but with the face of a human being. It said to her "then I will kill you just as I did the rest of the villagers!" The creature lashed out at with its fierce jaws, she jumped out of its path causing it to hit the ground with a whimper. She ran as fast as she could. The snake creature lashed out again catching her leg, tearing it off and exposing the bones and flesh. She fell to the ground in pain, a pool of blood quickly forming around her. As she breathed her last breath she witnessed a strange creature in a mask gently pick up the baby. Even if she could somehow fight it, she knew it didn't mean them harm. Then she passed into the great beyond. The snake creature didn't even notice the small figure take the child, too caught up in its own greed. When it did realize the baby was gone, it was too late. The child had already been taken to safety, to Euclid.

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:32 pm

I tried

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:36 pm

I need some advice. I've got this huge story planned, all the foundation is there. I've created unique characters and given them all some sort of personality, I've created a huge timeline spanning many generations. The issue is I do not know what to do with it. I've attempted writing multiple times, a comic once, I even thought about stop motion at one point, what should I do?

Also I think I'm going to stick to the style I used here, as opposed to the more cartoon-ish drawing I did previously.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:38 am

Do what feels right at the moment. I'd say start writing it, since you already wrote a prologue, and just churn it out - however it comes out.

Return to “Arts and Literature - Second and Better PPR Forum”