I'm trying to play old PC games on my new PC and it's a pain in the you know what

Moderator: Jere

ScottyMcGee

I'm trying to play old PC games on my new PC and it's a pain in the you know what

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:19 am

Lots of details but I'll be as brief as possible.

Over time it's gotten harder to play old PC games (that ran on XP and earlier) with new Windows OS's.

Now with my super duper desktop PC with Windows 10 - nothing works. Well, somewhat. Some games are able to run but the graphics are wacky and the audio is out of sync. I also can't read certain text because it's garbled. Other games don't run at all - it says that the disc isn't in the drive when it clearly is.

What I've tried:

-Running the games on compatibility modes do nothing

- Making an ISO file out of the disc and mounting it so I don't need to use the disc - still doesn't run the games effectively

- Installing VMWare - a virtual machine to emulate Windows XP - and while it fixes some graphics issues there are still other issues. For example, Mega Man Legends used to be horribly out of sync on Windows 10. In Windows XP VMWare the audio and video are okay but now I can't read ANY TEXT on the menu screens - it's all whited-out. Also Myst Anniversary Edition's graphics now work beautifully but then it randomly crashes before I get to play for some unknown reason. It's like I fix my old problems but now there are new problems.

In short - I'm close now with playing them on VMWare but crap is still getting into the way of displaying them properly/not having them crash. It's really aggravating and I wonder if anyone had any ideas at all, especially if you're familiar with VMWare or using virtual machines.

(CC: [USER=25415]@He Who is Without Skin[/USER] - you know I messaged you way earlier ranting about this but this is where I am now and figured I'd open it up to others)
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:06 am

GoG's doing the summer sale right now and may have some of the stuff you're looking for. Obviously that's not free, but a lot of stuff is like $5, and that may or may not be worth not having to deal with compatibility fixes. The problem with your discs not reading could be do to with your drive - I had a laptop about 6 years ago that only had a drive which could only read DVDs and Blu-ray. Old CD games and even CD-RW discs wouldn't show up.

Wish I had more helpful advice to give, but aside from that one drive, I've been lucky in that no old games I care about have ever required serious work to make run.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:54 am

My friend just gave me a brilliant idea for the menu issue I have with Mega Man Legends.

I can just find a screenshot of the menu and from there I know what I'm looking at. Bahahaha. Because everything else is a-okay. It's just the menu that's f-ed up.

EDIT: Now I just realized the instruction booklet has pictures of the menu anyway so YAYYY

What sucks is that my mom bought me Myst Masterpiece Edition years ago and I just had it on my backlog for so long that I neglected it. I feel horrible now that I can't seem to find a way to play it because it's like "wow what a horrible son I am having mom waste her money on me".
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Jere

Post by Jere » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:33 pm

Allso you need to get some hours in it and GOG is basicly run on it but you could get some good milage out from DOSBOX
Beep Boop absolutely not a bot!

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:07 pm

Other than using Google-fu to find your solution... GoG is very usable

Just type the name of the game followed by the problem you're having and you should find something.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:18 pm

You're going to find that the differences between Windows versions are pretty vast, and some developers like Capcom and their licensees just weren't trying to make their games future-proof and were probably using libraries/code on the verge of being deprecated. Code is deprecated in tons of older games. The most popular ones like Star Craft or Doom are easy to get working simply because the community has supported them properly. To be fair, you're not trying to run them on the system for which they were written, so it's going to be a challenge to figure out what the issue is. Emulation for specific engines is typical, as are source-port engines like the ones typically found for id Games because they were kind enough and smart enough to release their source when the games were still fairly relevant, and that's paid them in continuing community support since..

To play MM Legends, you're better off getting an ISO for Playstation or a Mega Man 64 ROM for the N64. That one's an easy fix. It was ported to PC and written natively for Playstation, so it's going to have wonky parts to start anyway. Playing on PS or N64 emulator is like playing on a community-supported all purpose engine that redirects the library calls and such to PC formats. The original version may have even short-hand emulated or simulated portions of the Playstation environment, due to the PC's then-excessive amount of CPU power in comparison.

If you absolutely need a developer supported version of a game, GoG is definitely on the cards. Many of those just run in customized DosBox launchers though. It would be worth it to search "working dosbox configuration for X_GAME_HERE" or whatever.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Return to “Computer Gaming & Tech”