Thoughts on Virtual Reality in 2016?

Moderator: Jere

Con Carne

Thoughts on Virtual Reality in 2016?

Post by Con Carne » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:52 pm

Ok so 2016 has obviously seen a lot of activity in the Virtual Reality scene. What with Steam releasing their new Vive VR headset, the new Oculus Rift headset and the PlayStation VR. Then you have a slew of mobile solutions like Samsung's Gear VR, Google Cardboard, Merge VR and a number of other VR solutions that require some sort of smartphone to function. Me and a friend of mine actually made a Google Cardboard headset a little while ago and it worked surprisingly well, considering we literally cut it out of a piece of cardboard. Obviously the experience isn't as immersive as it would be on systems such as the Vive VR or Oculus Rift. But considering I don't really have $799 to drop on the Vive headset or $599 to get the Oculus Rift, not to mention the cost of upgrading my computer just to support the Vive and Oculus, i'm pretty much stuck with Google Cardboard for now. In my opinion though the PlayStation VR seems the most appealing right now just because you really don't need any additional hardware. You just hook it up to your PS4 and your off in virtual space. But that also raises the question, if Vive and Oculus need relatively beefy computers to run their VR solutions how is PlayStation getting away with using their existing hardware? Anyway sorry this ran a little longer then I thought it would but those are just some thoughts I had about VR as it stands right now. So whats your guys thoughts on Virtual Reality?

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:52 pm

Eh, once they're fully portable I'll manage to care more, though I am excited by the idea of it, if it turns out good.

Con Carne

Post by Con Carne » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:09 pm

yeah if it turns out good.. the question is will it be profitable enough for them to keep developing virtual reality? Most people , myself included, cant drop close to a grand on things like the Vive and Oculus that cant even stand on its own and needs to be hooked up to a computer that also costs over a grand in the first place.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:22 pm

The price will go down eventually, I'm sure, especially if it doesn't do well. It's what happened with 3DS. Sometimes slashing the price is all something needs to do well. Too bad Sony won't ever do that if Vita is any indication. Vita should be at $149 by now.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:49 pm

It's also an indication, with plenty of companions, that Sony will just abandon VR if it isn't immediately sucessful. I plan to get a PS4 soon, but I'm definitely not touching their VR until it's clear they're not pulling a PSP Go or PS Camera.
(having said that, the Vita is still the most worthwhile handheld I've owned. Sony just didn't help.)

I'm actually working with the Carboard at the moment, and while it's not a bad system nor especially difficult to develop for, (the backend is Java, standard Android functions, and OpenGL. It also supports Unity, but I haven't tried that) I agree that it isn't really a competitor. You only get one button (the touchscreen remains active, but how do you press it?) and have no native support for either tracking user movement or external controllers. And then there's the issue of phones being terrible computers - once you account for all the VR-necessary computations, there's very little time left over to render anything particularly complex while maintaining the very high framerate you need. I doubt it was intended to do much more than the 360 photo (kinda what I'm doing) and video apps that already exist, and possibly serve as a first taste of what a more advanced system could do. In that sense, it works well.

Con Carne

Post by Con Carne » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:18 pm

[QUOTE="I am nobody, post: 1591836, member: 34539"]I doubt it was intended to do much more than the 360 photo (kinda what I'm doing) and video apps that already exist, and possibly serve as a first taste of what a more advanced system could do. In that sense, it works well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that was my thought on making Google Cardboard, that it was more of something we can make to get a feel for what VR could be. Over all I am exited about what it can become given the right development.

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE POKEMON!, post: 1591829, member: 18119"]The price will go down eventually, I'm sure, especially if it doesn't do well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah i'm sure it will, like i said if it wasn't so expensive i would happily buy a Vive or Oculus but for now the price is just too high.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:20 pm

Some of the things I'm getting in my queue on Steam are pretty interesting, but it's not very difficult to resist those price tags. It'll be a much easier sell in a few years when prices have come down and devs have figured out how to work with the tech. I have a feeling that, assuming VR sticks around, what we're seeing now is going to be looked at the same way the PS1/N64 era is now: There were some good ideas and a handful of games that still play well, but by and large 3D games were not well understood.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:19 pm

This might be the year of VR after all.

If developers can show enough support and make games that have it work better than a monitor.

Malahcai

Post by Malahcai » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:02 pm

I finally got to try out an HTC Vive today and I had an absolute blast. I only played around in The Lab a little bit and mostly played the archery game and it just pretty much felt like I was there actually aiming a bow. I didn't even once think about how silly I looked to all the other people in the store, I was completely into it. I might start saving up for one, but I'm sure there will be a new iteration before I can ever afford one. I am however planning on buying a Samsung Gear VR though as I've heard that's it a pretty good introduction to VR, and you can get them pretty cheap used.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:55 am

I am very interested. I will probably be getting a Vive later this year, or perhaps a bit more into the future. Resolution is important for me, as is screen real-estate. I have rigged up a cheap desktop VR kit using my phone, Nvidia Gamestream, a Wii Motion Plus, and some shader mods which hack the depth-buffer for compatible games. It's a work in progress, but it's still pretty fun to mess with. The low res is definitely going to be an issue, though. My stomach is totally fine with the higher latency of the video stream, but not having head-roll is also a bit of a problem. I can emulate some stuff like freetracker/trackIR for games which support those features, but they're hardly the sort I'm playing. Doom 3 in 3D with mouse-based headtracking was very trippy, though, definitely something I could enjoy for longer times provided I make the headset more comfortable - which I intend.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Return to “Computer Gaming & Tech”