The Doom Thread

Moderator: Jere

Kargath

Post by Kargath » Sat May 21, 2016 8:54 am

[MEDIA=youtube]sBLikwEgsh0[/MEDIA]
Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?
-Clifford Stoll

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun May 22, 2016 8:40 am

I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon May 23, 2016 11:28 am

I am playing Doom for the first time.

I spent the past 3 hours playing it at work.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue May 24, 2016 12:00 am

I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue May 24, 2016 12:56 am

[QUOTE="ScottyMcGee, post: 1596564, member: 31048"]I am playing Doom for the first time.

I spend the past 3 hours playing it at work.[/QUOTE]
The first or not-four? Any good feelings? I especially love to play the first two in co-op, it's a really solid experience even today.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue May 24, 2016 3:11 am

The first. I was downloading emulators and ROMs again on my laptop and realized "Oh I could download Doom" for the ZSNES. I didn't realize that the first Doom was out on the SNES. I just thought I'd play for a little at work to kill time.

Yeah, well, my entire day at work was like: "DOOM DOOM DOOM" *pause when boss walked by* "DOOM DOOM DOOM" *pause when boss walked by* "DOOM DOOM DOOOOOM"

It just sucked me in. Think I left off at the second level on the second "episode". Or third level? One of the two. It got pretty hard there. I didn't know that the entire game pretty much played rock music the entire way through - it's wicked. I grew up on Dark Forces, which I loved, so it's like basically playing its spiritual predecessor. I more or less breezed by the first episode and it's funny because I thought that the SNES version was watered down or something because I was like "I reached the the end already?" but nope. I feel like it really kicks in after the first episode.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Tue May 24, 2016 3:42 am

The SNES port is actually missing a number of levels, among other things. It's really worth it to grab the official WAD and a source port (Zandronum has worked well for me).

That reminds me, we still need to have a Doom night sometime.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue May 24, 2016 6:48 am

Ah damn okay. Yeah I had a weird feeling even though I never played Doom before that something was missing. I felt it in the Force.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue May 24, 2016 8:17 am

Oh yeah, the SNES port is a real bitch to play and like all the other older console ports, the level geometry and textures simplified. There are innumerable PC ports which really work brilliantly, although if you want plug-and-play then you can always just snag Doom 3 BFG Edition as it comes with Ultimate Doom (Doom 1 with an extra episode) and Doom II. I'm impressed that you made it so far on such a subpar port, though. Goes to show the appeal is still there!

For the least possible amount of effort, there's an in-browser version:

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/doom-1nd/play-1nd

For a fairly complete list of modern Doom engines, look here.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue May 24, 2016 2:32 pm

I made it to Hell now, so I'm close to the last level actually haha. Before Val told me I was wondering like "Gee something about this feels clunky and basic and wrong." Then I read up on the real Doom and it's not like that at all. But yeah I got really warped into and figured "Made it this far so go big or go home." Apparently in the original PC Doom the monsters can end up fighting each other? That's cool.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Tue May 24, 2016 4:44 pm

If two different monsters accidentally hit each other they'll start fighting each other until one of them dies. This behavior very useful to exploit.

To save cartridge space in the SNES version, the monsters are only animated from the front instead of eight different directions, meaning monsters are always facing the player, thus making infighting impossible.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri May 27, 2016 11:56 am

I am actually gearing up to play co-op Ultimate Doom again soon, but I think mah boi needs an intro to a more passive first person experience than run and shoot or die, so we're going to poke around in Minecraft first.

The monster in-fighting is back in Doom 2016, I'm happy to report. Seeing them taking shots at eachother really makes them seem more alive.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat May 28, 2016 1:21 am

Kargath

Post by Kargath » Mon May 30, 2016 5:19 am

HDOOM just posted the latest 'weapon' for their mod and it's amazing. Unlinkable here, but amazing
-Clifford Stoll

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Mon May 30, 2016 9:58 pm

I didn't know that thing was still being updated. I saw bits of it last year, thought the animu girl demons were really goofy-looking.[DOUBLEPOST=1464659926,1464659840][/DOUBLEPOST]Edit: Okay, I looked up what the new weapon is and that's pretty **** great.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon May 30, 2016 10:03 pm

I officially need to call the doctor because I have Doom fever.

I just bought the Doom 3 BFG edition on Steam. Went through Doom already except for the fourth episode and already started Doom II. Even though Doom 3 is a reboot of Doom I want to finish the oldies first.

I like how Doom is a franchise that just seems to be all about reboots but like actually good reboots.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Mon May 30, 2016 10:15 pm

Make sure you play Doom 64 too. It a lot like the first two games, but a lot moodier and creepier. A better sequel than Doom 3 in my opinion.

There's a fanmade PC version you can download and play.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon May 30, 2016 10:36 pm

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Doom 3 is a lot like Doom reimagined as a claustrophobic horror-action game. The atmosphere is perfect but it's best played with a few mods, which BFG Edition does not afford but that version of the game has been tweaked to make ammo more available, etc, and play a bit faster. Best played in short bursts, like an hour-ish, I find. It's pretty good, but it wasn't made to hit the same beats at all.

If you ever want to check out more official Doom-like stuff, Final Doom contains two officially-released megawads the size of Doom II as well, and continues the lore of the originals. Heretic is a medieval/magic themed game based on Doom engine and made with a similar style. Hexen was an honorary sequel to Heretic, and takes the RPG sensibilities a step further.

And of course, there's community megawads which are pretty amazing, like Piratedoom which Val linked here awhile back. There are also deeper mods like Brutal Doom which actually change and amplify aspects of the gameplay, which the most recent Doom was clearly inspired by.

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Tue May 31, 2016 1:29 am

If you're ever looking for some good maps to play, I have a few favorite megawads.

Hellbound by Zoltán Sófalvi
A beautiful wad with sprawling city-themed levels. The aesthetics are really well done.

Epic 2 by Eternal
An Egyptian-themed wad. Loads of fun.

Whitemare 2 by multiple authors
A winter-themed wad created by members of the Russian Doom community. This one can be pretty challenging.

Whispers of Satan by Paul Corfiatis and Kristian Aro
Standard Doom theme, with some great levels and even some good original music.

Going Down by mouldy
You're riding a literal elevator to hell, and each floor on the way down is a different stage.

Alien Vendetta by multiple authors
This one gets played so much online that I'm actually kind of burned out on it. But that just goes to show how good it is.

Kargath

Post by Kargath » Tue May 31, 2016 4:18 am

BroTeamPill just did a stream of HDoom, and the results are in a censored version on YT. It's great listening to his incredulous reactions
-Clifford Stoll

Return to “Computer Gaming & Tech”