Windows 10 upgrade will be free to Windows 7/8 users the first year

Moderator: Jere

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:30 am

So I think I'm gonna get the upgrade. I wanna be hipster too.

glux

Post by glux » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:46 am

I didn't hear this from the greatest source, but apparently it's going to be subscription based after the first year?

I haven't been reading on our too much so I don't know how true that is.
FTP

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:47 am

I got my new computer recently and it was installed with Windows 8.1 and I absolutely hate it. Yuck. Eugh. God. What did they do? What is this sh*t? This is horrible. This is just inhumane. Microsoft is the master of "Hey, remember how you liked how everything was set up in the previous version? Well now it's totally different. Like everything. Isn't that fun?"

I can't imagine what 10 would feel like.

And what happened to 9? Did they just pull a Capcom and skipped 9?
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:44 am

^ Windows 9 was used in code for Windows 98. Therefore having Windows 9 would muck that up and they didn't want to deal with it.

spooky scary bearatons

Post by spooky scary bearatons » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:26 pm

literally the only major difference that most people will notice about windows 8 is the dumb tablet menu, which is dumb but it hardly makes it a bad os its not vista level horrible and doesnt even scratch on ME. most of this hate is a big circlejerk.
"whether you have or have no wealth, the system might fail you, but don't fail yourself" -
GET BETTER - dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:30 am

I don't understand why they can't just put the tablet menu only on tablets and not have the tablet menu on everything else not a tablet.

They also did a weird thing with Skype now where it's part of Windows. But it confused the hell out of me because I had to make a Windows account or something I couldn't just simply enter my username. But then I had also installed the desktop version of Skype that isn't Windows's little bitch. I just thought they were the same Skype applications but the Windows/Skype thing was like---asdsafighsaig it's too complicated to even adequately explain.

But long story short now when someone calls me on Skype I have three skypes ringing out loud at once - my phone, the weird Windows8/Skype combo, and the desktop Skype. I can't figure out how to undo the Windows/Skype one.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

spooky scary bearatons

Post by spooky scary bearatons » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:55 am

"whether you have or have no wealth, the system might fail you, but don't fail yourself" -

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:00 pm

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:01 pm

It's not that it's a bad OS viewed as an entirely independent product as that it's filled with minor annoyances created by features that didn't need to exist. See the tablet menu, gestures, etc. Performance improvements aside, there's very little I prefer about it to Windows 7.

spooky scary bearatons

Post by spooky scary bearatons » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:44 pm

i get that, and that makes sense, its just most people are like EW WINDOWS 8 ITS SUCKS CAUSE OF THAT MENU and im just like one bad thing does not make a bad OS its actually pretty **** good in performance etc

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:21 pm

I've never had a problem with Windows 8. However, I'm not going to turn down the possibility o a free OS. I know how much these cost. (That aren't Linux.)

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:38 pm

In other news, Solitaire now requires a $10/year subscription to be played without ads, some of which are full-window and unskippable. It's the same as Windows 8's Solitaire and the new Minesweeper, but a bit sketchier because neither of those are bundled software.

Hopefully this is just them trying to placate the people that were mad about the lack of Solitaire in Windows 8 and not a sign of what 10 will be like after the free year.

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:03 pm

Lol. If I'm that desperate to play solitair then I'll just play with real cards.

spooky scary bearatons

Post by spooky scary bearatons » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:53 pm

running it now, windows edge is weird, not sure how i feel about it yet

Random User

Post by Random User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:55 pm

I'm waiting for another month before I get into Windows 10, just to make sure the bugs are worked out.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:10 am

[QUOTE="spooky scary bearatons, post: 1548380, member: 30168"]literally the only major difference that most people will notice about windows 8 is the dumb tablet menu, which is dumb but it hardly makes it a bad os its not vista level horrible and doesnt even scratch on ME. most of this hate is a big circlejerk.[/QUOTE]
Disagreed, 8's hidden UI is a terrible idea for a multi-purpose GUI and the touch menu makes horrible use of space which is the antithesis of good mouse UI. Also they broke driver support with Vista/7 for no good reason, so some things just don't work right and they'll never get updates because that's 'legacy' support - this affects laptops which cannot receive general hardware upgrades the worst. Overall they still hadn't fixed the issue that OS shouldn't use hardware acceleration, period. There are definitely improvements like the boot/sleep functions finally are improved over the 90s, but the tradeoffs are too massive to suggest it's really an upgrade.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

spooky scary bearatons

Post by spooky scary bearatons » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:16 am

most people wont notice that though hahah, im aware of 8's issues, but for the everyman its a decent os

Random User

Post by Random User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:57 am

I haven't gotten 10 yet, but I'm hearing some pretty negative things about its performance "because it donates a huge amount of hardware resources and part of your internet service to communicating with other computers and giving you ads."

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:14 am

[QUOTE="Hell Orb, post: 1549671, member: 25415"]Disagreed, 8's hidden UI is a terrible idea for a multi-purpose GUI and the touch menu makes horrible use of space which is the antithesis of good mouse UI. Also they broke driver support with Vista/7 for no good reason, so some things just don't work right and they'll never get updates because that's 'legacy' support - this affects laptops which cannot receive general hardware upgrades the worst. Overall they still hadn't fixed the issue that OS shouldn't use hardware acceleration, period. There are definitely improvements like the boot/sleep functions finally are improved over the 90s, but the tradeoffs are too massive to suggest it's really an upgrade.[/QUOTE]

Download classic shell like a smart person would then you have 2 good things, Windows7 GUI and 8's performance. At least you can do that if the interface really bugs you, but I kinda like it on touchscreen devices. Only thing I don't like is all the useless apps they put on there, but again, just delete them off.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:31 am

[QUOTE="Scarecrow, post: 1549815, member: 37446"]Download classic shell like a smart person would then you have 2 good things, Windows7 GUI and 8's performance. At least you can do that if the interface really bugs you, but I kinda like it on touchscreen devices. Only thing I don't like is all the useless apps they put on there, but again, just delete them off.[/QUOTE]
Classic shell is 3rd party, its existence is no excuse to let Microsoft off the hook.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Return to “Computer Gaming & Tech”