If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Favorite sim games.

Moderator: Jere

Jere

Favorite sim games.

Post by Jere » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:24 pm

Shoot me some ideas about your favorite Simulation games you guys keep playing over and over might be the old Silent service game on the Nes to MS flight sim X.

Sim Kid

Re: Favorite sim games.

Post by Sim Kid » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:40 pm

A lot of the old Maxis games were ones I liked. I was always fond of Sim Park, the Sims, Sim Tower and Sim City 2000. (I mean come on, my username here is "Sim Kid"!) As for the non sim-game... remember Roller Coaster Tycoon? Yeah. I loved RCT.

I will admit though... those games have a tendency to bring out the sadism in anyone. I used to kill peeps in Roller Coaster Tycoon, did cruel things in Teh Sims (ie, make a House from Hell that was a pain in the ass to navigate), or blew up towns in Sim City. My SISTER was the sadistic one in Sim Park though - I found a file named "Die little children Die Die" where she had ll the kid stuff on an island full of flammable plants and then lit fires.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:21 pm

It's been years since I've seriously played any sims (unless Dwarf Fortress counts), but I had a few favorites. The SNES port of SimCity was the best version of the game. I spent tons of time playing it, but I don't think I ever made it to megalopolis...

I also put a lot of hours into The Sims and its first sequel. Zoo Tycoon 2 as well. (The dinosaur mod, because who wants to build a zoo with boring modern-day animals?)

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:16 am

Does Animal Crossing count? bc it's the only one I ever kind of got into.

.....roller coaster tycoon though, back in the day. sooooo much murder.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:41 am

I'm suddenly realizing that most of my early childhood was sim games. Of the ones I can remember:
- Roller Coaster Tycoon and its sequels. These were a mix of deliberate murder (exploding dinghies!) and not understanding physics well enough to avoid having 15G rides.
- Zoo Tycoon 2 and a bit of the others. I assume Val and I shared the experience of frequently getting bored and letting the raptors out.
- Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom. A city builder set in ancient China that actually still holds up really well. I could sort of play this back in the day, but my cities weren't laid out well.
- Star Wars: X-Wing. Entirely through the cheats, because this game is stupidly hard and I still can't get very far in it legitimately. Some of that is also down to bad design, in retrospect.

Don't play them much anymore. Cities: Skylines and a few of the GRiD games are the only ones I've put any significant time into in the last few years.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:25 am

I am nobody wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:41 am
- Zoo Tycoon 2 and a bit of the others. I assume Val and I shared the experience of frequently getting bored and letting the raptors out.
After blocking the zoo exit, of course.

Jere

Post by Jere » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:57 am

Played most of them, but not before i was around maybe 13 years old i always had a weakness for the flight sims, i started with Janes Combat flight simulator, only flight sim i was able to play with a keyboard before war thunder.

The it was the sim city games untill i got the gear to play war thunder and IL 2 sturmovic properly

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:38 am

I went to an amusement park this weekend and really wanted to played Roller Coaster Tycoon again. That was really the one sim I played religiously.

The Sims
is one of those games that I get excited about initially and then don't play it for the longest time. It's bad. I just did that with Sims 4. I should play it more. My mom got it for me for Christmas sooooo.

Did anyone ever play the sim game The Movies? You made your own movies. You had like a stock set of animations you could piece together. Create your actors and actresses. Insert your own music. It was a good idea but then seemed to lose steam not long after. They only ever released one expansion pack I think, stunts and effects, which I bought as well. One stupid thing about that game was that you went through different time periods in movie history and could only make movies with the materials from that time period. So you'd start out in the 20's and could only make black and white silent films. I always just entered the cheat to get everything. Doing that history campaign thing was totally pointless. I think it was a cheat I entered. Or was there a sandbox mode? I don't remember now. Point is - there was no point in doing that campaign thing. The prospect of creating a movie excited me so much - why limit myself?

But I had a lot of fun back when it was released. I write stories so I loved to "film" them in that sim and watch it play out. I could never figure out how to export the movies into viewable filetypes. I'm sure now I could figure it out, since I was a dumb teenager back then. Man, thinking about the stuff I made makes me want to go back to that game. I hope my videos are still saved in my old computer somewhere. That would really be something to relive them.

Return to “Computer Gaming & Tech”