If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

3 years later, still salty about No Adventure Mode

Moderator: CaptHayfever

Apollo the Just

3 years later, still salty about No Adventure Mode

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:46 pm

.......OK SERIOUSLY WHERE THE **** IS MY ADVENTURE MODE IN SMASH 4.

Adventure Mode was one of my favorite things about Melee. I loved playing that game, and even when I didn't have friends or family around or in the mood to play it I would just kick it 1p-style. Adventure Mode made it fun because I was used to the controls of certain characters and it introduced platforming levels for me to dick around in, throwing goombas around and slaying re-deads with the beam sword, like. **** was lit. Then Brawl came out, and although it's so definitely not my favorite Smash game as far as controls go, Subspace Emissary UPPED THE DAMN GAME when it came to Adventure Mode. SE was so good.

I easily, EASILY put more hours into Melee Adventure Mode / Brawl Subspace Emissary than into fighting. Not that fighting isn't really fun, I love smash games and the character movesets are awesome and it's one of the best party games of all time. But as a single-player game, which I played it as often, Adventure kept it fresh.

But no, Smash 4 is like, no more platforming for you. None of that anymore. Only fights. What's that? You don't play video games multiplayer that frequently as of recent and you'd really appreciate a more fun and silly story-oriented mode of gameplay that lets you use this game's movement and characters but in a way that's good as single player? No. Fights Only.

This is honestly the #1 reason I still haven't bought this game. Like, it's a really fun game, but my friends already have it for WiiU so whenever I would want to play it (when I am with friends), I already have access. There's no real motivation for me to buy it for myself bc where the **** is my Wii Fit Trainer platforming level, Nintendo ?????? HWERE IS IT ??????????? YEAH THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:56 pm

It's only been two years

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:03 pm

FOUR YEARS LATER,

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:09 pm

Smash Run and Master Core are enough to make me thankful there was no Adventure Mode. Weak platforming, ridiculous knock-back and damage-sponge enemies everywhere.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:29 pm

I recently played through the Subspace Emissary in Project M and it's really fun to have that sprawling adventure mode with Melee's physics and damaging combos.
[QUOTE="X-3, post: 1624133, member: 27765"]It's only been two years[/QUOTE]
Yeah but it was announced before the game came out that it wouldn't have a story mode because all the cutscenes ended up on YouTube. Of course they still could've did something more like Melee's Adventure Mode so... yeah
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:45 pm

Sakurai's ridiculous notions about cutscenes + too many people whining that there was "no story" to SSE (translation: they just didn't pick up on the story) = No SSE sequel. :(
Not even considering something like Melee's Adventure Mode, though, is just salt in the wound. :(

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:51 pm

The cutscene story is probably just a PR explanation. I think the reality is that Brawl's SSE took a lot of time and budget to realize and they just didn't want to go through that again.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:54 pm

the cutscene thing is so dumb. literally every single video game in its entirety ends up on youtube.

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:29 am

Why no Adventure Mode?

Adventure Mode was one of the best things about Melee.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:54 am

Yeah I liked Adventure Mode too.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:20 pm

I loved adventure mode and I'm in love with SSE and I'm mourning what could have been if they did something with Smash 4. But they didn't. :(

Like I'm not kidding when I say that's probably the biggest selling point for me when it comes to smash games. The multiplayer and battles are a lot of fun, and this installment kicked ass on that front, but I can't just do battles when playing by myself for hours on end. I know some people can but that ain't me. Where's my story mode and platformers dammit

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:40 pm

[QUOTE="Apollo the Just, post: 1624144, member: 30977"]the cutscene thing is so dumb. literally every single video game in its entirety ends up on youtube.[/QUOTE]
Let's not pretend that Sakurai is a rational human being
Carthago delendum est

Antisocial

Post by Antisocial » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:51 pm

One of the things I loved most about Adventure Mode was that it warranted the existence of enemy entities. And in Melee, they decided to throw those in as an Easter egg in normal multiplayer mode, where they have a low chance of spawning out of an item container. Which then provided me an oft-reminisced memory of me throwing a ****ing ReDead in my cousin's face and killing him during a match, resulting in a lot of frenzied shock and screaming.

BUT I GUESS I CAN'T DO THAT ANYMORE CAN I SAKURAI

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:14 am

You know, there's no true Adventure Mode, but I had a lot of fun with Smash Run on 3DS.
Carthago delendum est

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:27 pm

Started up a new file of Subspace Emissary since I've been thinking a lot about it recently. Yo, that **** is so good. I hadn't played it since pretty much right after Brawl's release but I appreciate it even more now because I've played and love a ton more games referenced in it since (Pokémon RSE/DPP, EarthBound, Mother 3, Twilight Princess - I had played it at the time but didn't like it as much as I do now - etc.). It's a LOT of fun just purely gameplay-wise, but the story is great because you get completely **** bonkers teams interacting with each other and it's just the best crossover plot of all time tbh.

I need to get my roommate to play with me bc multiplayer is even better than single player. Too bad she's a filthy casual.

PataPanfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by PataPanfan » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:47 pm

subspace emissary is the greatest crossover fic ever
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:21 am

It even has Sanic come out of nowhere at the very end to save the day. Are we sure Sakurai didn't steal this from FanFiction.net?

PataPanfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by PataPanfan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:28 am

if only mii fighter was in brawl to serve as a self-insert character who is pretty and popular with everyone else
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:15 am

^ REASONS SM4SH NEEDED A SSE STYLE ADVENTURE MODE !!!!!!!!

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:21 am

[QUOTE="CaptHayfever, post: 1624141, member: 25169"]Sakurai's ridiculous notions about cutscenes + too many people whining that there was "no story" to SSE (translation: they just didn't pick up on the story) = No SSE sequel. :frown: [/QUOTE]
People actually complained about this ****? It was Nintendo's best, most original effort for years and one of the only to really handle their characters competently. That's so ridiculous.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Return to “Super Smash Bros.: Final Destination”