Moderator: CaptHayfever

CaptHayfever
Supermod

RUMOR: Smash to be NX launch title

Post by CaptHayfever » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:24 am

http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-nx-smash-bros/
Nintendo NX rumored to launch with Smash Bros. game
Connor Sheridan January 28, 2016

Nintendo NX will launch with some kind of Super Smash Bros., according to a well-known industry analyst. Dr. Serkan Toto, who frequently shares his views and predictions for the Japanese gaming industry on his Twitter account, dropped some new business forecasts that should be interesting for Nintendo fans:

Tweet 1

Tweet 2

Any external analysis is potentially inaccurate, particularly the kind that's shared on Twitter rather than sold to market research firms. But Toto's prediction sounds realistic, assuming that the Smash Bros. game in question is an upgraded version of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS (given that six years passed between the last two Smash games, it would probably not be an all-new title).

An upgraded version of the fourth Smash Bros. game could bundle in DLC characters like Bayonetta, and potentially even all-new challengers. If persistent rumors of NX incorporating both handheld and home console components are true, the game could bridge the gap between the Wii U and 3DS versions by featuring all the maps and modes in one package. That would help make NX extra appealing to lapsed Nintendo fans who sat out the last generation, and it would fit with Nintendo's history of sprucing up older games to fill out new platforms: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess launched on both Wii and Gamecube almost simultaneously, for example, and now Twilight Princess HD is set to hit Wii U on March 4.

It's more difficult to speculate about those unspecified Bandai Namco NX titles. Bandai Namco led development on Super Smash Bros. for Wii U & 3DS, so Nintendo may keep leaning on the company to complement its limited internal development resources. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised to see an NX Mario or Zelda game with a prominent Bandai Namco credit (or maybe just more Pac-Man cameos).
Like the author, I also think a new SSB is ridiculous to expect so soon; if this information is even true*, what we're looking at is most likely just a port of Smash 4.

*It probably isn't.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:28 pm

I still don't get why they're making a new system already. I mean, maybe they've done the market research and everyone else had a different reason, but I know I didn't buy one because they lost my trust after utterly failing to bring in third parties with the Wii. Doing an even worse job of that and then replacing it in four years - before many of even their best first party titles were represented - does absolutely nothing to restore confidence. Nintendo makes more good games than a lot of companies, but no one can sustain a system on their own, and it looks to me like they've learned the wrong lesson from the Wii U's failure.

I really hope the predictions are wrong and this thing either doesn't exist at all or isn't intended as a replacement.

Random User

Post by Random User » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:13 pm

Nintendo has stated before that the NX is not intended as a replacement for the Wii U nor the 3DS.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ninten ... 0-6427326/

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:16 pm

It might be if it proves popular enough though. The DS wasn't intended as a replacement for the GBA after all.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:18 pm

It definitely will be a replacement for at least one. Nintendo would be stupid to split their games between three consoles, they already have enough problem with two.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:31 pm

^That. The Wii U doesn't have the market share to compete with two more popular consoles, let alone three. There's no way that they don't end up with either two failures or one dead console if the two are competing at all. Of course, if they release it more as a handheld, then it's competing with the 3DS and they have to explain why they made people waste money on a N3DS.

The only way I see that it doesn't compete with either of them is if it's some sort of companion hardware that imitates what the Vita and PS4 do or if they're making a phone. The former doesn't make much sense if they're developing games for it (unless it lets you use the 3DS as a controller, maybe) and the latter seems delusional.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:42 pm

The speculation is some sort of hybrid brand with separate SKUs for handheld and console.

N3DS was basically a software refresh to get a few more sales. I think there's about one exclusive it has (and it's a port lol) and the upcoming 3DS release schedule is pretty dry.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:13 pm

I'd heard that, but I thought it was just a rumor since no one had repeated it in ages. I'm also not really looking for info on the NX, though, so that may be the real explanation.

The N3DS has Xenoblade as the only real exclusive and Majora as an "enhanced" version, I think. The problem with it versus something like the 2DS, SP, or XL, is that they immediately announced exclusive or semi-exclusive titles from major series. It was an obvious attempt to get current owners to make the upgrade as well, but they made no attempt to make the purchase worthwhile after those initial releases. Maybe they know their fans better than me and think it won't matter, but as someone who didn't buy a N3DS specifically because I expected them to pull a DSi, seeing them actually do it would not inspire confidence to buy a new system. I feel like they're in an impossible situation where releasing it to any market is going to make people feel betrayed and hurt the business even more.

Guess we'll find out later in the year. :/

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:21 pm

^Smash 3DS is also enhanced on the New 3DS with C-stick support and faster load times.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:04 am

This is kind of smart but adds even more to the "well why the f*** did I even buy a Wii U" thing in the first place. It doesn't have many must-have exclusives, something a system like Wii U needs. If this is just SSB4 on NX then it is kind of scary for another reason; maybe they'll push SSB5 even further into the future.

As for the other conversation going on here about NX releasing too soon, the time gap between Wii U and NX isn't that much smaller than what there was between N64/NGC and NGC/Wii, about a year depending on when/if NX launches this year. If we look at Nintendo's handhelds then we see GBC/GBA was a 3 year gap, same for GBA/NDS.

If we look at other companies, Sega's Master System to Genesis release was only 3 years, and Saturn to Dreamcast was only 4 years. Same for Xbox/360 release, 4 years. It's not too rare to have a shorter cycle. I'm sure it happened a ton pre-NES and it's happening now (probably) and it's for the best in the long run. Wii U was a terrible idea, just like its predecessor.

Auron

Post by Auron » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:09 am

Do they pull an Ultimate MvC and add like, 8 new characters as well? Maybe add Smash Run? Or will it be a straight up port of the Wii U version? This is what I want to know.

Kargath

Post by Kargath » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:43 am

All DLC included please :D
Why is it drug addicts and computer afficionados are both called users?
-Clifford Stoll

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:51 am

[QUOTE="CaptHayfever, post: 1584177, member: 25169"]if this information is even true*

*It probably isn't.[/QUOTE]
And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:53 am

If the NX is a portable system that can play Wii U and 3DS software as well as connect to the TV, they will have my rapt attention.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Random User

Post by Random User » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:10 pm

[QUOTE="Hell Orb, post: 1584319, member: 25415"]If the NX is a portable system that can play Wii U and 3DS software as well as connect to the TV, they will have my rapt attention.[/QUOTE]
I imagine it may be, and the "X" in NX is to denote cross-platform play or something.

Auron

Post by Auron » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:57 pm

^^^Killjoy...

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilink » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:22 am

If this is true, it's basically a guarantee that it will be a "definitive version" of Smash 4, all DLC and updates included.

And, actually, I suspect this is true, because that would mean that Bayonetta and Corrin being the final characters would make sense with this timing. Nintendo made a boatload of money off of DLC, so it's kind of surprising that they'd stop now (especially when they have room for 2 more on the CSS, grumble grumble).
Carthago delendum est

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:27 pm

^ Maybe they'll add two exclusives to the NX version. That would be good incentive to buy or even rebuy SSB.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:48 pm

Finally, Sigurd joins the fight.

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilink » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:12 pm

Hector offers his axe!
Carthago delendum est

Return to “Super Smash Bros.: Final Destination”