CaptHayfever
Supermod

Other Thing of the Month #77: Careful, Icarus

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:14 pm

PROJECT M

Featured in: The Internet
Function: Turning Brawl into Melee

Trivia:
--A copy of Brawl was required for the Project M hack to function.
--Heavily altered characters' moves, graphic design, stats, & alt costumes.
--Separated Samus from ZSS & separated Squirtle, Ivysaur, & Charizard from each other.
--Straight-up replaced several Brawl stages with Melee stages, N64 stages, or entirely new stages.
--Added a Castlevania-inspired stage, then turned it into a Mario stage to avoid copyright issues.
--Removed many stage hazards.
--Although they brought Mewtwo & Roy into Brawl with PM, they didn't bring Young Link or Pichu, & Doc only appears as an alt costume for Mario.
--Released in Feb 2011 & discontinued in Dec 2015 (presumably to prevent legal issues arising from plans to add brand new characters into the mod).

Title is a Craig Ferguson reference.
I've said it before & I'll say it again: Project M was a very interesting programming experiment, & I'm sure it was fun to play (never got around to it, personally), but the unmitigated arrogance of the PM team (or, at the very least, of their copy-writer) still floors me to this day.

NOTE: No new info about Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will appear in Thing of the Month until the game is released. Please keep the replies spoiler-free. Full discussion is allowed, as usual, in non-Thing-of-the-Month threads.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Return to “Super Smash Bros.: Final Destination”