If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

I finally got a next gen!

Wherein we discuss the Xbox one, the Xbox 360, and the Xbox One

Moderator: The Missing Link

Thanous

I finally got a next gen!

Post by Thanous » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:14 am

I guess it's current gen but whatever lol I finally got an xbox one! Picked up sunset overdrive, battlefront, ac unity, the crew, ff type 0, and rare replay/gears definitive edition. Also pre ordered ff15 lol so hyped to finally be able to play this game

Who else got an xbone? Drop them GT's!

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:54 pm

just in time for next gen to start in ~6 months

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:03 pm

^XBox One and PS4 have at least another year and a half left in them.
Carthago delendum est

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:07 pm

[QUOTE="Frederlink the Wise, post: 1612400, member: 23215"]^XBox One and PS4 have at least another year and a half left in them.[/QUOTE]

Sony consoles generally have a 10 year lifespan but that doesn't mean next gen isn't kicking off next year with Switch. PS2 still had games up until near the release of PS4 but was still basically two gens behind.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:16 pm

Nintendo has sort of gotten off of the "generation" game altogether at this point. The Switch might be "next gen," but I don't think that makes the PS4 and XBone "last gen" yet. It's just that things are sort of staggered now.
Carthago delendum est

Thanous

Post by Thanous » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:31 pm

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE PUMPKINS!, post: 1612358, member: 18119"]just in time for next gen to start in ~6 months[/QUOTE]
broke life

Sonic 5

Post by Sonic 5 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:37 am

[QUOTE="Thanous, post: 1612406, member: 38553"]broke life[/QUOTE]

That "patient gamer" life is the way to go. Absolute must-have games almost never come out in the first year of the console's life. Early adopters also get screwed on the price pretty often (see: anyone who payed $250 for a 3DS).

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:10 am

Nice! Welcome to 2007 PC gaming. *gets hit in head by someone's shoe*
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:27 am

2007 PC game, on Ultra Max settings on a $2000 rig, made by an elite team of professionals with a budget of $60 million American dollars:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

The sequel on giga next level tip top settings, released THIS year with a budget of $200 million dollars, and can only run with a room-sized computer and a **** of icecubes (they had to recall the game because people died of fire):

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

2016 XBox One™ game, made by a ragtag group of courageous underprivileged youth with a budget of 12 cashews and a few rocks:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Justify this.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:22 am

[QUOTE="Frederlink the Wise, post: 1612402, member: 23215"]Nintendo has sort of gotten off of the "generation" game altogether at this point. The Switch might be "next gen," but I don't think that makes the PS4 and XBone "last gen" yet. It's just that things are sort of staggered now.[/QUOTE]

I don't know that they have. I'm not sure how a "generation" is defined in console gaming, but I don't think it is just graphical prowess, because the Atari 5200 & 7800 are considered to be from different generations despite the graphical leap being among the smallest. Even Wii U looked significantly better than 360, at least more of a difference there than the Atari example.

I'm not saying PS4 is obsolete, just considered last gen now. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:44 am

It's probably more technically correct to use it to indicate order of release, but I think the understood usage is to indicate that games that stress "next gen" wouldn't run on the current one at all without significant downgrades. No one is going to call the current consoles last gen if SEGA suddenly returns to the console market with a renamed Dreamcast, after all.

Also, X-3, those are some major Watcher 3 spoilers. I can clearly read that that quest is "The Beas of White Drechard: Ask the hurter Willere he lound the toad egg." People might as well not even play it if they know that.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:50 am

X-3, post: 1612430, member: 27765 wrote:2007 PC game, on Ultra Max settings on a $2000 rig, made by an elite team of professionals:

The Witcher was CDPR's first game, that's a bad screen, and ... oh wait you're joking aren't you.
The sequel on giga next level tip top settings, released THIS year with a budget of $200 million dollars, and can only run with a room-sized computer and a ****load of icecubes (they had to recall the game because people died of fire):

That's not max settings. I guess you're joking?

2016 XBox One™ game, made by a ragtag group of courageous underprivileged youth with a budget of 12 cashews and a few rocks:
O I C
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:50 am

Generations are usually defined by themes. Some of these themes are technical or graphical in nature (i.e., the 16-bit era is what launched Gen 4); some of these are purely stationed around features (like social media integration, physical mediums, and the like).

As with generations in the people sense, it is generally difficult to define "exactly" which generation one is in. I was born in 1980; am I in Gen X, or am I a Millennial? IT IS A MYSTERY. No one knows because the start date for Millennials extends anywhere between 1978 and 1982. Or is that Gen Y thing still a thing? I DO NOT KNOW.

Is the Switch part of Gen 9? NOBODY KNOWS. It will only be figured out when the next theme is figured out.
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:02 pm

I get where you're coming from , but if you do a Family Feud on "Name something that separates the 360/PS3 and One/PS4", you're going to get "latter are more powerful" a lot more than "the first two made online multiplayer networks an expected core feature of consoles and the latter two want you to post and stream about them." Online stores and motion controls are about the only things all of last gen's consoles really had in common, but the Wii's store was hardly comparable to PSN or XBox Live, and I doubt many people put the Move or Kinect in their top 5 features for the PS3 or 360. Themes are a perfectly valid way of drawing generation boundaries, but, at least in my experience, it's not the most prevalent definition.

I don't think people generations are a good comparison, because conversations about those are about vague groups, not individuals. Someone saying "Congress is leaving that problem for the next generation" is not using that as a stand in for "the specific 30 million unborn individuals of Billy, Susie..." Someone who says (see this thread) "I want a next generation console" is using that as a stand-in for the specific boxes released or to be released by specific fancy box manufacturers until they decide to make different fancy boxes instead. The terms serve different purposes in everyday conversation.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:08 pm

Easy operation.

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:27 pm

[QUOTE="I am nobody, post: 1612460, member: 34539"]I get where you're coming from , but if you do a Family Feud on "Name something that separates the 360/PS3 and One/PS4", you're going to get "latter are more powerful" a lot more than "the first two made online multiplayer networks an expected core feature of consoles and the latter two want you to post and stream about them."[/QUOTE]

Except if more power/better graphics are the only thing that defines a "generation" in the classic sense, the Wii would place itself back one generation whilst PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio would define an entirely new generation. Neither of these are the case.

A lot of what defines generations, really, if we're being truly honest with ourselves, is proximity in time. Nothing more, nothing less. "Oh hey, the Xbox One and the PS4 and the Wii U came out around one another. Let's make them a generation. Why? Well let's backfill some BS explanation with which to get there."

People generations are the exact same thing. They're grouped by proximity in time, and then BS explanations are backfilled with which to get there.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:46 pm

I'm not defending this as the best way to do things, but I strongly suspect it's what's going on in the background. If the Switch comes out and isn't noticeably more powerful than the PS4/One, I really don't think you're going to see most people calling them last gen. Not unless Sony or Microsoft changes their mind and allows Scorpio or Pro games that don't run on the original models, anyway.

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:52 pm

Hence the point. "Generations" are essentially decided after the fact.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:38 am

I might have bought a now-current-gen console if I had an HDTV.

I'll upgrade to an HDTV if my current model croaks, but it'll be a cold day in hell before I huck out a perfectly good functional SDTV just because it ain't the newest thing. It'd be like throwing my clip-knife out just because it wasn't quite as nice as some other clip-knife out there. It cuts things, I can snap it open and close it one-handed, I can jab someone in the eye with it---------how much more improvement can there be? "Oh, it's got partial serration"-----------piss off. Serration is for pricks. Like how terrible at 'knife' does one have to be before serration even comes into mind. Ugh. (Boo the 'serration is best on saws, not knives, thanks' guy.)

Heck, maybe I wouldn't have got one of the new consoles, anyway. My backlog is plenty big enough as it is, and that's without an extra 300-dollar lump of electronics brooding next to the TV stand like a big ugly dog nobody wants to play with.
boo-----------------------he just won't leave

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:51 am

I'm looking forward to that 4K PS4 version, actually. There's a few titles that, if it can run them well, I will be all over.

Return to “Microsoft Xbox”