If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Wherein we discuss the Xbox one, the Xbox 360, and the Xbox One

Moderator: The Missing Link

Bad Dragonite

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Post by Bad Dragonite » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:39 am

This game, man.
Okay this has been out for a while, but I recently picked it back up, and oh my gosh. This is one of the most awesome games ever. In this game you play Sgt Rex "Power " Colt, a cyber-commando on his mission for revenge against his former commanding officer who wants to take over the world. Sound cliche? Good! This game is a giant parody of 80's action movie in every way. Every 80's action movie trope is there. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Even the loading screen has static on it and instead of saying"Loading" it says "tracking." They put that much attention to detail in this throughout. Even little seemingly insignificant missions are littered with moments of subverting your expectation brilliantly. Like I don't react much to games, I'd be a horrible lper because of it, but this game got lots of genuine reactions from me. It's not a long game but it's not too short. It's pretty well paced, and it's satisfying enough to just run around running over cyber sharks with jet skis and ziplining down a mountain to an enemy base to take down three guys with a knife, a shuriken, and a laser rifle respectively that you can definitely get extra play out of it. It rewards you for either being stealthy or for going in guns a blazin, so it's not limited to any one playstyle for the most part. It's also a fairly good game for completionists if that's your deal with lots of collectibles throughout. The game looks pretty great, with an art style thats like a mix of tron, aliens, and terminator melted together t1000 style. And you can be assured there are references to those throughout. The game is filled with pop culture references that I wont spoil here. The music is phenomenal. It's filled with cheesy 80's music and a bunch of acid and techno mixes with lots and lots of synthwork. Even though it's an expansion for Farcry 3 You don't have to own it to play it. This game is worth every penny of its actually fairly low asking price. And I was legit smiling as I saw the credits because it was just a super awesome, super fun, super nostalgiac experience. Check it out.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow
-Your offense only makes me stronger.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:49 am

The aforementioned Blood Dragon, careful of the eye lazers.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:49 am

It's the only game in the series I have any interest in. Looks fun.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:17 am

I can say farcry 3 is at least as fun though there's alot less comedy, it's still there though. And there's a crapton more to do in general Also 3 has multiplayer and a epic map maker but ehto each their own.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:38 am

Well I tried FC3 a bit. Too realistic for me (not "realistic" realistic but you know what I mean).

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:27 pm

I didn't play this, but [USER=40038]@SmackDownPete[/USER] did, and he enjoyed it.

The original Far Cry 3 not so much though.

Also reminder to anyone interested, Blood Dragon is standalone. You do not need the original Far Cry 3 to play it.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:06 pm

I'd get it, but... Uplay. There's no better way to kill any and all interest in a game.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:14 am

^ What is it and is it necessary?

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:50 am

uplay isn't needed for blood dragon no, at least on the 360, but yeah uplay is dumb.

its a ubisoft sponsored service that you have to sign up for on most ubisoft games, it gives you little bonuses occasionally and has a social aspect, but it's main purpose is to go against used game sales. Like to play any online matches in alot ubisoft games you have to register that game with a code that came in the original package. Though you can pay a fee to get a new code. EA has a similar system. It's at best annoying, at worst it's just greedy and bad for gaming and consumers. That said I'm pretty sure it's not needed for blood dragon, since its a digits only game with no multiplayer to speak of. It's still worth it either way though imo
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:24 am

^ Wow, Ubisfot and EA suck. Good thing I don't like many of their games. Sucks to hear FCBD doesn't have multiplayer but oh well, I probably would only try it a couple times anyway.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:36 am

I don't buy Ubisoft and EA games because of their **** bloatware, and how they treat their staff and customers.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:11 am

still not as bad as konami
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:13 am

It is necessary on PC, unfortunately. One experience with that garbage was enough to guarantee I never buy anything that uses it again. Origin is markedly more usable, but I get not wanting to use it because of their business practices.

As for Konami.... **** Konami.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:20 am

I hope Konami keeps making games, personally. They hold some good IP hostage. I mostly want a good Yu-Gi-Oh for 3DS/Vita instead of that trash they released, Carnival something. If they at least sold the rights of Bomberman, Suikoden, Contra, Bloody Roar, Silent Hill, and Metal Gear then they could just focus on pachinko. Oh, and Lost in Blue was good. There's probably more I can't think of but those are the biggies.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:21 am

^^ and ^^^ well if you ever the chance to try the game it's at least worth checking out ^_^ in this case I'd say the developers did great in spite of the publisher's checkered track record.

^ yeah they have fantastic ips, even some that are not well known but still good, they're just run by a bunch of unappreciative, apparently unintelligent, spiteful a-holes.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:02 pm

update: The game is currently on sale on the Xbox store for gold members for $3.74 along with the rest of the farcry series.
It's also about half off in the Humble store now.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

TEDDY!

Post by TEDDY! » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:18 am

[QUOTE="Vgfian, post: 1582433, member: 32425"]This game, man.
Okay this has been out for a while, but I recently picked it back up, and oh my gosh. This is one of the most awesome games ever. In this game you play Sgt Rex "Power " Colt, a cyber-commando on his mission for revenge against his former commanding officer who wants to take over the world. Sound cliche? Good! This game is a giant parody of 80's action movie in every way. Every 80's action movie trope is there. EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. Even the loading screen has static on it and instead of saying"Loading" it says "tracking." They put that much attention to detail in this throughout. Even little seemingly insignificant missions are littered with moments of subverting your expectation brilliantly. Like I don't react much to games, I'd be a horrible lper because of it, but this game got lots of genuine reactions from me. It's not a long game but it's not too short. It's pretty well paced, and it's satisfying enough to just run around running over cyber sharks with jet skis and ziplining down a mountain to an enemy base to take down three guys with a knife, a shuriken, and a laser rifle respectively that you can definitely get extra play out of it. It rewards you for either being stealthy or for going in guns a blazin, so it's not limited to any one playstyle for the most part. It's also a fairly good game for completionists if that's your deal with lots of collectibles throughout. The game looks pretty great, with an art style thats like a mix of tron, aliens, and terminator melted together t1000 style. And you can be assured there are references to those throughout. The game is filled with pop culture references that I wont spoil here. The music is phenomenal. It's filled with cheesy 80's music and a bunch of acid and techno mixes with lots and lots of synthwork. Even though it's an expansion for Farcry 3 You don't have to own it to play it. This game is worth every penny of its actually fairly low asking price. And I was legit smiling as I saw the credits because it was just a super awesome, super fun, super nostalgiac experience. Check it out.[/QUOTE]
Oh ya it was great experience for 6 hours. Probably the shortest darn game I have ever played. Still a good game though.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:19 am

Actually just found out today that the game's soundtrack was done by Powerglove, which in hindsight makes total sense xD
-Bow Chika Bow Wow

PlayerUp

Post by PlayerUp » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:50 am

yes the soundstrack was done by powerglove which is good!

Return to “Microsoft Xbox”