If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Game recommendations?

Wherein we discuss the Xbox one, the Xbox 360, and the Xbox One

Moderator: The Missing Link

GreenMagic469

Game recommendations?

Post by GreenMagic469 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:41 am

Hey guys,

Currently I only have an Xbox 360, but I'm looking for games of a particular type that I haven't been able to find yet. I'm hoping I can describe the kind of games I'm looking for and maybe you guys can make some recommendations. One thing too, I don't really like to purchase XBLA titles, I only want physical discs, so that might make it quite a bit harder but let's see whatcha got!

Okay, I'm looking for...

- An MMORPG (or equivelant), something in the vein of Phantasy Star Online, Ragnarok, WoW, something like that. I want to be able to interact with other humans in towns and whatnot.

- A really good platformer. I enjoy playing Banjo Kazooie on the 360 all the time, but sometimes I crave a more traditional platformer. Something like Super Mario Galaxy or Sonic, those kind of things.

- An old school shooter, something similar to Timesplitters, Goldeneye, etc. That means, no iron sights, no sprinting, weapon sets instead of loadouts, deathmatch etc.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:55 pm

Val's been a Nintendo fanboy his whole life, so he can't offer much here. His brother has a 360, though the only game Val really played on it was Resident Evil 5.

For platformers, Val has heard lots of good things about Rayman Legends. Val doesn't know any recent old-school shooters released for the 360, but... Doom and Duke Nukem 3D are on XBLA. :shrug:

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:10 pm

Man you're old fashioned (like me. I'm supposed to be the odd one that avoids digital titles. Or at least I was. I blame Steam. >_>)

For MMORPGs you have a somewhat limited line-up. You have Defiance (the one based off of the show), Final Fantasy 11 (but that's really old and I don't know if it's still gonna be around for much longer), and Monster Hunter Frontier. That's all I can find.

As for traditional platformers, those are even rarer, especially if you don't want to go through old game collection discs. I'll go with Val and Rayman Legends (ignoring the game's past with Microsoft).

And for Doom like shooters I recommend the Serious Sam Collection. It's a game full of enemy waves and you WILL die, but it contains most of what you're looking for.

If you want anything else, feel free to ask. I'll be around somewhere. Probably. :cool:

Thanous

Post by Thanous » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:45 pm

[QUOTE="Tazzberry, post: 1494167, member: 19345"]Man you're old fashioned (like me. I'm supposed to be the odd one that avoids digital titles. Or at least I was. I blame Steam. >_>)

For MMORPGs you have a somewhat limited line-up. You have Defiance (the one based off of the show), Final Fantasy 11 (but that's really old and I don't know if it's still gonna be around for much longer), and Monster Hunter Frontier. That's all I can find.

As for traditional platformers, those are even rarer, especially if you don't want to go through old game collection discs. I'll go with Val and Rayman Legends (ignoring the game's past with Microsoft).

And for Doom like shooters I recommend the Serious Sam Collection. It's a game full of enemy waves and you WILL die, but it contains most of what you're looking for.

If you want anything else, feel free to ask. I'll be around somewhere. Probably. :cool: [/QUOTE]
Get defiance for sure, fantastic game, good show, all fun. Also there's final fantasy 14, and I think there is a phantasy star online for 360 too, idk if it's still online.

is your 360 the kind to play og xbox games?

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:54 pm

'Defiance' is pretty hype. Kind of the intersection of MMO and 'Borderlands'.

As far as platformers go...well, there's the Lego games. That 'Simpsons' game was pretty good. I liked the 'Prince of Persia' reboot (though that arguably might not count as a platformer).

'Quake 4' is pretty old-school FPS-y. Oh, and check out 'The Orange Box'.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

Thanous

Post by Thanous » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:55 pm

[QUOTE="Booyakasha, post: 1494196, member: 17381"]'Defiance' is pretty hype. Kind of the intersection of MMO and 'Borderlands'.

As far as platformers go...well, there's the Lego games. That 'Simpsons' game was pretty good. I liked the 'Prince of Persia' reboot (though that arguably might not count as a platformer).

'Quake 4' is pretty old-school FPS-y. Oh, and check out 'The Orange Box'.[/QUOTE]
simpsons game was fantastically fun. Prince of persia is definitely a platformer, and they are pretty awesome.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:08 pm

I can vouch for the excellence of Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends. Those games are aesthetically, functionally, and mechanically brilliant.
Carthago delendum est

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:41 pm

Incidentally, I understand you prefer physical copies, but if you're keen on a really rad 3D platformer, you might try out 'Psychonauts'.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

GreenMagic469

Post by GreenMagic469 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:53 pm

[QUOTE="Booyakasha, post: 1494216, member: 17381"]Incidentally, I understand you prefer physical copies, but if you're keen on a really rad 3D platformer, you might try out 'Psychonauts'.[/QUOTE]

You know what it is, I just like knowing that when Xbox Live goes offline, that if anything ever happened to Xbox/hard drive, I'd still be able to have my games to use if I purchased another. The idea of buying games on XBL only to eventually have my 360 die and not be able to recover them kind of sucks. Maybe that seems a little ridiculous, but I'm one of those people, I don't blow through games and then never look back, I enjoy playing my older games and reliving memories, so I want my games to stick around as long as possible.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:21 am

You can always track down a physical copy------the XBox iteration of 'Psychonauts' is playable on 360 (or at least I can play it on mine) (not that I do-----I held onto my XBox owing to incompleteness of backwards-compatibility). They're widely available even now, ten years later--------I had a look over at Amazon, and you can get a copy for about twelve bucks, give or take.

Thanous

Post by Thanous » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:01 am

psychonauts is pretty awesome, I played the pc version a while back and it was quite glitchy, but that's just cause my computer sucks XD

GreenMagic469

Post by GreenMagic469 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:51 am

Has anybody played Star Ocean on the 360? Is it similar to Phantasy Star at all? From what I've read/heard it's sort of like Tales of Symphonia but I can't really find a good video or article that tells me if this game has encounters, like in Final Fantasy, or if it's more of a hack n' slash game.

glux

Post by glux » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:37 pm

[QUOTE="GreenMagic469, post: 1494156, member: 39956"]- A really good platformer. I enjoy playing Banjo Kazooie on the 360 all the time, but sometimes I crave a more traditional platformer. Something like Super Mario Galaxy or Sonic, those kind of things.

- An old school shooter, something similar to Timesplitters, Goldeneye, etc. That means, no iron sights, no sprinting, weapon sets instead of loadouts, deathmatch etc.[/QUOTE]
I think Tomb Raider (2013) is a good fit. If you don't mind language and gore. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an option to turn off either one.
FTP

Return to “Microsoft Xbox”