If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Metroid: Samus Returns (and Metroid Prime 4)

Moderator: е и ժ е я

X-3

Metroid: Samus Returns (and Metroid Prime 4)

Post by X-3 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:14 pm

[MEDIA=youtube]UhOx-FpEAQk[/MEDIA]

It's a remake of Metroid 2 by MercurySteam. Metroid Prime 4 was also announced but all there is so far is an early logo.

Metroid lives!

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:20 pm

finally a reason to dust off my 3ds
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:40 pm

I can't wait to argue AM2R vs. Samus Returns
Carthago delendum est

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:28 pm

lmao I pictured Nintendo shutting down AM2R and are now like "hey here's another remake we totally wanted to do and only we thought about doing"
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:41 pm

I mean, the timeline is such that Samus's Return was definitely in development when the AM2R C&D got handed down. It's probably the primary reason for it.
Carthago delendum est

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:45 pm

AM2R will be hard to beat, but hopefully MS does a good job.

The Amazing Tazy Ten
Supporter

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:45 pm

Huh.

Daos

Post by Daos » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:22 pm

So happy that we finally get some more Metroid goodness.

Jere

Post by Jere » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:16 pm

Not going to lie here nursed a semi as i was watching that trailer
Beep Boop absolutely not a bot!

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:26 pm

yyyyyyyyyyyyyYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

Glad Samus is finally getting some love again. There are definitely going to be AM2R comparisons, and I hope SR can do at least as well. But that's a tall order to fill.

Can't wait to hear more about MP4. ****, I might actually have to buy a Switch now.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:57 am

MET ROID MET ROID ME TROID MEEETTTROOIIIIIDDDDDDD
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Cravdraa

Post by Cravdraa » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:46 am

Glad the series lives but... some stuff in that trailer already has me concerned...
Did you notice how quickly and precisely Samus's cannon and stream of shots followed whatever she was firing at?
That stuff looks like she was locked on, auto-aiming to me. Red flag.
and the finishing moves that were kinda meh in Other M are back.
If they're basing the gameplay off Other M then I am very, very concerned.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:54 am

I'd be super stoked about Samus Returns if AM2R didn't exist. In an extremely strange and probably immature way, I'm actually kind of disappointed that it has come to fruition.

I mean, I'll end up buying it anyway, simply because more 2D Metroid is what the world needs right now in these times.

Metroid Prime 4 just reminds me that I've never finished 1 or 2, and I've never played 3, though I have it on Wii U Virtual Console now. I've just never really been big on FPSs, which is probably the main thing that's hindered me from really getting into them as much as I'd like.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:45 am

[MEDIA=youtube]H09GVFbxFkI[/MEDIA]

Some more thoughts now that I've had time to let everything soak in.
  • Like Crav I was a little worried when the trailer made it seem like autoaim was coming back, which sort of made sense in a 3D game like Other M but shouldn't be necessary in a traditional 2D Metroid game. The gameplay demo seems to clear that issue up: holding the L button locks Samus in position and puts you in Free Aim mode, where you can aim in 360 degrees. Outside of Free Aim it seems you're limited to the traditional 8 degrees. I like the idea of free aim a lot, though I'd like a little more info on aiming outside of that mode (e.g. whether or not Samus can aim up or down while moving, as in Super Metroid).
  • Parrying and countering... I don't know how I feel about that. I remember being really worried about the melee attacks in Other M, yet those ended up being one of the few things in that game I didn't mind. So maybe they won't be that bad this time around either. If MercurySteam can make the counters flow with combat and not feel like stupid, pointlessly flamboyant QTEs then maybe it'll be fine. Based on the gameplay I've seen, it doesn't look too terrible. Countering properly has the added function of recharging your Aeion gauge, so it does seem to have some practical use besides causing damage (think Doom '16).
  • The Aeion abilities. Basically they're magic special abilities that require mana Aeion to use. They include the Scan Pulse, which reveals hidden blocks on screen and also expands the map, and the Lightning Shield, which causes damage you take to deplete your Aeion gauge rather than your health. It seems like an interesting concept.
  • Other things like the world layout, boss behavior, etc. has been modified. There are now also superheated rooms that require the Varia Suit to safely traverse. Samus can also grab and hold onto ledges, as well as wall jump.
  • I'm really glad MII finally has a map system. And as in AM2R, you can place pins on the map to mark locations of interest.
  • Teleporters allow quick access to different parts of the planet once activated. Another welcome feature, considering how tedious navigation could be in the original.
  • The game is being developed by MercurySteam. I don't have any personal experience with them, but they did do the Castlevania: Lords of Shadows games, which have gotten reviews ranging from "great" to "meh".
  • Kenji Yamamoto and Minako Hamano, who have composed music for much of the franchise including Super Metroid and the Prime series, are composing this game. Yay!
So I'm cautiously optimistic. SR looks like it could be pretty good, and I'll probably end up buying it.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:43 am

[QUOTE="Bomby, post: 1633140, member: 17840"]Metroid Prime 4 just reminds me that I've never finished 1 or 2, and I've never played 3, though I have it on Wii U Virtual Console now. I've just never really been big on FPSs, which is probably the main thing that's hindered me from really getting into them as much as I'd like.[/QUOTE]
To really 'get' the Prime series, I think it's best to appreciate it foremost as a first-person-adventure game, the sort where information gathering and puzzle solving (like Shadowgate or Myst) is the strongest aspect. The combat system is essentially very much the same as the 3D Zelda titles, just transposed into a new perspective and with greater range. If you approach it as a pure action FPS, you're bound to be disappointed even if you like action FPS. I think that, like Zelda, the atmospheric setting and physicality of the world is really the central pillar of its design.

I wouldn't blame you for finding Echoes a bit too dry, though. It felt rather punishing to me, and its munitions and toxic atmosphere mechanics were definitely anxiety-inducing. I'd like to see how I enjoy it more now that I'm successfully medicated, but I know the game inside-out for the most part, now.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:43 pm

MP4 is not being developed by Retro Studios. It's retaining Kensuke Tanabe as producer, though.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:29 am

As long as it isn't another MP3 in terms of NPC schlock.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:56 pm

I didn't mind the NPCs in MP3, they were sparse and didn't really interfere with the game outside the intro. Unlike Other M where they were still bog-standard bordering on pointless and ultimately all ended up dying after Samus spent the whole game playing nice with them.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Re: Metroid: Samus Returns (and Metroid Prime 4)

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:28 am

Less than two weeks to go for Samus Returns.

I'm still really conflicted. The game looks great and I'm really happy we're getting a new Metroid game (even if it is a remake). But I'm still not feeling it when it comes to single player games in general, and I'm not as eager for this (or even Prime 4) as I feel I should be. I'll probably be arguing with myself over whether or not to get it up until the release day. Aaauuugh, it's Breath of the Wild all over again.

Marilink
Supermod

Re: Metroid: Samus Returns (and Metroid Prime 4)

Post by Marilink » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:36 am

^My current plan is to buy it if for no other reason than to support the Metroid franchise. And, well, to compare it to AM2R.
But mostly the first one.

Return to “Metroid: Self-Destruct Sequence Activated”