If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Super Metroid Randomizer

Moderator: е и ժ е я

X-3

Super Metroid Randomizer

Post by X-3 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:18 pm

http://dessyreqt.github.io/smrandomizer/

This works like the LttP randomizer, in that it generates a ROM file with randomized item locations. You can choose between Casual, Speedrunner and Masochist modes, which I assume affects how difficult some of the item locations are. (ie: varia suit in lower norfair or something)

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:03 pm

Interesting. I wonder if the algorithm is designed to prevent reaching dead ends and being unable to progress with the items they have.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:04 pm

Maybe not. I got stuck on my first run on Casual, because of no Morph Ball or Missiles. Screw Attack and Space Jump let me access a Power Bomb, but without Morph Ball I could not use it. Maybe I'll double check after I get through this current second run.
edit: I figured it out

Completable seed: C0949919

edit: sorry, I was wrong, this is how difficulties work:
This is a fundamental shift in the way difficulties work. Instead of having "Easy", "Normal", and "Hard", the difficulties are now "Casual", "Speedrunner", and "Masochist." If you aren't a speedrunner, don't pick "Speedrunner." If you aren't a masochist, don't pick "Masochist." Easy as that.
  • A major overhaul of the randomization for all difficulties has taken place.
    • Among the changes, now Missile and Super Missile are possible first items in Speedrunner and higher difficulties.
  • Casual difficulty has the 100 normal items hidden from vanilla Super Metroid. A great intro for those who want to play something a little more random, but nothing tricky.
    • Also, no items will be hidden in the scenery on Casual except those normally hidden in vanilla Super Metroid.
So I think speedrunner/masochist removes some spawns to make things harder.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:56 pm

Ah yeah, I almost forgot about this one. I still intend on getting into it. Thanks for the reminder.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:24 pm

This is a pretty fun one: C2673538

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:30 pm

Ooh, I should check it out.
Carthago delendum est

Valigarmander
Supermod

Re: Super Metroid Randomizer

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:29 am

I still haven't checked this out, but there have been a few streams of Super Metroid randomized on Vinesauce recently that reminded me about this and re-piqued my interest in it. I think I'll give it a go sometime this week.

Return to “Metroid: Self-Destruct Sequence Activated”