If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Composer Hirokazu Tanaka says Happy 30th to Metroid!

Moderator: е и ժ е я

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Composer Hirokazu Tanaka says Happy 30th to Metroid!

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:20 pm

To celebrate Metroid's 30th, Tanaka has released a short medley of revisited sounds from the classic NES title:

https://soundcloud.com/hip_tanaka/happy ... ry-metroid

On the subject of Metroid, Tanaka shared these words via interview with Shinesparkers.net
I can only speak about the very first Metroid game, but...

Around the time of the original release, I never got the impression the game was especially popular. However, as time passed and the Internet came around, I became aware of just how popular it was, especially overseas.

The music in Metroid, I feel personally, was very different from the music in other games of the time; the sense of an individualistic sound design is very strong. I received some criticism - about the lack of melody, or how dark it sounded - but I felt I adhered to the tone of the game's story as I composed.

The fact that a piece of music containing only three notes has remained with everyone so long is really surprising to me. I think it's because that even before the music was in place, the game world of Metroid was fascinating. I have a lot of respect for the development staff from back then.

Knowing that even after thirty years the game is still supported by all sorts of people from around the world is a continuing source of courage for me as I continue to compose music; it gives me the confidence to believe in my own abilities, and pushes me forward.

From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank all the fans. The Metroid series continues to this day. I hope you will all continue to enjoy playing it.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:28 am

I really like Metroid's music. It's so different from the music of other games around the time (or even today), and it has this alien feel that makes it perfect for exploring Zebes.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:48 am

inb4 Nintendo takes it down 'cause Tanaka didn't clear this with them first

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:08 pm

[QUOTE="CaptHayfever, post: 1604631, member: 25169"]inb4 Nintendo takes it down 'cause Tanaka didn't clear this with them first

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"[/QUOTE]
IKR

Can they please get Tanaka back as composer, anyway? I'm kind of over hearing Kondo liberally basting every score with bad voice midi effects.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:30 pm

Hip is the best, man. I love that he did this.
Carthago delendum est

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:26 pm

Really, and who can't dig Kraid's Lair? That has to be some of the best, most unique and memorable game music ever.[DOUBLEPOST=1471811163,1471810936][/DOUBLEPOST]Click for the FDS version of Kraid's lair

Return to “Metroid: Self-Destruct Sequence Activated”