Samus is actually a trans woman according to canon.

Moderator: е и ժ е я

User avatar
LOOT
Banned
Posts: 22939
Joined: Mon May 28, 2001 1:00 am
Location: full time jail

#41

Post by LOOT » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:39 am

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!, post: 1545207, member: 18119 wrote:Shipping is just basically fan fiction, right? R34 has every variable covered, then, so that would be a non-issue. I can't even safely look for neat Death Note pictures on Google Images without sifting through a billion Kira x L trash.

By "stealing" I mean trying to wedge LGBT themes into characters, like the site I linked to:
Like I said earlier, it's easier for queer people to see similarities in characters and note that they may in fact be not-straight-cis

Isn't Blizzard allowed to clarify their characters? Why do you celebrate the possibility of Samus being trans but don't approve of Blizzard doing exactly what Nintendo did? That seems unfair. I personally don't think either company should have done so but that's just me.
Blizzard is notoriously anti-gay. They will never, EVER say any named character is outright gay. Their #lovewins twitter post was literally a fist taken from Hearthstone literally to cash in on the Supreme Court ruling. It isn't a matter of "oh, no, we actually screwed up on this character's name even though the players started making theories", it was beyond knee-jerk to make it known that the character in question was totally a straight cis character.

Meanwhile, like I said, they never actually made proper amends about the comments of Samus, so fair is fair we're keeping Samus a trans woman.

Fans can interpret things as they like, I know I do. That's part of the fun. Canon is something else entirely though. Kinda like Yamcha; everyone has it in their mind he is weak, it's a big joke now, but he actually isn't, and that's canon. He is implied to be at least stronger than Frieza's first form (Frieza Saga). That's me trying to squeeze a DBZ reference in so pardon me if it only makes half sense and isn't as related as I want it to be, haha.
haha look at this nerd trying to compare his DBZ knowledge to me WHEN DID YOU EVER OWN THE COMPLETE KAI BLU-RAY SET YEAH CHECKMATE

This has been brought up before somewhere, but the thing about fan-theory is that sometimes the creators take it so seriously they decide to implement it instead. It's actually a great exercise for the writers because if they had something else in mind now they have to write to balance in the new knowledge, and they find it challenging yet fun.
It's up to the individual to decide what is "worse." The same goes for what makes them "better." From that same site:



I will throw your question back at you. How does this makes Samus better? I heard similar things about The Last of Us, how the game was so much better for having a subplot about gay guys. I mean, really now.
How does it make her better? For starters, it shouldn't make her worse. Remember the whole "Adam" thing is considered one of the lowest points in Metroid history. Scratch out any romance in Metroid, Samus is this strong woman that traverses entire planets, hunts down space pirates because they piss her off, and saves cute little critters, even the last Metroid that thinks she's its mother, the same species that she absolutely loathes.

So take out the romance, and Samus is still this badass space-warrior that blasts the crap out of everything. Being trans would be a very minor note but let me tell you, the heroes of early video games were usually made to help young'uns, especially before high school age, to identify with in their endeavors to help humanity. To have a hero like Samus be a gender not like her sex, that would break a lot of insecurity with queer audiences, even if they don't identify as trans. Bravery is one of the most admirable traits in old games, is it not?

User avatar
I REALLY HATE POKEMON!
Posts: 28106
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 1:00 am
Location: California, U.S.A
Been thanked: 2 times

#42

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:40 am

Loot, post: 1546143, member: 21459 wrote:Like I said earlier, it's easier for queer people to see similarities in characters and note that they may in fact be not-straight-cis
I don't follow. If a character isn't stated as gay/straight then it's all speculation up until that point.
Loot]Blizzard is notoriously anti-gay. They will never wrote:
I don't see how they can be notoriously anti-gay and post that hashtag. You just seem to be getting "notoriously gay" and "not pandering to LGBT" mixed up.
Loot]Meanwhile wrote:
It's status as canon is debatable in the first place.
Loot]haha look at this nerd trying to compare his DBZ knowledge to me WHEN DID YOU EVER OWN THE COMPLETE KAI BLU-RAY SET YEAH CHECKMATE[/quote] [i]kai[/i] lmao no faulconer no watch no original funimation dub cast no watch [quote=Loot]This has been brought up before somewhere wrote:
Well, that's interesting in itself but it isn't a rule. Pretty sure we'll never see guys like this in a Sonic game:


Image
Instead of arguing if it makes her better or worse, let's just say it doesn't make her better or worse. What now? She's arbitrarily altered and she is no better for it, and the only thing you can pretty much come up with is that LGBT would like it.

Bravery is admirable, but I don't ever get why they have to be just like you to be able to identify with a character. I guess some people need that, though.

User avatar
е и ժ е я
Supermod
Posts: 41090
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 16 times
Contact:

#43

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:35 am

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE POKEMON!, post: 1546151, member: 18119"] I don't ever get why they have to be just like you to be able to identify with a character.[/QUOTE]
I don't care about that so much, but I am disappointed that Sakamoto wants Samus to be another stick-thin blonde chick in heels. They've got enough of them.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

User avatar
I REALLY HATE POKEMON!
Posts: 28106
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 1:00 am
Location: California, U.S.A
Been thanked: 2 times

#44

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:23 am

^ There's not a lot to be done about characters being thin, really. As for having enough blondes, Nintendo has plenty of non-blondes. Just look at Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, and Pokemon if you want hair diversity, for example. And heels, I assume that's just something you said to punctuate your point because most Nintendo girls don't wear heels.

User avatar
е и ժ е я
Supermod
Posts: 41090
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 16 times
Contact:

#45

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:33 am

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE POKEMON!, post: 1546158, member: 18119"]^ There's not a lot to be done about characters being thin, really. [/QUOTE]
Eh, Samus has been depicted as being really well-cut/muscular before. Not like, creepy weight-lifter huge, but just obviously capable of being a warrior. It's part of the Ellen Ripley thing, she's a likable character because she puts practicality before being dainty, which is exactly the opposite with Other M.

As for heels, well Peach had it covered and Bayonetta's under Nintendo's wing now. Peach isn't exactly the same sort of material and Bayonetta's tongue-in-cheek sexualised action, like a female Duke Nukem.

Image
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

User avatar
I REALLY HATE POKEMON!
Posts: 28106
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 1:00 am
Location: California, U.S.A
Been thanked: 2 times

#46

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:55 am

Well, going off her first appearance, it seems she was intended to be thin but I'm sure Samus has varied over the games, though.

User avatar
Random User
Posts: 12982
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:54 am
Location: SECRET BASE INSIDE SNAKE MOUNTAIN
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:

#47

Post by Random User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:25 am

Image
Seems pretty muscular to me.

User avatar
I REALLY HATE POKEMON!
Posts: 28106
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 1:00 am
Location: California, U.S.A
Been thanked: 2 times

#48

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:36 am

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Random User
Posts: 12982
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:54 am
Location: SECRET BASE INSIDE SNAKE MOUNTAIN
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 3 times
Contact:

#49

Post by Random User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:39 am

Lmao, did you expect muscle detail on the NES/GB?

User avatar
I REALLY HATE POKEMON!
Posts: 28106
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 1:00 am
Location: California, U.S.A
Been thanked: 2 times

#50

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:44 am

Image

User avatar
Valigarmander
Supermod
Posts: 49545
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: World -1
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 64 times
Contact:

#51

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:31 pm

Image

She's fairly robust in Super Metroid's ending.

User avatar
е и ժ е я
Supermod
Posts: 41090
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 16 times
Contact:

#52

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:14 am

^ that's what I mean
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

User avatar
Inferno Dragon
Posts: 6088
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2001 1:00 am
Location: Planet Draco

#53

Post by Inferno Dragon » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:57 pm

First off, anyone still trying to ship Korra in a hetero fashion is in fact stealing from the queer community, that's a start.
let me just stop you right there L00T, Korra and Asami were confirmed to both be bisexual due to both of them having a hetero relationship with Mako earlier in the series. saying they can't be shipped in a hetero style is bisexual erasure and goes against their cannon personality. Korra and Asami can be shipped with anyone else in the cast, guy or girl, and it would still validate their bisexuality shown IN CANNON. check your queer privilege L00T!

as for "Samus is trans guyz, fur realz, a dude at Nintendo sayz so." having Samus suddenly be trans devalues her as one of the first woman protagonists of gaming because of the unfortunate implications that en-tales. For example, "she's only as strong as she is because she was a man at one point." and "she wouldn't be able to do all of the things she does if she hadn't been a man at one point" and other s**t like that! by turning Samus trans it devalues female protagonists in gaming as a whole and causes more issues than it fixes. The fact that samus is a woman capable of single-handedly wiping out entire planets and bringing two of the most feared lifeforms in the galaxy to extinction (metroids and X parasites) makes her one of gaming's strongest women. but to make her trans you might as well put master chief or Boba Fett or any other dude in power armor in her place because at that point all her accomplishments become moot by saying "well she was a dude at one point sooo..." yeah, it kind of pisses me off. hell at that point let's just make all strong female protagonists trans! Laura Croft? TRANS! Sonya Belmont? TRANS! Bayonetta? TRANS! Lucina? TRANS! because hey, if Samus, one of the strongest female protagonists in history, can't be a strong woman without having to be A MAN at some point before the events of the games then why should any other woman, am I right?
beware the power of Bahamut\'s eldest son.

User avatar
I REALLY HATE POKEMON!
Posts: 28106
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 1:00 am
Location: California, U.S.A
Been thanked: 2 times

#54

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:18 pm

^ Although I mostly agree with everything you said, I think Samus is technically as strong as she is in canon due to an infusion of Chozo blood or something along those lines, but I know what you mean; it could and likely would be perceived as strength drawn from being born a man.

User avatar
I am nobody
Moderator
Posts: 12708
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:26 pm
Location: -89.97814998,-42.2333493
Been thanked: 20 times

#55

Post by I am nobody » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:23 pm

While I don't doubt there are some people that would argue it didn't count if she was transgender, that's one of the most egregious slippery slope arguments I've ever seen. How on earth do you go from revealing one female protagonist is a trans woman to saying literally every other must be the same?

Granting for sake of debate your argument than being born male is some kind of unfair +10 to heroism, how did you react when Lance Armstrong was revealed to have doped resulting in a +10 to cycling? I'm guessing it wasn't "If Lance Armstrong, one of the most successful cancer survivors, can't do it without having to MASSIVELY DOPE at some point before the race, then why should any other survivor, am I right?" That's nonsense.

If they had revealed Samus was transgender, and they didn't, it would only have said that fact. She wouldn't and never did say anything about the capabilities of real women, because she is purely fictional. She wouldn't and never did say anything about the capabilities of fictional women in other universes, because they are purely fictional. Life will go on almost exactly as it did before it turned out Samus has a Y chromosome.

User avatar
I REALLY HATE POKEMON!
Posts: 28106
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 1:00 am
Location: California, U.S.A
Been thanked: 2 times

#56

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:27 pm

[QUOTE="I am nobody, post: 1599227, member: 34539"]While I don't doubt there are some people that would argue it didn't count if she was transgender, that's one of the most egregious slippery slope arguments I've ever seen. How on earth do you go from revealing one female protagonist is a trans woman to saying literally every other must be the same?[/quote]

I don't think he literally means every other will be the same, just that there could be a rash of arbitrary alterations to established characters.

[quote="I am nobody]Granting for sake of debate your argument than being born male is some kind of unfair +10 to heroism"]

I also don't think that he is equating being male with being a hero, but with physical capabilities (at least mostly).

[quote="I am nobody]If they had revealed Samus was transgender"]

I agree, as a purely fictional character it would say nothing beyond "Samus is trans." Not everyone would interpret it that way, but you're correct about that.

User avatar
I am nobody
Moderator
Posts: 12708
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:26 pm
Location: -89.97814998,-42.2333493
Been thanked: 20 times

#57

Post by I am nobody » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:30 pm

The argument is nonsense even if we're just talking about physical capabilities considering she had the Chozo training or whatever and largely shoots stuff while wearing power armor. Just about any other character's strength would be more relevant.

User avatar
I REALLY HATE POKEMON!
Posts: 28106
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2000 1:00 am
Location: California, U.S.A
Been thanked: 2 times

#58

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:31 pm

I agree, I basically said as much myself. I was just trying to clarify where I think he was probably coming from.

User avatar
X-3
Moderator
Posts: 23371
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:00 am
Location: noiɈɒɔo⅃
Been thanked: 12 times

#59

Post by X-3 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:37 pm

Why was this thread resurrected?

User avatar
I am nobody
Moderator
Posts: 12708
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:26 pm
Location: -89.97814998,-42.2333493
Been thanked: 20 times

#60

Post by I am nobody » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:41 pm

It was still pretty high up on the first page, so ID probably didn't notice it was a year old.

Locked

Return to “Metroid: Self-Destruct Sequence Activated”