Metroid: Samus Returns (and Metroid Prime 4)

Moderator: е и ժ е я

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Re: Metroid: Samus Returns (and Metroid Prime 4)

Post by Marilink » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:23 pm

^Yeah, this is very much not Nintendo's usual M.O. when it comes to development. Kinda surprising.

I'm happy this is in Retro's corner again. Even if most of the people at Retro are new and didn't work on the original trilogy, it's still an exceedingly competent studio.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:58 pm

I'm cautiously optimistic. On one hand, it's a good thing they're willing to restart development if a game isn't meeting expectations and Retro Studios is a good developer. But... hm. A lot of people left the company that were responsible for the Metroid Prime series, however I don't think I've heard of any of them being as successful after leaving Retro? I guess we'll see when some game footage gets shown.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:14 pm

^ I mean, they've done Donkey Kong Country Returns and its sequel since the Prime series ended. So Retro's track record is still pretty fantastic.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:42 pm

Saw this news earlier. It's just going to be more time, it's really a relief to at least have an update about the game's status and to know that they're willing to take the necessary steps to make it a good one.

Retro is still a studio with very solid output, and I don't doubt that with Tanabe they will be making a huge effort. Even if they don't have experienced FPS staff on board anymore, they're in the right area to be hiring if necessary. Games development in the west is often an industry where staff change employers frequently. Here's hoping they pull through.

Oh, and when it's been such a long while since the original thread was put up, and such big news, it's okay to go ahead and make a new thread. I was headed here to post about this today, myself. :)
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:50 am

Valigarmander wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:22 am
This'll certainly delay the release, and while that does suck, I can't say a delay wasn't expected. And knowing Retro Studios will be working on the game moving forward gives me confidence that the final product will be worth the wait.
That's pretty much exactly what I think, although I'm curious about what they had and why it was ceased. Maybe it wasn't bad but just too different? I hope a leak occurs.

Random User

Post by Random User » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:51 am

I'm sure it'll at least make for a very interesting page on the cutting room floor wiki. I'm also immensely curious about what they had prior to starting over.

Return to “Metroid: Self-Destruct Sequence Activated”