Journey (PS3/4) - Adventure/Art

The place where you can discuss everything from the world of PlayStation

Moderator: I am nobody

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Journey (PS3/4) - Adventure/Art

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:06 pm

It's just been released digitally for the PS4.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/journey-ps3/

AU zone free trial:
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-au/ ... EYXX0000A1

In Journey, the player controls a robed figure in a vast desert, traveling towards a mountain in the distance. Other players on the same journey can be discovered, and two players can meet and assist each other, but they cannot communicate via speech or text and cannot see each other's names. The only form of communication between the two is a musical chime. This chime also transforms dull, stiff pieces of cloth found throughout the levels into vibrant red, affecting the game world and allowing the player to progress through the levels. The robed figure wears a trailing scarf, which when charged by approaching floating pieces of cloth, briefly allows the player to float through the air.

The developers sought to evoke in the player a sense of smallness and wonder, and to forge an emotional connection between them and the anonymous players they meet along the way. The music, composed by Austin Wintory, dynamically responds to the player's actions, building a single theme to represent the game's emotional arc throughout the story. Reviewers of the game praised the visual and auditory art as well as the sense of companionship created by playing with a stranger, calling it a moving and emotional experience. Journey won several "game of the year" awards and received several other awards and nominations, including a Best Score Soundtrack for Visual Media nomination for the 2013 Grammy Awards. A retail "Collector's Edition", including Journey, Thatgamecompany's two previous titles, and additional media, was released on August 28, 2012.

The game was released digitally for the PlayStation 4 on July 21, 2015.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_% ... eo_game%29

Have you played this game? Would you recommend it?

If you haven't played, are you interested? :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:55 pm

I played on PS3. It was one of my favorite single player games for the system. I'd play again if it hit Vita.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:18 pm

I just played it for the first time on PS4. It was was one of the few reasons I regret never getting a PS3.

I absolutely love the art style, for one. Vibrant colors mixed with atmospheric perspective is one of my favorite artistic effects and Journey does it perfectly. That's almost why I was a little turned off by running into a random player in the game, as I'm more of a "stop and smell the roses" type of gamer who just wants to sit and look off in the distance for a bit while the other guy is running around singing at me to hurry up and follow him.

But overall it's a great, surprisingly emotional experience. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

ZeldaGirl

Post by ZeldaGirl » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:52 pm

This is probably my favorite game. I just find it so moving, and relaxing.

Jeynavia

Post by Jeynavia » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:25 am

I played this game. It was a really good experience. I use this game to demonstrate Video Games can be art. The landscape are marvelous, the soundtrack is really good and synchronize quite well with all the elements of the game.
And I really appreciate the players I met in the game. You can "speak" with music sound, it was a very interesting social experience !

Return to “Sony Playstation: This is Living!”