Persona (any and all iterations of it)

The place where you can discuss everything from the world of PlayStation

Moderator: I am nobody

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:35 pm

Since I'm not going to have a platform that plays Persona 5 any time soon, I've elected to backtrack and start Persona 2: Innocent Sin instead.

I love Eikichi Mishina.
I believe in second chances, and that's why I believe in you.

Softguitar

Post by Softguitar » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:31 am

Here's the extended version of the first P5 trailer with the new singer Lyn:
[MEDIA=dailymotion]x379piz[/MEDIA]
"You tried, step aside, you're denied." - Marie

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:28 pm

So I blasted through DaN over the last two days, and I'm really glad I didn't buy it. As a rhythm game, it's below average. The songs selection is too narrow and repetitive, the animations and button presses are often only barely synched to the music, the backgrounds are all static and repeated for 2-3 songs, the decision to have input going to either side of the screen forces complexity to come from obnoxious and confusing overlap (since we are not chameleons and can't look left and right at once), and you earn far too little currency for plays relative to the price of items. Theme aside, I can't say there's anything it does better than even the first Vita Miku game, which SEGA/Atlus seems bizarrely happy for it to be compared with.

Unfortunately, the theme doesn't help. Where Arena and Labyrinth had at least passable stories, DaN's seems to have been pumped out in 10 minutes by someone who'd only heard about the original story in passing. I only made it through the first chapter before giving up and leaving the game permanently on skip, but even then, the story is absolutely eternal and somehow massively predictable. Yes, in spite of the fact I wasn't even reading it. Every line in the story is voice acted, but they only paid for a handful of chatter lines to play during gameplay and menus. You're going to hear the same lines repeated multiple times in a single song, and Tanaka's shop suffers from this so badly that I was already sick of him before finishing my pre-game browsing of collectibles. There is a voice slider, but it's all or nothing - you can't choose to just shut Tanaka up or to mute only the chatter voices during rhythm play.

Voicing the entire game was probably also a mistake in that it's very noticeable and distracting that Adachi and Yu are both Johnny Bosch. Rise is now voiced by Ashley Burch - who I would normally say is a better choice - but they appear to have been unable to decide if she should pretend to be Laura Bailey or use her normal voice, so Rise swaps between the two for the entire game. It's as distracting as the Adachi/Yu thing.

tldr: This has a long way to go if it wants to join Theatrhythm on the list of successful spinoff music titles. It's got an even longer way to go if it wants to be worthwhile as a VN. That makes me sad.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:47 pm

SOOOOOO glad they franchised and ruined P4 and not P3.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:11 pm

Doubt this is relevant for anyone in the thread, but P3 spoilers below:
[spoiler]
^They kinda tried by putting all the living characters except Ken and Koromaru in Arena and by putting the entire cast in Labyrinth, though.

Killing both protagonists is thankfully kind of a damper on silly post-game spinoffs.
[/spoiler]

Also, I forgot to mention in my DaN rant that it extra-fails as a VN because none of the choices do any more than change the immediately following dialogue. I got a trophy for seeing everything without ever repeating a choice, and although I almost definitely picked some "incorrect" choices on account of not reading anything, there didn't seem to be any consequences.

Tyler-Ray Randolph

Post by Tyler-Ray Randolph » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:45 pm

[QUOTE="Shaggy, post: 1479828, member: 38553"]I couldn't find a thread that was just general discussion about persona 4 and golden and arena and the anime and the things to come relating to it, so here is just a general discussion thread pertaining to all things persona 4.

So what are your thoughts on persona 4, individual things or as a whole?

I just got back into golden and have played probably 12 hours in the last 3 days(to be fair I did play it for 13 hours straight when I first bought it), I can definitely say that it is climbing up to be my favorite game, currently I would say it fits into 3rd place.

also when I first got arena, I played through 3 of the character stories in 1 sitting, I could probably categorize that as my favorite fighting game.

watched the anime up to yukiko's rescue bc that's where I was in the game at the time, quite a good adaptation of the game I would say.

already pre-ordered arena ultimax and saving up for Q limited edition[/QUOTE]
It was a very detailed game with great combat system,and interesting story line.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:34 am

THE PERSONA 3 MOVIE 3 IS OUT ON DVD ALREADY WHY ARENT THERE PIRATED COPIES ONLINE LEGAL WAYS OF VIEWING IT YET

Softguitar

Post by Softguitar » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:46 pm

You mean movies. I liked the third one more than the other ones.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:43 am

I haven't really played any persona games, though I've heard alot of great things (especially about 3 and 4.) Is there anywhere in particular you guys would suggest I start in the series.
Also it's not quite persona but I did download Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked the other day :o
-I'm Vgfian

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:46 am

I'd suggest Persona 3. It's a better entry point, I think. Persona 3 Portable plays the best, but FES supposedly adds more to the game, so that's your call. Persona 4 is fine, too, though. The spin-offs definitely go down better if you've played P3 and P4, so I wouldn't suggest them unless story isnt that important to you (Persona 4 Arena Ultimax is a good Fighting game in its own right, regardless of story).

Tl;DR: Persona 3 Portable.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:12 am

^Seconded. P4 references P3, so doing it first is strongly recommended. FES adds a second campaign that is, frankly, garbage. P3P adds P4's massively improved combat system (your companions are controlled by you, not the terrible AI) and a female PC. The latter is actually a pretty significant change to the game, and since it actually fleshes out your entire party instead of assuming you don't want to talk to the male ones, I personally think it's better. If you're going to do both, though, the male version is better done first since there are references to it.

Of course, P3P is only an option if you've got a PSP or Vita. If you don't, I still agree with P3->P4, but it's a much tougher suggestion because you're going to have to deal with those crap battles. It'll at least make you appreciate 4's improvements more, I guess.

Devil Survivor is brilliant. It's also one of the least forgiving strategy games ever (though still more forgiving than its even better sequel), so get ready to die a lot.

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:45 pm

^ So is Devil Survivor like Persona or more like SMT?

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:39 pm

It and Persona are the only SMT games I've spent time with, so I can't say. There are clear Persona/SMT themes and ideas, but it isn't much like anything else I've played beyond what's required of a SRPG. Loads of branching, especially in 2, very strong emphasis on planning, and a highly unique battle system with minimal RNG. It makes no attempt to be fair, so a lot of the major battles are more like puzzles in that they're almost hopeless the first time and you have to carefully work out strategies specific to that encounter. Both are great about ending each day (of 7) with something that will absolutely wreck you if you go in carelessly.

DS2's remake (and Overclocked?) added an easy mode, but that kinda defeats the point in my eyes. "Survivor" is in the title - the battles should be a struggle.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:55 pm

From a cursory glance I'd say it's more like SMT.

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:32 am

Didn't wanna make a whole new topic for this even though it deserves it, but there's a game called Caligula coming out and it is being made by people who were involved with the Persona series. Looks basically like a spiritual successor (even though Persona is still going, lol). Looks great, though, actually, and I want it.

Thoughts?

[MEDIA=youtube]WuWrz4mWuTU[/MEDIA]

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:18 am

The text at the beginning:
Caligula Effect
I (subject unclear) want to see things that should not be seen.
I want to do things that should not be done.
This is the psychological effect. (I assume this would more naturally be "this is the Caligula Effect")
I'd love to do the audio as well, but that guy talks fast and I'm awful at speech translation to begin with. Might give it a go later when I have time to pause the video every two seconds.

Regardless, yeah, looks like it's Persona from the brief gameplay shown there. Mildly worried about it being named Caligula given what Caligula was known for, but maybe it's not going there.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:19 am

Two things.

1. For those not in the know, the Caligula Effect means "To want something that you cannot have" like an object that's way too expensive for you to buy, or wanting to go into a building that has a "No Trespassing" sign on it. Stuff like that.

2. I can't find where I saw it, but I swear I heard somewhere that a line in the trailer implies killing an idol? Persona 1 and 2 were really dark, so it seems this is going to be a similar song and dance.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:18 pm

There are idioms I'm not positive about and some bits where I can't even make out what's being said, but here's a guess that'll probably be proved wrong later. It also confirms part of what Tazy said:
The main voice wrote: Because there must be more killing, we feel nothing.
Even if the opponent (lit "other party") continues to sing for our happiness (can't quite understand the end here - I think it's something about mourning/regret and "only")
(female voice)
I want to help you guys!
You (again, no subject) told me... (I was told?)
And yet... what?
The whispery voice is pretty hopeless since it keeps getting talked over, but I believe the chanting part says a word I've just learned means "washing a corpse for burial", which would fit with the narrators' words.

So while I wouldn't bet any money on the above being particularly accurate, it's pretty in line with being dark and people who sing having a bad time.

Softguitar

Post by Softguitar » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:55 pm

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:02 am

I keep meaning to play through Persona 2: Innocent Sin. I've played the very beginning and I am VERY interested, just have been putting actually playing through it off..... for no reason.

I should get on that ****.

Return to “Sony Playstation: This is Living!”