If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Persona (any and all iterations of it)

The place where you can discuss everything from the world of PlayStation

Moderator: Nomyt

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:46 pm

I'm so excited for this bc it looks like it's taking a lot of notes from P3's book but I don't have a PS4 :(
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:46 pm

You probably already know but it is for PS3 as well.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:56 pm

Don't have one of those either. :p

Daos

Post by Daos » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:30 am

I preordered the game and was told I would get the game on release date (back when the release date was 2/14). Then yesterday my sister got the game and I was told mine would not arrive until Thurs. Thanks, Atlus.

Daos

Post by Daos » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:45 am

Finally got the chance to put a few hours in yesterday. I have avoided all spoilers for the game so I am going into this with no ideal what will happen or much about the game.

[SPOILER]I was surprised to see the "negotiation system" return from the first few games as the way to get new Personas.[/SPOILER]

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:46 pm

Meh. I wasn't a fan of that mechanic. Or those games in general. I hope it doesn't draw too heavily from them.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:18 pm

As far as I can tell after 9 hours and the first palace, it doesn't. There's much more influence from 3 and 4.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:56 pm

EDIT: Nevermind.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:12 pm

I WAS SO STOKED TO SEE THAT!!! Persona 2 appreciation station

X-3

Post by X-3 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:21 pm

Give me a Life Stone.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:23 pm

I'm in mid-June with about 20 hours played. It's obviously much too soon to be comparing it to P3 or 4, but I'm loving it so far.
[spoiler="Nothing story related"]
Good:
- I wasn't sure about pre-built dungeons initially, but they've done a great job keeping the environments interesting and tying progression to the story. Although forcing dungeons to be done over multiple days will have some interesting implications for max social link runs, it's well-justified narratively.

- Negotiating to get Personas is consistently entertaining. I've barely seen any repeats, and some of the exchanges are quite funny.

- There's a lot more variety in how you get social links - you aren't just randomly bumping into people at school or at work. I appreciate not knowing who all the links are in advance just by looking at which students have portraits.

- Morgana seemed worrying like Teddie version 0.2 at first, and while there are still some obvious similarities, they've done a good job of establishing him as his own thing. I also have a major soft spot for the absurdity of how he's portrayed in most real world situation. Especially in the classroom.

- Atlus remain the undisputed kings of stylish menus.

- There's a lot more to do outside of the social links now, and a particularly impressive variety of ways to improve stats. The minigames are great, and the voice-acted parody movies and DVDs are incredible.

- The economy, particularly with regards to SP recovery, has been significantly rebalanced, presumably to account for the fact that you're no longer expected to one-shot dungeons. I like the increased financial pressure.

Bad:

- Who thought it was a good idea not to record what the Strength link wants from me anywhere in the game?

- The aforementioned variety of social links and activities is almost non-existent until you finish the first story segment. It gives you some time to boost stats without worrying about missing links, but it's slow and not justified by the narrative.

- After looking up pronunciation videos, I learned that they actually do know how to say "Takamaki." Now I have a crushing fear that I don't actually know how to pronounce anything in this language. (on the other hand, there are other words that they absolutely are wrong about. It's all very confusing and unhelpful.)
[/spoiler]

tl;dr: So much for playing anything else this month.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:21 pm

A couple of other things I should've mentioned:

[spoiler]
- They're also handling link progression more believably this time around - as far as I can tell the days of rushing Yosuke or Rio's links to be done at 10 by early May are gone. I have multiple links that are currently on hold while the characters figure things out. You also have the option to invite characters to hang-out points on "you don't feel your relationship will become closer yet" dates, which avoids the repeated scenes from 3/4 and is also used as an excuse to gather collectibles.

- Ditto for party motivations. SEES was formed through a mix of random luck and coercion, and P4 was basically the Monthly Midnight Channel Support Group, but all of the P5 characters have so far both made a conscious decision to support you in the first place and then justified continuing to do so once they are no longer personally benefiting.

- Instead of pulling the same "YOU THOUGHT THE GAME WAS OVER IN JULY BUT IT ISN'T" trick for the third time in a row, they're using a framed narrative that establishes something important happens around the halfway mark. Said framing succeeds in establishing enough to make you wonder how the story gets there without revealing too much in advance.

- I've admittedly only seen two, but the bosses seem more unique this time around, particularly in terms of mechanics.

- Atlus is still really bad at subtle foreshadowing. Every attempt at it continues to be a dead giveaway of the future twist provided you're paying any attention at all.
[/spoiler]

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:39 pm

My impression of the game so far, not having played it:

[spoiler]YOU'LL NEVER SEE IT COMIIIIIIIIIIIIIN'[/spoiler]
Carthago delendum est

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:03 pm

^
[MEDIA=youtube]WUWQFnC2zqU[/MEDIA]

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:15 pm

edit: wait, I already posted this.

Auron

Post by Auron » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:29 pm

[QUOTE="I am nobody, post: 1627307, member: 34539"]A couple of other things I should've mentioned:

[spoiler]- I've admittedly only seen two, but the bosses seem more unique this time around, particularly in terms of mechanics.

- Atlus is still really bad at subtle foreshadowing. Every attempt at it continues to be a dead giveaway of the future twist provided you're paying any attention at all.
[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

[spoiler]- That second boss beat me down so many times I had to concede defeat and bump it down a difficulty level. Feels bad man.

- And this does't get any better the later you go. This flash forward thing (present time?) just seems like a bad idea to me. I feel like it gives away too many hints. I'm at about around a few weeks after summer break ends, and I feel like I know exactly how the "traitor" is (that is referenced in the game's opening). The whole super-friendly-person-who-betrays-you-because-they-are-secretly-bad trope card has been played one too many times in this series. Maybe they'll surprise me, but I have someone in mind who fits that perfectly.[/spoiler]

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 pm

^I thought I had played a lot of this, and it sounds like you're 8+ weeks ahead. That's dedication. O_O

[spoiler="Actual spoilers this time. Up to a little after the second dungeon"]
I bumped down to normal in the first dungeon because I had my whole party one-shot at full health by one of those Archangel boss shadows using Rampage or something. It cost me 30 minutes of progress (including having to fight the mid-boss again) and I didn't feel like either grinding enough to make sure that wouldn't happen again or risking the chance that it would. Madarame wasn't particularly challenging on normal, but I also had a Shiisa with Agi/Bufu/Zio as well as Media and Double Fang/Rampage. At least on that difficulty, he really doesn't have an answer to Ryuji and PC spamming Rampage until the eyes/nose die and then spamming spells on the mouth while it's alone. Madarame himself went down in three rounds (nearly two) from Double Fang and spells.

I'm disappointed to hear that the traitor thing is also completely given away, but not very surprised. Pretty much knew what I was in for when their attempt at foreshadowing that Akechi can already access the Metaverse (presumably - I'm not that far yet) was having him overhear something Morgana said. It could've worked, but they would've had to use a more mundane line than one about cakes and buried it in more unrelated dialogue.
[/spoiler]

Auron

Post by Auron » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:20 pm

[QUOTE="I am nobody, post: 1627394, member: 34539"]^I thought I had played a lot of this, and it sounds like you're 8+ weeks ahead. That's dedication. O_O

[spoiler="Actual spoilers this time. Up to a little after the second dungeon"]I'm disappointed to hear that the traitor thing is also completely given away, but not very surprised. Pretty much knew what I was in for when their attempt at foreshadowing that Akechi can already access the Metaverse (presumably - I'm not that far yet) was having him overhear something Morgana said. It could've worked, but they would've had to use a more mundane line than one about cakes and buried it in more unrelated dialogue.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
[spoiler]Between Ikutsuki and Adachi they've played this card two times in a row, so it is getting kind of old. Minor spoiler: nothing has happened yet, but they make no attempt to really give any other plausible outcomes. And thats really my only gripe so far with the game. As much as the characters are good (not sure if they are better than P4's cast yet, but I like them better than P3), the overall plot feels like its going to be predictable and formulaic by Persona standards. But I'll withhold final criticism on that point until the end. Maybe they'll throw a curveball out there.[/spoiler][DOUBLEPOST=1491956422,1491956259][/DOUBLEPOST]And on side note, every time I hear Igor's new voice actor, a little bit of me dies inside.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:47 pm

[spoiler]
So far I'd say the characters are my favorite of the three, but that's meaningless when I'm only up to 6/21. There's still plenty of time for the rest of the party to be Fuuka or even Aigis-level. The links are a similar situation - they've all been great up to this point, but I haven't finished any of them, and the ones I haven't found could all turn out to be written by whoever usually does the Temperance link.
[/spoiler]

Speaking of odd casting choices, having Yukari's voice actress do random background characters is distracting. I've decided to imagine it's a deliberate cameo and that her life after P3 consists of wondering in circles around Tokyo and making the same handful of inane comments over and over again.

Auron

Post by Auron » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:23 pm

[spoiler]I don't feel that Ryuji quite makes it to the same level as Yosuke so far. His general loudness and lack of any subtley (how does everyone in the school not know its them with how loud he talks about being thieves?) actually kind of annoys me. And Yusuke (that not confusing at all using both names in the same paragraph...) is not quite as awkwardly funny as Kanji was. Morgana is infinitely better than Teddy though, even if I feel like that name is wildly confusing in terms of what gender he is. More thoughts on the rest of the cast later if I feel like it.[/spoiler]

Return to “Sony Playstation: This is Living!”