Persona (any and all iterations of it)

The place where you can discuss everything from the world of PlayStation

Moderator: I am nobody

Thanous

Persona (any and all iterations of it)

Post by Thanous » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:50 pm

I couldn't find a thread that was just general discussion about persona 4 and golden and arena and the anime and the things to come relating to it, so here is just a general discussion thread pertaining to all things persona 4.

So what are your thoughts on persona 4, individual things or as a whole?

I just got back into golden and have played probably 12 hours in the last 3 days(to be fair I did play it for 13 hours straight when I first bought it), I can definitely say that it is climbing up to be my favorite game, currently I would say it fits into 3rd place.

also when I first got arena, I played through 3 of the character stories in 1 sitting, I could probably categorize that as my favorite fighting game.

watched the anime up to yukiko's rescue bc that's where I was in the game at the time, quite a good adaptation of the game I would say.

already pre-ordered arena ultimax and saving up for Q limited edition

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:17 pm

I've put something ridiculous like 200 hours into it between Golden and the original release. Suffice to say I enjoyed it.

(slightly less enjoyable is that I've missed perfect social links by one level in both P3P and the original P4 as well as missing perfect by two levels in Golden due entirely to a glitch in the Jester link. I'm pretty sure it's just taunting me now.)

Thanous

Post by Thanous » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:57 pm

I just realized I put this in sony, would a mod please move this to general gaming? (since the games are on more than just playstation :kirbyface: )

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:20 pm

P4G was good. Arena is meh, anime meh.

Softguitar

Post by Softguitar » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:38 pm

Thanous, you and I are gonna be best buds. SOCIAL LINK GO!

I got into Persona this year when a friend told me about it. I played a bit of Arena and watched the anime. I like the Japanese and English voices.

I'm excited for Persona Q too. Just a little surprised that the release date was announced before SMT IV's (in Europe).[DOUBLEPOST=1406738333,1406738225][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh yeah, the golden anime doesn't cover the whole gameplay (again) and is all about Marie.
"You tried, step aside, you're denied." - Marie

Thanous

Post by Thanous » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:59 pm

I just beat golden for the first time (never played the original either)

I feel so empty sad and angry at the same time

question for other people that beat it:
[spoiler] hope i do the spoiler thing right. Is there any way to avoid nanako dying? [/spoiler][DOUBLEPOST=1407358771,1407358285][/DOUBLEPOST][spoiler] I think I may have gotten a bad ending bc now looking at the ign wiki for p4g it is mentioning a ski trip and also there are test answers for later months that it just skipped through for me.[/spoiler]

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:30 pm

You didn't beat it. That dialogue tree is a huge pain, and given the length of the unskippable parts, I'd suggest just following a guide if you didn't get it right the first time. A few of the required answers are a bit obnoxiously arbitrary.

Spoiler, but only about general length
[spoiler]There's a ton of content left in P4G from that point. You've easily got another 15-20 hours still in it. More if you go for the true ending, but I don't suggest that on a first playthrough.[/spoiler]

Thanous

Post by Thanous » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:38 pm

[QUOTE="I am nobody, post: 1481643, member: 34539"]You didn't beat it. That dialogue tree is a huge pain, and given the length of the unskippable parts, I'd suggest just following a guide if you didn't get it right the first time. A few of the required answers are a bit obnoxiously arbitrary.

Spoiler, but only about general length
[spoiler]There's a ton of content left in P4G from that point. You've easily got another 15-20 hours still in it. More if you go for the true ending, but I don't suggest that on a first playthrough.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
thanks, and yeah I figured that mostly out right after the credits finished, well I'm glad it's not over :kirbyface:

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:58 pm

Bonus sort-of-spoiler about the bad ending(s):
[spoiler]
There's actually another bad ending where Nanako lives, but is never released from the hospital. It's mostly the same as the ending you got, but Dojima is actually there and has a few lines. Someone probably uploaded it to Youtube if you're interested. I don't think there's a way to trigger it without having to mash through 20 minutes of cutscenes when you reload, unfortunately.

EDIT: Just remembered Golden added at least one bonus fail ending for intentionally ruining the investigation. You'd never get this one accidentally.
[/spoiler]

Also, to clarify what I said in the second spoiler:
[spoiler]
You can't get the normal ending once you've started the true ending content, so make sure you've at least seen normal before going for true. It's by far the hardest part of the game, and some decisions you made earlier on regarding social links and exceptionally powerful/rare items could make taking out the final boss more aggravating than anything else. There's nothing that makes it actually impossible to beat it your first time; I just think it's easier and more enjoyable to do a second run with that as your single focus.[/spoiler]

Softguitar

Post by Softguitar » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:06 am

The good thing about is that you can now start a new game with all your skills from the previous playthrough.

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:37 am

Oh yeah that semi-bad ending is quite the deal SUPER BAD SPOILERS I MEAN REAL BAD DON'T LOOK MAN

[spoiler]You even visit Adachi and you can end up burning the evidence against him, at which point he'll flip out noting you're now his accomplice.[/spoiler]

don't go for that ending only bad people aim for it[DOUBLEPOST=1407389872,1407389835][/DOUBLEPOST]er, yeah, that is pretty big spoilers since it reveals more about the game, don't look at it yet

Softguitar

Post by Softguitar » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:45 am

[spoiler]When I first saw that scene on YouTube, I was completely shocked that you could burn the evidence.[/spoiler]
^ What Loot said. Don't look at mine either.

Guys, who did you choose as your waifu? :3

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:35 am

I should look up all those endings. I only got the best one. I'm really interested in seeing the one Loot mentioned that only bad people aim for.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:42 am

^[spoiler]That's the one I mentioned being added to Golden. You have to meet him by yourself in the TV, intentionally fail to name him as the killer, and then meet him a second time and destroy the evidence. You also have to have his social link at 8, which is the maximum before this sequence starts. [/spoiler]

^^Rise twice, Yumi twice (didn't even get close to finishing the first one), Chie once (didn't finish), and I vaguely remember seeing the beginning of Yukiko and Naoto, but I think both of those were just short branches from a save of a different playthrough. I've played this game too many times.

[spoiler]Nobody gives you an item that's even remotely useful for Christmas. :( [/spoiler]

Softguitar

Post by Softguitar » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:07 pm

^ [spoiler]But you get sweet lovin' on Christmas Eve.[/spoiler]

I've never played Golden but I'm fine with only watching the anime. Marieeeee.

Marilincarnation
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilincarnation » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:31 pm

Wow, I managed to post in this thread before [USER=30977]@CuccoLady[/USER] got to it?
Carthago delendum est

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:48 pm

3's better \o/
I believe in second chances, and that's why I believe in you.

Thanous

Post by Thanous » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:57 pm

[QUOTE="CuccoLady, post: 1481851, member: 30977"]3's better \o/[/QUOTE]
I own p3f and p3p, after I beat p4g I wanna start one of them, which one is better?

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:00 pm

^Portable has all the content of FES except for the animated cutscenes, which it replaces with stills drawn in the same style. It also replaces the original, terrible, battle AI with the system from P4. P3P is definitely the way to go.

EDIT: You do lose The Answer, but since that doesn't interact with your main game save at all, there's no disadvantage to playing only that on FES. If you do it at all, that is. I thought it was terrible.

It's worth doing a playthrough for both the male and female protagonist, btw. There aren't any dramatic changes to the main story, but nearly all of the social links are fully or partially rewritten/replaced and there's a few bits of side content that are different as well.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:46 pm

The Answer is dumb so don't worry about it anyway.

If you HADN'T played P4 I would recommend FES because some of the animated cutscenes (like Protag's first Persona invocation) are just sooooo badass and the stills/drawings just aren't the same, but because going back to uncontrollable teammates after P4 gameplaywise is really terrible, I would say go with Portable. FES's battle system is painful after 4's. I can deal with it because I've learned how to manipulate their **** AIs, but...

Well, actually. Try out FES and see whether or not you want to die because of your stupid party AI. If you end up not being able to stand it, THEN do Portable, because at that point you'll have seen the cool cutscene in full animated glory before switching anyway.

Regardless, do the boy path first. Then do the girl path. Absolutely do both.

date everyone.
I believe in second chances, and that's why I believe in you.

Return to “Sony Playstation: This is Living!”