Sony State of Play on the 25th.

The place where you can discuss everything from the world of PlayStation

Moderator: I am nobody

VG_Addict

Sony State of Play on the 25th.

Post by VG_Addict » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:41 pm

Sony is making their own video presentation called the State of Play, which will debut this Monday.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/22/18277 ... e-ps4-psvr

What do you hope to see?

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Re: Sony State of Play on the 25th.

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:16 am

A new handheld, but it's unlikely, especially if it doesn't function as hybrid or phone. Game-wise, turn-based AAA JRPGs like Legend of Dragoon--probably even less likely.

Anything but generic action games and shooters, please.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:42 am

They said they're skipping E3 this year, IIRC, so it'd make sense if they're taking a page from Nintendo and using these as mini-press conferences scattered throughout the year. I'd imagine you'd want to start with something big, so my money is on mostly minor news with a reveal of some new exclusive at the end. Maybe a release date for TLOU 2.

Horizon 2 would make sense as well, but I feel like that's PS5 at this point.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:19 pm

Nothing specific I'm hoping to see, but I like the mini-conference model. I'm more likely to catch up on smaller bits of news than a big chunk, personally.
mess with the NOOT you get a DOOT!

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:54 am

yeah i'd very much like to know when i can buy last of us 2. i feel like sony's announcing ps5 this year but i'm not sure now's the time. i'd also like them to just f***ing commit to cross-platform at this point. no beating around the bush with the "trial run" or whatever BS they said fortnite and rocket league were. we know you have the capabilities of doing cross-platform with everyone else. If Nintendo who is CONSISTENTLY BEHIND ON THIS KIND OF STUFF is doing it, we KNOW you can do it. It's what everyone wants. Do it.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:55 am

^ Sony is sort of messing up lately. Between slow adoption of cross-platform functionality, intense censorship and some ageda pushing, I think that next gen might be tough for them, especially if Nintendo & Microsoft team up more.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:21 am

Cross-play might hurt them, but assuming the "agenda pushing" you're referring to is the TLOU2 E3 trailer, I think we're well past the point where that's going to have any negative impact. Overwatch certainly hasn't suffered for its "agenda", and Life is Strange certainly did plenty well for itself, to say nothing of Dragon Age: Inquisition and dozens of indie games. Besides, anyone upset over that is going to be boycotting a lot more than Sony. Per the above, Activision Blizzard, Square Enix, and EA have all come out pretty clearly, Microsoft is Microsoft, and Ubisoft, Bethesda, and Paradox (and EA again) were all nominated for an award by GLAAD last, so I sure hope they're all big Nintendo fans.

No idea what you're referring to with "intense censorship", but that probably says it all. Most consumers don't read industry news, so it's doubtful that the mass market is aware of whatever it is if I'm not.

^^MS kind of seems to be trying to make their console business secondary and move towards more of a publisher model. They've definitely got the studios to do it now, and I think there are loads of people on PC and Switch who'll go for some of their traditional exclusives, so it'll be really interesting to see how that pans out. I don't know what the stats are for households that only own one console, but it's definitely not good news for Sony with that crowd if Nintendo doubles as an Xbox.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:37 am

I wasn't referring only to TLoU2, it just reminded me of it. And although you cite several successful games that pushed agendas there were a couple which arguably underperformed due in part to it, and hopefully that's something we see more of.

As for censorship, if you're not aware of it then you must not read much about games. I do moderately and have seen much about it, including developer complaints. Admittedly it's mostly niche fan service games which are affected but some AAA titles also have been (such as DMC5). The mass market may not yet be aware but it doesn't mean it won't eventually have an effect, especially if more developers make noise.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:28 am

The ones I mentioned all performed well, and LiS clearly benefited directly from its characters, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.

I had a feeling you were referring to anime fanservice with the censorship complaint, but you don't need me to tell you that "they covered up schoolgirl underwear!" is not going to be a rallying cry in the West. They're censoring it because they know perfectly well how it would go over if they were associated with promoting the sexualization of characters who look like (or, in many cases, actually are) minors.

As for DMC5, I read plenty of industry news and hadn't heard about it. I checked the Steam board and found one thread about it in the first five pages, and every response on the first page was asking why OP even cared. There was nothing about it on the first three pages of the GameFAQs board, and its sales are a massive success by all reports. I don't see any evidence that a significant number of people care, let alone care enough to impact sales.

Return to “Sony Playstation: This is Living!”