Sony announces PlayStation Classic

The place where you can discuss everything from the world of PlayStation

Moderator: I am nobody

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Re: Sony announces PlayStation Classic

Post by Calamity Panfan » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:41 pm

honestly it seems like they just didn't care. they saw how successful the nes/snes ones were so they got whatever games they could, put the minimal effort in and released it before christmas

Marilincarnation
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilincarnation » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:03 am

And they'll probably still make bank on it, seizing the opportunity that Nintendo opened up for them with the NES/SNES Classics.

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:11 am

Maybe near the end of PS5 or during PS6's run they'll redeem themselves with a PS2 Classic. By then it'll undebatably qualify as retro (most people already consider Dreamcast retro by now, PS2 is only a few years older and I think ~20 years is what it takes to be retro).

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:04 pm

^PS2 came out in 2000---------Dreamcast hit in '99.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:49 pm

I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:11 am
Maybe near the end of PS5 or during PS6's run they'll redeem themselves with a PS2 Classic. By then it'll undebatably qualify as retro (most people already consider Dreamcast retro by now, PS2 is only a few years older and I think ~20 years is what it takes to be retro).
It's weird thinking about retro games. I feel like graphical advancements are making things seem later and later to be retro. Like The PS2 was only two generations separated from the SNES/Genesis era, but those games were clearly already "retro," but I don''t think we'd consider PS2/GC/Xbox very retro at all at this point (I think Dreamcast is a different situation since Sega doesn't make consoles anymore and was defunct years before the others), and once the PS5 and Xbox Insert Number That Makes No Sense Here come out it'll probably take even longer for us to consider PS3/360/Wii/Wii U retro.

Plus, the NES, SNES/Genesis, and PSX/N64 have the benefit of being associated for eras people have a ton of nostalgia for. Who's nostalgic for the early 2000's?

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:29 pm

People who were kids in the early 2000s?

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:55 pm

It says in your profile that your 24, that means you grew up in the 2000s homie lol. You don't find anything from your childhood nostalgic?

Calamity Panfan

Post by Calamity Panfan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:01 pm

I mean I find certain individual things nostalgic, but I don't think people view the 2000's in the same way they do the 80's and 90's. It's not as romanticized of a period.

I've heard someone (I can't remember whom) say that there's a reason 80s-90s nostalgia is romanticized. It's seen as a simpler time. We had the news, but it was still pre-internet/just as people were starting to get the internet so there wasn't the constant information overload of everything happening all the time. Columbine didn't happen until late in the 90s. It was pre-9/11. Things seemed much more innocent (they weren't), so it's easier to romanticize it. That's more or less what I was getting at.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:13 pm

^Nickelodeon had more than 2 good shows on at a time. That's the biggest part of it.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:50 pm

You're probably just in slightly the wrong age group. People born in ~97 or later don't remember the 90's at all and barely remember 9/11 at best, so their nostalgia is just about inevitably for the early 2000's. I know plenty of people who fit that description, and it's not entirely inaccurate for me even though I'm a couple years older.

Marilincarnation
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilincarnation » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:05 pm

Another part of why 80's and 90's nostalgia have persisted where 2000's nostalgia is only to a lesser degree is that the internet has preserved 80's and 90's culture and hasn't really moved past them. The people who formed "internet culture" as we know it mostly were reverential toward the 80's and 90's, and that has just persisted. I mean, why else would Ready Player One exist?

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:40 pm

^'Ready Player One' could potentially exist for the same reason 'Big Bang Theory' exists---------you know, to pander blatantly.

...'Big Bang Theory' blows.

Kind of think retro needs to be judged on a case-by-case basis. Individual games, not consoles. Like, I'd consider 'Rayman Origins' and 'Rayman Legends' a lot more retro than 'Rayman 2', nevermind they came out like two hardware generations later. (Less retro than 'Rayman'. 'Rayman' is ridiculously hard, and has limited continues. I can't imagine beating 'Rayman Legends' without infinite lives.)
boo----------------the furious little monkey

MeowMan

Post by MeowMan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:38 am

I am nobody wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:50 pm
You're probably just in slightly the wrong age group. People born in ~97 or later don't remember the 90's at all and barely remember 9/11 at best, so their nostalgia is just about inevitably for the early 2000's.
as someone born in '97, I can attest to this

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:42 am

Calamity Panfan wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:49 pm
I REALLY HATE POKEMON! wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:11 am
It's weird thinking about retro games. I feel like graphical advancements are making things seem later and later to be retro. Like The PS2 was only two generations separated from the SNES/Genesis era, but those games were clearly already "retro," but I don''t think we'd consider PS2/GC/Xbox very retro at all at this point (I think Dreamcast is a different situation since Sega doesn't make consoles anymore and was defunct years before the others), and once the PS5 and Xbox Insert Number That Makes No Sense Here come out it'll probably take even longer for us to consider PS3/360/Wii/Wii U retro.

Plus, the NES, SNES/Genesis, and PSX/N64 have the benefit of being associated for eras people have a ton of nostalgia for. Who's nostalgic for the early 2000's?
I don't know, 20 years is a long time. Even apart from technical improvements, ideas were different back 20 years ago and they probably will be in another 20 years. The games people were interested in during the 70's were almost nothing like the mainstream games people were interested in during the 90's, and they're pretty different today, too (I think indie kinda try to fill that gap).

Even if it does take longer for PS3 era to become retro, I think Wii will be the first to feel that way. Not only because its graphics are comparable to what preceded it, but the wonky motion controls will seem like a quaint relic of the past once they're eventually perfected.

As for early 2000's nostalgia, I kinda do, but it's certainly not as strong as the 90's. Pretty close though, I had fun hiding from my crumbing life online and playing good video games and stuff. I became a teenager in the 2000's and I learned to appreciate different and more complex forms of entertainment around then.

Return to “Sony Playstation: This is Living!”