If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Pokemania memories.

Moderator: Scarecrow

VG_Addict

Pokemania memories.

Post by VG_Addict » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:05 pm

What do you remember of the Pokemon craze of the late 90s-early 00s?

X-3

Post by X-3 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:03 pm

All I remember is the other kids not letting me watch them play on their Game Boys.

Oh, and another kid rusing me by making up a Pokemon-esque series.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:36 am

i remember the years of my life where i would actually wake up early to watch pokemon. i didn't even have to wake up early because we taped every episode, but it was still worth it

i wish literally anything at this point in my life inspired me to wake up as much as watching pokemon in 98-99 did
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:55 pm

so
many
plushies

I remember that third grade was the one and only year that I've ever gotten up before 7 am on a regular basis (even now...I hate mornings). I would get up at 6:15, do this yoga thing they had on PBS at the time, then watch Pokemon at 6:30. I also remember a friend's brother playing Yellow on Game Boy and he offered it to me to play with for a bit, but I declined because I was worried about screwing up his party and/or progress (I was p.much always conscientious about that sort of thing as I've been playing computer games since before I could read).
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:26 pm

I got 'Pokemon Snap' before I played any of the regular games in the series, or even owned a Game Boy. I just thought it was a real cool idea for a game.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:24 am

My dad was working for a Japanese-owned company at the time, and at some point before the franchise hit Western shores he brought home a Japanese-language pamphlet featuring Pikachu and a handful of other Pokemon. He said it was huge in Japan and would eventually be coming to the U.S.

I didn't know what to make of it at the time, but a year or so later I had the video games and the trading cards and the figurines and the books and the clothes and the anime episodes on VHS.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:25 am

The first system I ever bought with my own money was the Pikachu edition Gameboy Color with the Pokemon Yellow pack-in. I missed Gen II at the time because I was busy playing Yellow version until the cows came home.

Carthago delendum est

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:59 am

My elementary school banned Pokemon because they believed it was devil worship.

No joke.

I went to a Catholic school, and I was there for an eternity - pre-school all the way to 8th grade.

When Pokemania hit, every student was in on it. We were free and at peace, trading cards and playing the games. Then the fire nation attacked.
My school was run by nuns, with this uber-conservative priest as pastor of the church. He and the principal discussed the Pokemania and sent out a school-wide letter to every parent condemning Pokemon. They said it promoted violence and death through subversive means, and that the little creatures were like demons of Satan. They also claimed that the card game promoted gambling. I only remember one specific example they tried to back up. Something about bellsprout using vine whip? It had to do with bellsprout that they used an example of for their claims of promoting violence. They linked a website that was basically something like followjesus.com to backup their claims. I remember even my mom was like, "This is a bit of a stretch."

I really wish I had the letter now. It has to be around somewhere - my mom never throws anything out so I'm sure it's stuffed in some folder underneath a pile of other folders.

I think Pokemania lasted only about a single school year before it was banned. Teachers would confiscate your Pokemon cards if they saw you trading.

Then I remember one of my friends, Willy, who is actually friends with Katie from Awkward Zombie in real life, got into other alternatives. He showed everybody the GBC game Robopon. I was like, "Willy, this is a cheap knockoff" and he was like "I know! Isn't it great?" He was always into weird knockoffs. He brought to school a packet of Durasell batteries. Duracell but with an s. He was overly excited about it. "LOOK. These are Duracell batteries but not really becuase it's DuraSELL. Get it? They want to SELL it."
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:01 pm

I vividly remember one Easter when I received a big ole starter deck of Pokémon cards, a GameBoy Color, and Pokémon Silver because me and my sister had been complaining that it wasn't fair that only our oldest sister (who had played Red/Blue on her GameBoy) got to play Pokémon.

I didn't understand the mechanics at all, couldn't figure out how to switch pockets in the bag so I couldn't access my poke balls, so I just had a mega over leveled OP Feraligatr that could one shot everything, until I reached a point where there was a gym type disadvantage and I got stuck and quit playing Pokémon until literally college.

Was super into trading cards though. Sucked at the card game but just really liked the cards. And the TV show of course.
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:21 pm

You know, despite collecting the entire first run of cards and loving them to death, I've never learned how to play the TCG. To this day, I still have no clue.
Carthago delendum est

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:24 pm

^Our old LGS had what's known as a cube. I never played around with it because how tf do you draft Pokemon it makes no sense, but it was there.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:29 pm

I still have a holo Charizard, which goes for a lot nowadays. I have to get it rated to see how much it's worth.

Cards that also have typos on them are worth more. I have a typo on one of my metapod cards.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:33 pm

I bought Pokemon cards once.

Once.

not a very good card game

magic was, is and continues to be far superior
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:50 pm

My proudest possession was a holographic Raichu. I loved Raichu when I was younger. **** pikachu, pikachu is just a lesser raichu
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:40 pm

...but cubone

Return to “Pokemon: Alola”