If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Pokemon Of The Week #162: Starmie!

Moderator: Scarecrow

What do you rate this Pokemon?

1* (Worst)
11%
1* (Worst)
56%
1* (Worst)
22%
1* (Worst)
11%
1* (Worst)
No votes

Total votes: 9

Scarecrow

Pokemon Of The Week #162: Starmie!

Post by Scarecrow » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:52 am

Starmie

G/S/C
ImageImage
R/S/E
ImageImage
D/P/P/HG/SS
ImageImage
B/W
ImageImage
ORAS
ImageImage

Types
Water / Psychic

Stats
HP: 60
Attack: 75
Defense: 85
Sp. Atk: 100
Sp. Def: 85
Speed: 115

=520

Abilities:
Natural Cure
Analytic
Illuminate (Useless)

Starmie is very versatile battler. But it's popularity dropped off when MegaMawile and Aegislash came prominent in the meta. Lucky for Starmie though, both have gone off into the Uber tier now. Starmie can now be the deserved threat that it really is!

It has access to support moves like Rapid Spin, Thunder Wave, Scald, Magic Coat, Reflect and Lightscreen to name a few. So it can play a support role while still having enough base power to put a dent in most things that are weak to it. It boasts a excellent 115 Speed allowing it to out speeds many threats, at max speed with a Timid nature it out speeds, Thundurus, Gengar and Serperior, as well as Speed tying with the likes of Raikou, Mega Houndoom, and opposing Starmie's. This is important because otherwise Starmie usefulness would drop severely.

Starmie has a great Typing, resisting Fire, Water, Ice, Fighting, Psychic and Steel. Unfortunately for Starmie it defensive stats don't sync up with its great Typing. Only just above average Def/Sp.Def stats it can't take many hits from powerful Mons like MegaVenesaur and Thunderus. It can run Recover on a defensive set to last longer in battle but the defensive set is overshadowed by the offensive one.

Set #1 - Life Orb/Offense

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Nature: Timid
EV's: 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Sp.Def

- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spim
- Psychic
- Ice Beam / Thunderbolt / HP Fire

This set focuses and getting rid of entry hazards like Stealth Rocks and Spikes while providing strong physical presence in the battle. You may be thinking, why run Analytic when you have max Speed? Well, all of your attacks get bossted by 30% if you move last. But that isn't going to happen often, but what is is the opponent switching in-and-out a lot. The boost still applies if the opposing Pokemon switches out. So that OP 30% boosted attack is gonna land on the next Pokemon that comes in. BAM! now a 2HKO turned into a 1HKO.

Hydro Pump is your main attack, and should be spammed on Mons for max damage. Psychic is your second STAB but a slightly weaker option. It gives you way more coverage and can take out Pokemon like Keldeo and Conkeldurr.

Ice Beam can hit Draonite and other Dragons SE. Thunderbolt hits opposing Starmie's and other water Types. HP fire is to take out your counter Ferrothorn.

I will post the second set when I get back. Serebii.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:59 am

Starmie can put in some serious work. Smacking switch-ins with Analytic is nice as is Rapid Spin.

Alakazam and Weavile generally poop on Starmie, though they don't want to switch in. Same with Bisharp aka Mr. Socker Bopper.

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:44 pm

Dark types especially, mostly because of STAB boosted Pursuit trapping.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:58 pm

Starmie used to be a real beast, dunno about these days. I like it.

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:35 pm

It was usually the Pokemon known for having Recover if I remember right. It wasn't a pain, but it was always something you needed to respect since it could have water, psychic and ice moves. Pretty good coverage if I do say so myself.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:44 pm

^ It also had my two favorite combo moves, Thunder Wave and Confuse Ray. It's enough to chase off almost anything in G/S/C.

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:52 am

[QUOTE="Tazy Ten, post: 1572252, member: 19345"]It was usually the Pokemon known for having Recover if I remember right. It wasn't a pain, but it was always something you needed to respect since it could have water, psychic and ice moves. Pretty good coverage if I do say so myself.[/QUOTE]

Some people still run Recover/Hydro Pump/Psychic/Rapid Spin but recover on a offense set is kinda counter-productive in my mind. It's better to have that extra coverage in the offense set then a support option like Recover.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:14 am

Recover on offensive Starmie doesn't make all that much sense to me due to how easily it folds. You'll want to use Recover opportunities to either Rapid Spin or Analytic-blast something anyway.

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:14 pm

Starmie is ca-ute!! I like Psychic and Ice Beam. :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

TEDDY!

Post by TEDDY! » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:11 am

My opinion is as such, Starmie USE TO be very viable, with is above average special attack and speed stats and a very diverse move pool. But two things in particular destroyed this pokemon's viability. Mega-Blastoise and volt switch.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:27 pm

Fillin' out my dex in HG and got enough points for a Water Stone to evolve my Staryu last week! I feel like Starmie was only really good until Gen 3 or 4...
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

Deckedout Gaming

Post by Deckedout Gaming » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:12 am

Starmie is ca-ute!! I like it...

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:13 am

I don't like Starmie's design. It feels kind of lazy. Feel that way about any mon whose evolution is just 'the original mon, only more of them' (see also: Dugtrio and Magneton). Like...I mean, they went bananas with Exeggutor. 'Bunch of eggs' evolves into 'coconut palm', right--------hey, like don't threaten me with a good time. Or like how about Dragonite. That thing went well off the ramp, man. Would anyone like Dragonite's design if it was just three Dratinis slithering grossly all over each other? I tend to doubt it.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:17 am

Wouldn't it be three Dragonair slithering grossly all over each other?

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:18 am

Maybe. Probably.

...Dragonair looks like garbage. Like, some middle evos look good. Ivysaur looks like he's made of rough tough stuff. Nidorino, too. I wouldn't want to go to bat against a Charmeleon. Comparatively, Dragonair sucks.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:33 pm

Starmie is great, but everytime I see the BW sprites I think it looks like a DJ hype man at a party.

...which makes me like it more.[DOUBLEPOST=1488575958,1488575640][/DOUBLEPOST]If you take set number one and take off some special attack for defensive investments and change the item out for assault vest that works pretty well too, it could definitely make you a decent bit tankier, especially since you'll be trying to avoid knock offs anyway. A choice scarf set isn't out of the question either.[DOUBLEPOST=1488576807][/DOUBLEPOST]Also if you really want to take advantage of analytic you could run a quiet nature with 0 speed investment with the assault vest/ life orb cause on a speedier set it only really hits things with analytic activated that hit you first. It can also be a bit of a boon if your opponent runs trick room, the only problem with it is survival. Natural cure is always usable to.

If they ever release an evolution or mega for Starmie I hope it gets Regenerator. Partly because starfish are one of the only creatures that can actively regenerate limbs, and because it's pretty useful.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow
-Your offense only makes me stronger.

Return to “Pokemon: Alola”