W̛̝̺h҉̫͇̹̠͍̙ỵ̣͓ ͖̟̙̖̼̤̻d̛͙̘͕̲͎̤̼i̡͔d͈̲͝n̝̣͉̞̣'̩͙͈t̟̥̞̗̫̕ ̵̯̮͓y͙̘̖͈̥̠͘o̳̼͍͇̠͠u̦̻̥͞ ͖l̫̣̦̤̠͈̠í̹̞̼s̛̻͚t̢̘ͅe͚̘̬͍̬͎̺n̪̦͓̝͚̳

Moderator: Scarecrow

steeze

Re: W̛̝̺h҉̫͇̹̠͍̙ỵ̣͓ ͖̟̙̖̼̤̻d̛͙̘͕̲͎̤̼i̡͔d͈̲͝n̝̣͉̞̣'̩͙͈t̟̥̞̗̫̕ ̵̯̮͓y͙̘̖͈̥̠͘o̳̼͍͇̠͠u̦̻̥͞ ͖l̫̣̦̤̠͈̠í̹̞̼s̛̻͚t̢̘ͅe͚̘̬͍̬͎̺n̪̦͓̝

Post by steeze » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:28 pm

It's like a Ted & Deadpool PG Sushirrito with spicy crunchy family values. Animators made Charizard's scales look like a ceramic roof tile. I'll watch it and love every GD second of it. Video game movies have a tough enough time as it is so I'll get off their back for this one.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Re: W̛̝̺h҉̫͇̹̠͍̙ỵ̣͓ ͖̟̙̖̼̤̻d̛͙̘͕̲͎̤̼i̡͔d͈̲͝n̝̣͉̞̣'̩͙͈t̟̥̞̗̫̕ ̵̯̮͓y͙̘̖͈̥̠͘o̳̼͍͇̠͠u̦̻̥͞ ͖l̫̣̦̤̠͈̠í̹̞̼s̛̻͚t̢̘ͅe͚̘̬͍̬͎̺n̪̦͓̝

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:09 pm

mushroom wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:59 am
It's a Joke. meant to convey that Detective Pikachu is some kind of eldritch horror
Detective Pikachu isn't my idea of an eldritch horror. Detective Pikachu is a cutie patootie.

This is my idea of an eldritch horror.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:27 am

Image Image

The Pokemon in this movie remind me of those "realistic" images of cartoon characters you occasionally see floating around the internet. Detective Pikachu takes Pokemon, with their cutesy designs and anime-esque features and proportions, and transplants them into the real world. It just doesn't look... right.

I'm sure it'll grow on me, but it's going to take some time. I think some of the Pokemon look better than others.

Marilincarnation
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilincarnation » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:29 am

The Pokemon look much better in motion than they do in stills, IMO.

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:16 am

Jigglypuff you good?
You're looking hella crusty. Doodoodoo

X-3

Post by X-3 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:57 am

^^^I think that's the look they were going for.

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:10 pm

I just watched the trailer. Movie seems riddled with cliches and the main character isn't likable, seems like a poor actor too. I also question who they cast for Pikachu as well, seems like he's just phoning it in. ML was right, the Pokemon definitely seem better in motion than the still images do, but still not very good (especially Jigglypuff).

They should throw the term "Pocket Monsters" out there a bit, emphasis on the "monsters." Might take the edge off...still seems kinda fun.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:52 am

Valigarmander wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:27 am
Image Image

The Pokemon in this movie remind me of those "realistic" images of cartoon characters you occasionally see floating around the internet. Detective Pikachu takes Pokemon, with their cutesy designs and anime-esque features and proportions, and transplants them into the real world. It just doesn't look... right.

I'm sure it'll grow on me, but it's going to take some time. I think some of the Pokemon look better than others.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:18 pm

Apparently, this movie is directed by Rob Letterman.

You know, the guy who directed this masterpiece.

Suddenly, the butt-ugly CGI makes perfect sense.... seriously Letterman, direct Horror.

Marilincarnation
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilincarnation » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:42 pm

Butt-ugly is pretty harsh. Even if it’s not your style, the CGI is pretty impressive. And I happen to think it looks rather good.

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:17 pm

Its impressive technical but but really good art for the stgle as of pokemon. I guess its hard to transalate the Sugimori art style to reality but still looks alright.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:35 pm

The problem is the mixture of the cartoony proportions and the realistic textures, contrasting with the real life people. This makes the Pokémon look like either animated Piñatas or stuffed animals (their eyes look too glassy) at best and at worst, like creatures that walked out of Lovecraftian nightmares. (Mr. Mime, already a Pokémon in the Uncanny Valley, looks EVEN WORSE in CGI, its "hair" looks like fleshy protrusions. THAT SHOULD NOT BE HAIR. And Psyduck's eyes have no irises or pupils while its feathers don't even look like a duck's. The result is that it looks like if I smacked it with a stick, it'd explode into a pile of candy.)

If they just did it all CG with toon-proportioned humans, it wouldn't look nearly as hideous. Oh but we all know this is Hollywood - we can't possibly do something animated unless we have glowing pastel colours everywhere. Whoever heard of a CG cartoon that isn't what our focus groups says is a CG Cartoon?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:13 am

¯\_________________________(ツ)____________________________/¯

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:02 pm

...I kind of want a 'Detective Pikachu' movie that's, like, a really hard R. Barely scrapin in under NC-17. Just the bleakest of bleak film noir---------like, past 'Sin City'. 'Big Man Plans' territory, right. Detective Pikachu doing and seeing some hard bad sh*t.

I just...I want to see Pikachu playing bad-cop/worse-cop. Going way over the line. Detective Pikachu goes hard in Chinatown, taking on human traffickers. Finds his human partner laid out in an opium den, dead to the world. Can't lift him, or drag him to safety---------sits watching the door for two days straight, staring down the iron sights of his tommy gun. Who knows if its the Tong, or the Triads, or just the cleaning lady knocking next?
boo----------------the furious little monkey

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:38 am

Booyakasha wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:02 pm
...I kind of want a 'Detective Pikachu' movie that's, like, a really hard R. Barely scrapin in under NC-17. Just the bleakest of bleak film noir---------like, past 'Sin City'. 'Big Man Plans' territory, right. Detective Pikachu doing and seeing some hard bad sh*t.

I just...I want to see Pikachu playing bad-cop/worse-cop. Going way over the line. Detective Pikachu goes hard in Chinatown, taking on human traffickers. Finds his human partner laid out in an opium den, dead to the world. Can't lift him, or drag him to safety---------sits watching the door for two days straight, staring down the iron sights of his tommy gun. Who knows if its the Tong, or the Triads, or just the cleaning lady knocking next?
He needs to break up Jynx prostitution rings, get in over his head with illegal "Rare Candy" smuggling, and try not to become entangled with Pikachu broads, they're nothin' but trouble...but he likes trouble.

Return to “Pokemon: Alola”