If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Do I cut my losses?

Moderator: Scarecrow

Nomyt
Supermod

Do I cut my losses?

Post by Nomyt » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:40 pm

So since completing the Pokedex on Moon, I decided to carry on as a Shiny Hunter. I decided to try and get a shiny pokemon to make a kind of Shiny Living Dex. I got Rowlett and Litten within a month of getting the Shiny Charm, and by using the Masuda Method. So even though it's a rubbish shiny I decided to go for Popplio....and now 7 months later I'm still hatching Popplio eggs!

It shouldn't be taking this long. I'm extra careful before releasing Popplios to check for shinies. (Slightly darker Blue blue bits, and slightly whiter white bits.)
Do I just stop now? I hatch at least 35 eggs a day, sometimes more, and it's getting ridiculous. Although, hasn't taken as long as Axew. (That took me at least a year, but that was without SC.)

Should I breed Caterpi, Grubbin, or keep with Pops?
Peace and Love X

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:06 pm

Shiny Living Dex is nothing short of insane, I'm afraid. Just think--to do Shiny Living, you'll have to not only hatch Popplio eggs for eternity...you'll have to hatch Popplio eggs for three eternities.

I'd say it's a little too ambitious. Don't want to kill your love of the game, y'know?
Carthago delendum est

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:11 pm

Just inject it ;^)

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:48 am

If it isn't fun for you, if there's no end in sight, and if you're mainly doing it because "well, I've come this far", then you should stop now. Investing loads of extra effort into what you've called a 'rubbish shiny' isn't going to make it more worth having in the end.
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

Random User

Post by Random User » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:16 am

You already started, now you got finish

Nomyt
Supermod

Post by Nomyt » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:01 am

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1639588, member: 23215"]Shiny Living Dex is nothing short of insane, I'm afraid. Just think--to do Shiny Living, you'll have to not only hatch Popplio eggs for eternity...you'll have to hatch Popplio eggs for three eternities.

I'd say it's a little too ambitious. Don't want to kill your love of the game, y'know?[/QUOTE]
I decided to only get one shiny from each family at a time, so I'm not going to get all three at once as that will driving me crazy. But it's like. I don't really know what else to do on Moon until usumo comes out. Battle tree, and the Battle Royal don't really interest me. I'm not into breeding for the perfect IVs and natures. I do like shiny hunting, and like I said, Axew took me over a year to hatch, but I didn't play it constantly like I am with Moon. So I'm kind of not surprised that Axew took me longer to get.

[QUOTE="Booyakasha, post: 1639620, member: 17381"]If it isn't fun for you, if there's no end in sight, and if you're mainly doing it because "well, I've come this far", then you should stop now. Investing loads of extra effort into what you've called a 'rubbish shiny' isn't going to make it more worth having in the end.[/QUOTE]

This is true, but also a living shiny dex will look weird if it only has shinies that I like.

I've heard SOS battling is great for some shiny pokemon, I may try for Caterpie and Grubbin with SOSing and see how I do with that for a month. Then either go back for breeding, or do SOSing for a few others.
Peace and Love X

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:00 pm

[QUOTE="Nomyt, post: 1639779, member: 27534"]This is true, but also a living shiny dex will look weird if it only has shinies that I like.[/QUOTE]
Who will it look weird to?
boo-----------------------few who look upon his yucky elongated wiggle-hands live to tell the tale

Nomyt
Supermod

Post by Nomyt » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:19 am

[QUOTE="Booyakasha, post: 1639878, member: 17381"]Who will it look weird to?[/QUOTE]
The internet when I go to claim bragging rights.

Soo, I've decided to rest from Popplio eggs for a little bit, and move onto the new breeding attempt. I'm going for Caterpie. Already hatched over 61 eggs, however while hatching, I've ran into not one, but two Shiny Growlithes. So as soon as I evolve one of them dudes, that's the Growlithe line done in the Shiny Dex done. :D
Peace and Love X

Nomyt
Supermod

Post by Nomyt » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:43 pm

Caterpie got in 223 eggs. Popplio just hates me, also got a shiny Magnemite. :thumbsup:
Peace and Love X

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Yayyyy well done, Nomyt!! *gives you Pokemon marshmallows* :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:50 am

Are you doing Masuda for everything, or are you going to try your hand at chaining?
Carthago delendum est

Nomyt
Supermod

Post by Nomyt » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:28 am

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1640799, member: 23215"]Are you doing Masuda for everything, or are you going to try your hand at chaining?[/QUOTE]

I'm looking into chaining. I think I might try for some of the fishing spots. But it's like if I go into SOSing, the less time I spend hatching Eggs. I only get to play for an hour or so a day, and I've heard that SOSing can take over a couple of hours to find shinys.
Peace and Love X

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:03 am

^I guess that's true. I SOS chained one shiny, and it was super easy and, in my one experience, relatively quick. But it could conceivably take much longer than it did for me.
Carthago delendum est

Return to “Pokemon: Alola”