Pokemon Sword/Shield

Moderator: Scarecrow

Marilink
Supermod

Re: Pokemon Sword/Shield

Post by Marilink » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:52 pm

^I guess I haven’t seen that info. But I dunno, that seems off to me. I’ll have to wait and see.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:17 pm

Oh you know what ML I didnt even think of that. If a primary selling point is cross compatibility with PoGO and the mainline series but the mainline series dex excludes most PoGO mons.... yeah I can see how that might be an issue.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:49 pm

I'm trying to avoid learning things about this game before launch, but the kerfuffle about the National Dex is making that harder than I expected. I saw some discussion of how bad the trees look and how the field Wingulls aren't animated that's mildly concerning, too. Obviously tree textures and animated overworld models do not a good game make, and there were always going to be teething pains in the transition to a game of this size, but it does make you wonder what we're not seeing if those were deemed finished enough to demo, and how much they can realistically improve in the next 5 months.

I've stopped buying games that employ crunch time, so I'm fully behind Nintendo's decision not to use it, but at the same time I hope said decision comes with a willingness to postpone a launch if it isn't ready. I'd rather play a fully featured Pokemon next summer than a barebones one in the fall.

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:01 pm

I am nobody wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:49 pm
I'm trying to avoid learning things about this game before launch, but the kerfuffle about the National Dex is making that harder than I expected. I saw some discussion of how bad the trees look and how the field Wingulls aren't animated that's mildly concerning, too. Obviously tree textures and animated overworld models do not a good game make, and there were always going to be teething pains in the transition to a game of this size, but it does make you wonder what we're not seeing if those were deemed finished enough to demo, and how much they can realistically improve in the next 5 months.

I've stopped buying games that employ crunch time, so I'm fully behind Nintendo's decision not to use it, but at the same time I hope said decision comes with a willingness to postpone a launch if it isn't ready. I'd rather play a fully featured Pokemon next summer than a barebones one in the fall.
They call me Captain Crunch. I only have 20 days left in my pokemon bank subscription so really this couldn't have come at a better time.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:24 am

So, Masuda responded to the recent complaints...

https://www.pokemon.com/us/a-message-fo ... =Statement
A Message for Pokémon Video Game Fans

Please see below for a message from Mr. Junichi Masuda of GAME FREAK, the producer of Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield.

ファンのみなさん、いつもポケモンを大切に思ってくれて、本当にありがとうございます。先日、「ポケットモンスター ソード・シールド」に一部のポケモンを連れて行けないことを発表しました。みなさんの様々なメッセージや意見を読み、みなさんのポケモンに対する愛を、改めて深く感じました。

みなさんと同じように、私たちもポケモンに対する愛を持っています。みなさんと同じようにポケモン1匹1匹はとても大切だと考えています。私自身はずっと「ポケットモンスターシリーズ」の開発を行ってきましたので、本当に難しい決断でした。改めて伝えたいと思いますが、ソード・シールドに登場しなかったポケモンがいるとしても、その先のソフトに今後も登場しないわけではありません。

ポケモンの世界は今後も広がっていきます。ガラル地方には、初めて出会うポケモン、見知らぬトレーナーとのバトル、そして新しい冒険が待っています。みなさんに喜んでいただけるよう、心を込めて制作に取り組んでいますので、楽しみにお待ちいただければと思います。

2019.6.28 増田順一

Thank you to all of our fans for caring so deeply about Pokémon. Recently, I shared the news that some Pokémon cannot be transferred to Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield. I've read all your comments and appreciate your love and passion for Pokémon.

Just like all of you, we are passionate about Pokémon and each and every one of them is very important to us. After so many years of developing the Pokémon video games, this was a very difficult decision for me. I'd like to make one thing clear: even if a specific Pokémon is not available in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, that does not mean it will not appear in future games.

The world of Pokémon continues to evolve. The Galar region offers new Pokémon to encounter, Trainers to battle, and adventures to embark on. We are pouring our hearts into these games, and we hope you will look forward to joining us on this new journey.

June 28, 2019

Junichi Masuda
So I was wrong with my initial thought that the information was mistranslated. However, I’m also not broken up by this news. I think a smaller and more focused Pokédex for these games is totally, 100% fine.

I’m in the minority though. Fans are overreacting like crazy. I hate this community sometimes. Most of the time.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:33 pm

So, they're not just removing them.

And yes, fans are indeed overreacting because that's what they are - fans.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:28 pm

To an extent, i think this is out of Masuda's hands. Removing/not-implementing Pokemon is pretty clearly to me a last resort option. I think Game Freak as a development studio is too small, too limited in time and budget to fully deliver what people want in 3D, and as they are they're kind of biting off more than they can chew. Their job fundamentally has always been to push out Pokemon games as fast and cheaply as possible to springboard merchandise pushes; this worked fine enough during the 2D era, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the DS games (Pt/HGSS/BW2) are generally the ones looked upon most fondly. When we get to 3D however, things get more complicated, as new monsters and existing monsters become more expensive and time-consuming to implement. To my understanding the Gen 6/7 models were made to be 'future-proof' but I guess with the jump to HD things did not turn out as planned, hence this situation. Making matters worse, iffy 3D work is more noticeable than iffy 2D work. You noticed the OoT trees, but how many off-model Pokemon sprites (besides Red and Green) did you notice in the past?

To be honest, I think Game Freak choosing to stay relatively small despite its massive success is admirable. This is an industry with ballooning studio sizes, crunch time worries etc. It's probably (or hopefully at least) a much healthier place to work at than say Ubisoft. But quality-wise a small studio can only do so much with strict deadlines and a small budget. Past a certain point the focus becomes relegated to "Well, let's make a game that's good enough", and I think that's just way too cynical. Pokemon deserves better, Game Freak deserves better. :shrug:
Last edited by X-3 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MeowMan

Post by MeowMan » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:57 pm

X-3 wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:28 pm
To my understanding the Gen 6/7 models were made to be 'future-proof' but I guess with the jump to HD things did not turn out as planned, hence this situation.
yeah, the models for X/Y were made higher quality than they needed to be and then scaled down, and they've used the same models for every game since until now, i think even for Let's Go. i think the problem isn't really with HD but with the Dynamax feature - larger models require higher quality

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:02 pm

As long as they don't try re-numbering the dex again, I feel like it's not too big a deal.

And remember, "I'm-a Charizard, number, well, six."

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:24 pm

^The Galar Pokédex will probably have its own numbering system, a la Ruby/Sapphire pre-natdex.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:02 pm

If you compare Sword/Shield to its predecessors visually it’s a huge upgrade. People are comparing Sword/Shield to other contemporaries and yeah it definitely is not the most visually stunning work by comparison.

Personally, I think a lot of it comes down to GF pretty much churning out a Pokémon release every year. It’s so merchandised that the priority is on getting new games out so all the companions (trading cards, anime, etc etc) can get new stuff out too. The Pokémon Company is not prioritizing making every new installment a masterwork of gaming. But that also doesn’t mean it won’t be fun and a good game to play.

I honestly see where a lot of the disappointment is coming from but I wish it weren’t being demanded by obnoxious entitled jerkbros. This is a personal bias, but I kind of hate the mentality that creators must cater to fans’ desires, and I think a lot of modern media is created and consumed with that dynamic in mind. I think people have a right to be angry and to criticize, but they don’t have ownership of how the creators choose to go about their creations, and if those don’t align then that’s not a moral failure on the part of the creator.

Anyway I think most people agree that it would be cool if the games taking longer to come out meant that we got more polished content. That does not look like how this series is gonna be treated moving forward. And if that puts people off that’s completely fine, but it doesn’t make the developers evil lazy horrible people.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:16 pm

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:43 pm

I love seeing these hot takes of "Nintendo should just give Pokémon to a new IP"

Well... careful what you wish for - not everyone would have the same ideas on how to run an IP. I mean, everyone was definitely receptive to colosseum and Gale of Darkness's set-in-stone list... not.

steeze

Post by steeze » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:25 am

Pokemon politics are getting out of hand. Just play the game if you want. It's been around for years and years. It will continue to be. Just let GameFreak level itself out so it can keep flying.

Return to “Pokemon: Alola”