RIP Magical Hyrule Barrier 2002-2017

Moderators: Marilink, Booyakasha

X-3

RIP Magical Hyrule Barrier 2002-2017

Post by X-3 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:09 pm

At the halfway point of Wind Waker, you find a barrier deep underwater with Hyrule Castle. Behind it is Ganon's Tower, the final area of the game. To break it, you need a fully-restored Master Sword, something that you'll only get at the very end of the game. Naturally, speedrunners figured that if they found a way past this barrier, they could skip the second-half of the game: two dungeons and a Triforce Quest. Just one problem: the barrier is really, really, really, really secure.

[spoiler=Large Image]Image[/spoiler]

Thus, for over a decade, skipping the barrier has been nothing more than a pipe dream. Last year, progress was made with the HD version as someone skipped the barrier for the first time (warning: loud) using a HD-exclusive glitch called Item Sliding. However, there was not yet a consistent method of replicating the trick, making it very unreliable for speedruns. It also required the Iron Boots, an issue I will explain in a bit. Still, it proved that the dream was alive.

Now, just a few days ago, someone else found a way past the barrier. (warning: very loud) Not only that, the inputs used were logged, meaning it could be replicated. The one problem was that the Iron Boots were required, meaning that this skip would save only a few minutes. You can only get the Iron Boots after the second visit to Hyrule, however after that visit the way to Hyrule is closed until the Triforce Quest is completed. Soon afterwards however, a way of getting through without the Iron Boots was found. (warning: also loud)

So how fast is the any% speedrun now? Well, with good RNG...

Current World Record

note 1: I probably got a lot of the story wrong, but the point is that the barrier has been skipped after more than a decade.

note 2: title is inaccurate, because this trick actually saves the barrier from being destroyed

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilink » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:22 pm

THE MYTHICAL BARRIER SKIP

I saw the news earlier in the week and was absolutely shocked. Barrier Skip had basically become a meme by this point. But now that they've found a way to do it without Iron Boots, the game is essentially blown open.
Carthago delendum est

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:34 am

I'm impressed. Has anyone managed to find any boundary breaks for underwater Hyrule? I'm aware that it's all just window dressing, but it still seemed like such a shame that you couldn't visit any of the locations in the background. It obviously seemed like, at the time, that Nintendo didn't really fully appreciate that some things aren't about direct payoff. Abandoned but preserved towns are probably one of the most interesting settings possible in a game.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:04 pm

^ Yeah, I'm sure most of the background of Hyrule is just environment cards with the towns JPG'd onto them. Which is super sad because my imagination wants to dream!
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

Random User

Post by Random User » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:12 am

[QUOTE="е и ժ е я, post: 1627765, member: 25415"]I'm impressed. Has anyone managed to find any boundary breaks for underwater Hyrule? I'm aware that it's all just window dressing, but it still seemed like such a shame that you couldn't visit any of the locations in the background. It obviously seemed like, at the time, that Nintendo didn't really fully appreciate that some things aren't about direct payoff. Abandoned but preserved towns are probably one of the most interesting settings possible in a game.[/QUOTE]
Search "boundary break wind waker" on YouTube, someone freecammed around underwater Hyrule. If that's what you mean. I don't think anyone's done it in regular play.

glux

Post by glux » Tue May 02, 2017 6:16 pm

I could have sworn I saw a video of a speedrunner showing how to skip it.
It went back and found it, and it's actually a video about why you CAN'T skip it.
FTP

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu May 04, 2017 1:40 pm

Carthago delendum est

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon May 22, 2017 1:59 pm

While I think this is cool and all, I never understood how stuff like this qualifies for speedrunning. You're just exploiting the game. Speedrunning to me is seeing who's the fastest at finishing the game the way it was meant to be played. Not being like "okay let's use the wormhole now!"
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon May 22, 2017 2:30 pm

[QUOTE="ScottyMcGee, post: 1631037, member: 31048"]While I think this is cool and all, I never understood how stuff like this qualifies for speedrunning. You're just exploiting the game. Speedrunning to me is seeing who's the fastest at finishing the game the way it was meant to be played. Not being like "okay let's use the wormhole now!"[/QUOTE]
There are glitchless categories for that.

If the game allows for an exploitation of its own systems, why should the players have to refrain from using them when trying to beat the game as fast as possible? They're not using a Game Genie or introducing some outside influence to the game; they're using tools that the developers have given them to beat the game quickly. Unintended? Most definitely. Illegitimate? I don't see the reasoning.
Carthago delendum est

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon May 22, 2017 2:45 pm

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1631041, member: 23215"]There are glitchless categories for that.
[/QUOTE]

Okay if they separate them by categories I feel better about it. I just find it pointless to try to judge speedruns when exploiting glitches are involved. I roll my eyes and click away whenever I find a YouTube video like "SOMEONE BEAT SUPER MARIO 64 IN 5.432423 MINUTES!!!" and the mystery is just that they somersaulted through levels or some crazy pannenkoek2012 ****. Like "Oh, well, you didn't REALLY play through the game. . ."
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon May 22, 2017 2:53 pm

But they did play through the game. They just did it faster than intended. And usually with a level of skill higher than required to beat the game normally.

And basically every game has multiple categories, at the very least some equivalents to "any%" (beat the game as fast as possible by any means necessary) and "100%" (beat the game by playing every level and collecting every item). So for Mario 64 speedruns, maybe check out a 120-star speedrun--the record for that just went down to 1:39:59 a week or two ago. Meanwhile, some speed games like Super Metroid aren't very glitch-heavy at all, but instead rely on optimal play.

OoT is infamous for having a bajillion categories--any%, 100%, All Dungeons, Medallions Stones and Trials, Glitchless, any% No Wrong Warp, Child Dungeons, etc etc etc
Carthago delendum est

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon May 22, 2017 3:18 pm

They played through the game but at the same time. . not. . really. . .? "Playing through the game" is a very strict definition for me. Okay, they spent time and energy pulling off those glitches. Cool. There's also skill involved playing through the game not using the glitches and developing finesse within the boundaries of the game as it was mean to be played.

I mean. . .I'm just being a purist, elitist dick is basically what it comes down to.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon May 22, 2017 4:00 pm

I wasn't gonna say it. ;)

Who determines how a game is "meant to be played," though?
Carthago delendum est

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon May 22, 2017 6:29 pm

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”