If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Game Hypothesis: Pop-Culture References in Breath of the Wild!?!?!?!?!? [SPOILERS!!!]

Moderators: Marilink, Booyakasha

X-3

Game Hypothesis: Pop-Culture References in Breath of the Wild!?!?!?!?!? [SPOILERS!!!]

Post by X-3 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:24 pm

What is POPPING people, this is your boy the one, the only, THE Toad, and I'm bringing you another spicy piping red-hot episode of GAME HYPOTHESIS. I've been hearing a lot of requests for episodes from my dozens of fans, and I just wanted to take a moment to say thanks but get bent. Today we're taking a look at the hot new game from Nintendo...Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Frankly, it's a breath...of fresh air. But its quality aside, have you been able to pick up on some of the more obscure pop-culture references hidden in the game? You probably haven't, which is why I'm taking a moment to showcase some of them.

First, we start with the Master Sword. Now when this game came out a lot of people were saying "a sword that shoots lasers? And it is stuck in a rock? That is dumb." What you probably didn't know is that the idea of a mystical sword in a stone is HEAVILY inspired by none over than...

Released in 2005, this game bombed...but it wasn't forgotten. Zelda series creator Miyamoto Aonuma has gone on record as saying, "sonic...is...a...pretty...good...game...yeah..." It's a safe bet to say the idea came from there!

Moving on, we have the Guardian.

It's a robot. Pretty stupid, right? Wrong! Think about it...it's a robot that seeks out and tries to murder you until it is completely destroyed. Hmm, that sounds very familiar...Like a popular movie released in 1984 by a now-famous director...Oh, I know!

Who can forget about Ash, who is a robot that tries to murder the main cast?

Next up we've got the ever-popular Bokoblin. Just an ordinary enemy, right? No! In this game they come in several colors...red, blue, black and silver. Other enemies are the same. So what's the significance of this?

The same colors as the male Power Rangers! You can't fool us, Nintendo. Not when I'm on the prowl.

And finally...

Yep, that's a Bambi shout-out alright. Just like the movie, you can kill that deer's mom. (because Bambi's mom dies)

Know of any other obscure references in Breath of the Wild? Comment below with some of your favorites, and be sure to like, follow, upvote, thumbs-up, retweet, fax and subscribe to my threads!

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:22 am

But hey, it's just a theory. A GAERM THEEREE.
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:08 am

thanghs form atchinguh

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:38 am

In non-April-Fools hypotheses....

Dayto:

Old Man:

Robbie:
(This one's more of a behavioral resemblance than a visual resemblance. And the name, of course.)

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”