If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Breath of the Wild: The Absolutely Necessary Release Thread

Moderators: Marilink, Booyakasha

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:42 am

Finally got a Switch yesterday from Amazon's second wave. I've played up to getting the paraglider so far, which obviously isn't enough time to make a judgement on much of anything. So far all I can say is that it's reminding me of Souls a lot more than any previous game did, that metal weapons seem to have reasonable durability, and that I'm not convinced that the stamina meter adds anything to the game.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:06 am

[QUOTE="I am nobody, post: 1626427, member: 34539"]I'm not convinced that the stamina meter adds anything to the game.[/QUOTE]
It has a lot to do with item gathering and preparation and is in many ways tied into the reward-for-exploration structure of the game. It heavily affects what you can climb and when and helps make climbing a considered exercise, and it also affects swimming and combat directly as well as animal taming. You'll feel it more directly the further you go.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:12 am

I'm okay with the stamina meter for climbing and paragliding, but I don't see how the game benefits from setting Link's running and swimming endurance to that of an actual centenarian.

But like I said, it's far too early to be making any kind of judgement on that. Maybe there'll be something incredible later on that makes alternating holding and releasing B every five seconds worth it.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:28 am

[QUOTE="I am nobody, post: 1626431, member: 34539"]I'm okay with the stamina meter for climbing and paragliding, but I don't see how the game benefits from setting Link's running and swimming endurance to that of an actual centenarian.

But like I said, it's far to early to be making any kind of judgement on that. Maybe there'll be something incredible later on that makes alternating holding and releasing B every five seconds worth it.[/QUOTE]
To be fair, the stamina meter can also be upgraded in addition to your hearts, and it's easy to make food and elixers that one-time-use expand it. Choose stamina over health and you probably won't regret it. You can change it later if you know where to go.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:18 am

I hate the fact that Link has limited stamina when it comes to swimming. I hate running out of stamina because of climbing or something else, and then (poop) I drown and lose a heart. Other than that, stamina is mainly an limiting quotient on paragliding/climbing/exploration. The more you level up (or the more you craft stamina-improving elixirs), the more comfortable exploration becomes.

That said, there's nothing that you need more than 1.6 stamina wheels (3 upgrades) for. The only advantage to stamina elixirs or upgrades beyond that is the speed at which you can climb or the length you can sail over treacherous terrain. At endgame, I have 30 hearts and 2.4 stamina wheels (one of the possible max-level statistics -- you can't upgrade everything to full), and I feel fine.

Generally, in the early game, I was going about 3:1 hearts to stamina upgrades. I feel that worked well for me. Then again, I explored at my leisure and didn't really go grinding durians to get +20 temp hearts or anything. :p

(Yes, you can cook 5 durians for full recovery +20 temp hearts.)
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:52 am

I personally wish that swimming used a different stamina gauge, if they wanted to make it use one at all. Kinda like Wind Waker's blue meter.
Carthago delendum est

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:41 am

^But bigger than Wind Waker's blue meter, because that drained ludicrously fast.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Eh, I wouldn't mind if it were of comparable size, as long as it used a different gauge than Stamina. Falling off of a cliff and immediately drowning is not a fun time.
Carthago delendum est

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:09 pm

I'd say that being almost unable to swim one lap across a swimming pool is ridiculous, but...

- Then I remember Link is doing this with armour on, and
- Then I remember that I have a sufficiently upgraded Zora Armour that allows me to swim way further.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:57 pm

^It's not any better if you're doing it in cloth or naked, though.

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:08 pm

ssh ssh suspension of disbelief ssh ssh

Cravdraa

Post by Cravdraa » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:56 pm

Actually, that's not true. Link swims nearly twice as fast with no clothes on than he does wearing anything but the zora armor.
It's still pretty pathetic though. =p

So... I've been made aware of something very important.
Incredible even.
If you pick up a cucco and throw it at an enemy, and the enemy happens to attack the cucco in the process... it summon the swarm down upon them.

So I ask you. ALL of you. Who will be the first to manage to get a cucco into hyrule castle to throw at Ganon?

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:59 pm

I have my suspicions that is not possible to pull off.

I like the stamina gauge for climbing, but everything else is kind of eh. Swimming generally feels too slow even with full Zora Armor.

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:04 pm

I think Ganon is protected by cutscene. I've heard that it's not possible.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:33 am

[QUOTE="The Missing Link, post: 1626536, member: 19860"]I think Ganon is protected by cutscene. I've heard that it's not possible.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it changed my location slightly when it happened as I approached the castle.

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:47 am

Finally started playing this Friday night.

This game is unbelievably beautiful.

Cravdraa

Post by Cravdraa » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:50 am

Now I could be wrong, maybe it'll surprise me yet, but I'm utterly baffled that a game loaded with disposable equipment doesn't seem to have likelikes in it.

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:04 am

I likelike all of the content in the game, so I don't know why you haven't found the same thing, Crav.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:56 am

I think I've mostly crossed the threshold of wonderment finally, and am more willing to approach the game as a set of tasks to fulfill than further engage in my near-aimless wandering. I really have enjoyed exploring most of the map the long and roundabout way, though. Really lovely settings, overall. Playing it as I have, sometimes the interaction can seem sparse, but even just as a 'walking simulator' it is success when there is effectively nothing else to accomplish in sight. I always want to know what's over the next rise. In some ways, it's a shame that they put the map towers in the game. I'd much rather have a fog-of-war sort of device that lets me see where I've been overall.

I will say that it certainly could benefit from more varied enemy types depending on the region. Icy/Fire Lizalfos, Keese, or whatever is not exactly the most compelling dynamic. I prefer the old LttP method of altogether new species which simply retain largely the same behavior, if we're to have minor variants overall.

This is such a lovely game, though. The first that's actually felt like it carried the proper Zelda torch for me, probably since Link's Awakening.

Random User

Post by Random User » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:09 pm

Good news, too, Aounuma has stated that the open-world direction is the one LoZ will be going in from now on.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... elda_games

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”