If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Breath of the Wild: The Absolutely Necessary Release Thread

Moderators: Marilink, Booyakasha

X-3

Breath of the Wild: The Absolutely Necessary Release Thread

Post by X-3 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:15 pm

Game comes out tomorrow in America Land, so I figured a separate thread to discuss the final product made sense. Mark plot/location spoilers if there are any.

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:18 pm

So far the game is awesome. I stayed up 'til 4am last night playing. It's incredibly fun just faffing about as you vaguely head in some direction in hopes of following some nebulous objective.
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:59 am

I'm gonna try to grab a copy for the Wii U either tomorrow before work or on the weekend. Dunno how hard it'll be to find one.

Bad Dragonite

Post by Bad Dragonite » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:45 am

I've been lowkey excited for this game for a while, hopefully I stumble across the funds to get it soon. :) The game seems fantastic.
-Bow Chika Bow Wow
-Your offense only makes me stronger.

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:38 pm

as is the standard with my entire life it will be near the end of the console's life before I end up playing this game most likely

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:39 pm

Will probably get it for Switch in a few months.

Looks p. good.

Random User

Post by Random User » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:43 pm

I have to admit I'm really hyped to play this, just dunno when I'll get the chance.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:48 pm

I cannot wait to play this game. Sunday can't come soon enough
Carthago delendum est

X-3

Post by X-3 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:36 pm

Played for a few hours. Fun so far, but like other open world games I'm wondering if it can keep going.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:25 pm

Couldn't get a copy today. I'll try looking around again tomorrow. If I can't find one then, I might just skip this game. I've been finding it really hard to get into single-player games lately, and even though BotW looks awesome I'm not as excited about it as I ought to be. I had the same problem last year with the new Ace Attorney game: I had to force myself to dust off my 3DS and buy it, and while it was a good game, most of the time it felt like I was eager to finish it and be done with it.

So we'll see. If I don't get it now, I may end up changing my mind and getting it later.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:30 pm

[QUOTE="X-3, post: 1623937, member: 27765"]Played for a few hours. Fun so far, but like other open world games I'm wondering if it can keep going.[/QUOTE]
I've heard that the game consistently rewards you for about every bit of exploration you do. I wouldn't get too worried.
Carthago delendum est

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:31 am

Got Switch and Zelda: Wild Heavy Breathing yesterday, proceeded to play it all day. This is largely the Zelda game I have been talking about for years. I've been waiting for this since 1991. It is one of the best games I've ever played, already. Weapons, etc, all of it. Kill a skeleton, beat it with its own arm. Climb the wall of a ruined cathedral to access its roof and find treasure stowed away against the ages.

It has a sense of realism only where necessary, it punishes reckless behavior in dangerous places. I spent around a half hour simply trying to figure out how to get close enough to mount a horse without spooking the herd. SD and I brainstormed and discovered that our actual real-world logic applied in an almost unfathomable way. This wasn't some task the game gave me. I saw what looked like a green horse and immediately wanted to ride it, and then just set about trying to figure it out.

That's actually what this game gives back to you as the player, that has been missing. It's not Contrived With A Capital C. It's not Man Tells You To Go There Because You Need a Licence to Get Through This Gate. It obviously has similar elements, but they have been re-thought and worked into the game in a way that makes you literally not want to rip the head off everyone. When someone's said they will reward me for going somewhere, I was skeptical and the game embraced that. When I did, it was not just to Get The NPC's McGuffin but it actually gave me far better abilities than any other game would normally just drop on you in its introduction.

This is actually not just good game design, this is like a complete reversal on everything that ever made me angry about a Zelda game. I could very nearly cry about it, were my very real visual sensors capable of such a human feat.

Like Val above, I actually am often quite weary of the thought of beginning yet another game and learning more 'mechanics' because they almost inevitably beat you over the head. This is actually how Nintendo did game design in its best, formative years. This kind of cleared the cobwebs and made me not just want to go back to playing the old games.

Literally the only gripe I have had about the game, aside from acknowledgement that I could voice act a bit better than the guy they hired to play Mysterious Santa, aka the triumphant return of Ubiquitous Old Man, is that the throw-weapon button is really easy to confuse for the bow-and-arrow button. My fingers keep betraying me and literally have thrown my favorite sword into the lake. I liked that sword. I want to move that button. :.(
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:07 am

my head is going to explode from the hype

I really want to play this stupid game

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:37 am

[QUOTE="monstrman, post: 1623959, member: 37253"]my head is going to explode from the hype

I really want to play this stupid game[/QUOTE]
It's just a game, don't go crazy. My happiness is at least partially that I wanted this specific game since before Nintendo knew to make it. Still, it has definitely outdone most other sandbox games IMO. It's the direction I was already planning to go with my OoT mod only obviously with purpose-built mechanics. [DOUBLEPOST=1488609445,1488609167][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh, and by the way. Auto-save with a save history like a proper game should have nowadays. I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:42 am

[QUOTE="My Potions Are Too Strong For You Traveller, post: 1623962, member: 25415"]It's just a game, don't go crazy. [/QUOTE]

You're too late I was crazy long before this game was even announced

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:03 am

2 shay mon sewer

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:24 am

post-plateau plot spoilers

[spoiler]"Link, have I ever told you about our Ancient Sheikah Giant Robots? Our ancestors built them to fight Ganon 10000 years ago, but he stole them away from us 100 years ago by roaring. They were good friends."[/spoiler]

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:12 am

Man, I don't even know where to start. My entire life, my ideal vision of a fantasy adventure has been the image of a man standing on the edge of a cliff, looking over the landscape, seeing fantastical structures and formations looming in the distance, as the setting sun casts them all as silhouettes against the horizon. The fact that they made an entire game based on this image, and it happens to be a Zelda game... dang it, it almost makes me want to shed tears too.

The best part is that they've ditched the formula of "Good, you beat the dungeon like you were supposed to, here's the item you need to progress". Instead, it's now "Nice, you went out of your way to find this cave and solve these puzzles, here's some cool stuff". Therefore finding items actually feels like you found them, not like the game handed them to you for following directions. It's all about exploration and discovery now. I can't remember the last time I've thought, "Ooh, what's that thing atop that hill? Lets go check it out" in a game. Not even Skyrim could get me to do that.

Also, I like the sorta Aetherpunk elements they've brought in. As far as I know they've never really had any kind of "technology" in the Zelda series (except maybe the time shifting stuff in Skyward Sword). Kind of a new and refreshing spin on the usual sword and sorcery setting.

The only issue I'm having is the constantly dipping framerate. I'm playing on the Wii U but I've heard the Switch has similar problems. Also the controls are taking a while to get used to. There's nothing inherently wrong with them, it's just hard to remember what button does what sometimes. On more than one occasion I planned on running towards a bokoblin camp and throwing a bomb, only to accidentally drop it instead. You can imagine how that went.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:30 am

I'm feeling scared that the dungeons won't feel the same based on what I'm hearing.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:50 am

The frame drops are almost exclusively due to the grass. Every individual grass blade is a moving and real object. You can cut it, set it on fire, etc. Animals and insects hide in it. It's awe-inspiring. I actually haven't had any frame drops outside the intro area.

I haven't been in any conventional dungeons yet. There are puzzle shrines which remind me ostensibly of Portal in that they require mastery of the game's physics and they grant you new abilities. I have had various 'oh god run away' moments regarding unexpected monsters.[DOUBLEPOST=1488621036,1488620272][/DOUBLEPOST][QUOTE="Spritedude, post: 1623968, member: 29348"] Also the controls are taking a while to get used to. There's nothing inherently wrong with them, it's just hard to remember what button does what sometimes. On more than one occasion I planned on running towards a bokoblin camp and throwing a bomb, only to accidentally drop it instead. You can imagine how that went.[/QUOTE]
I switched mine to B for Jump, X for Run/Cancel. Seems like the right decision although having played with the other was a bit confusing at first. I think of the bomb and other controls as R for Ranged or A for Alternate. Pretty much everything drops though. If I wanted to drop something and pull out my sword, I think I'd rather have it auto drop when I press the weapon button as it does, but it will definitely take some getting used to since it's not adhering closely to the OoT controls that the previous games have.

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”