If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

New Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon Speedrun Record: 30:44

Moderators: Marilink, Booyakasha

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:24 pm

^His AGDQ2017 run of Rocky and Bullwinkle was a World Record
Carthago delendum est

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:10 pm

[QUOTE="The Missing Link, post: 1620857, member: 19860"]Because they're not that bad.

Except for Zelda's Adventure.[/QUOTE]

Are you being serious?

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:11 pm

You can do the duck walk, VG_A.

Pretty cool, right?

VG_Addict

Post by VG_Addict » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:13 pm

[QUOTE="The Amazing Tazy Ten, post: 1620880, member: 19345"]You can do the duck walk, VG_A.

Pretty cool, right?[/QUOTE]

I guess.

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:01 am

[QUOTE="VG_Addict, post: 1620877, member: 34516"]Are you being serious?[/QUOTE]
Have you ever played them, VGA?

I have.[DOUBLEPOST=1486112511,1486111667][/DOUBLEPOST]More specifically...

For 95% of Zelda fans, they've probably also seen some portion of the cutscenes. The most they know about the CD-i games beyond that is that they've seen the Angry Video Game Nerd lay into them in his famous video trilogy of the "Unholy Triforce." Maybe, maybe, if we're lucky, they've actually spent the time to actually watch a Let's Play of one of them.

For 99% of Zelda fans, not a single one has ever played them. The summation of many fans' opinions on the games are solely upon AVGN and the cutscenes... and not a single ounce of gameplay or even objective experience. The AVGN has an incentive to insult games, to make them look like a laughingstock. The AVGN takes games that are "bad" (at least, word-on-the-street bad) and make them even worse. The cutscenes, I'll wholly admit, did not age well. It's early 1990s technology from a Russian company right after the fall of the Iron Curtain. I'm not going to claim that these things are the best thing ever.

But...

The games aren't horrific.

1. The games are difficult. Way more difficult than, say, Wind Waker. They're actually a fun challenge to some degree. Imagine Zelda II in that respect. Yes, Zelda II is the black sheep of the family, but it's still a decent game. Yes, part of the difficulty comes from bad hitbox detection and some very tricky jumps, but there have been far worse games on the NES and before.

2. The graphics are AMAZING for the time. The music is competent too.

3. The boss fights are certainly nothing to write home about, and the controls could have easily done with another button. But the levels themselves are reasonably fun.

4. The cutscenes... okay, the cutscenes. At some point in the mid-2000s, the Zelda cartoon went from being "atrocious" to "so bad it's really cool." Actually, they became kind of cherished and loved, even if they aren't the most amazing thing ever. I utterly cannot fathom why someone can have this opinion about the Zelda cartoons while being incapable of having the same perspective on the cutscenes. Yes, they're kind of ridiculous and terrible in their own way. But I literally laugh so very much every time I watch it. They're hilariously silly and funny. "So bad they're good," I say.

So yes, I'm being damn serious. I've played all three, beaten two. I didn't comprehend that these were somehow utterly terrible games when I played these in 1994. They were enjoyable.
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:54 am

[QUOTE="The Missing Link, post: 1620934, member: 19860"]they've seen the Angry Video Game Nerd lay into them[/QUOTE] Or Seanbaby.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:55 pm

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1620862, member: 23215"]I deem this on-topic enough to post here

[MEDIA=youtube]OcqmFm_qtnc[/MEDIA]

Enjoy [USER=29448]@Pantagon Dark[/USER][/QUOTE]
What's scary is all of the games I'm recognising assets from. The meat is from Bonk's Adventure, the spin animation is obviously Taz-Mania, enemies and other graphics from Duck Tales. I think the engine is Super Mario Land 2. This is the final form. Hong Kong originals usually cannibalize existing Roms. This is what happens when they begin cannibalizing their own bootlegs.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:06 am

Wanna see the fastest speedrun of Wand of Gamelon?

*throws Wand of Gamelon in the trash*
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”