The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Voiceacting

Moderators: Marilink, Booyakasha

spooky scary bearatons

Post by spooky scary bearatons » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:22 pm

*high pitch screeching*

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
"whether you have or have no wealth, the system might fail you, but don't fail yourself" -
GET BETTER - dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:45 pm

Marilink, post: 1618574, member: 23215 wrote:I personally don't want Link to be voiced. That'd feel wrong. And "silent protagonists" are not actually silent--they're meant to be imprints for your personal voice.
That's a valid opinion, I think it's a common one actually, but I'm curious what he would sound like. Depending on how they make the game they could have both options.

Anyway, that is not always the case with silent protagonists:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_protagonist
Many games have made use of a silent protagonist out of utility, because of technology, time, or budget limitations, or as a narrative device. Whether the player is supposed to be the protagonist or is merely assuming control of an established character and whether the game allows the player freedom of choices that would be difficult to believably justify with spoken narrative influence this decision.
Crono, Mario (at least in the RPGs, maybe not his Platformers so much), and Ness are distinct characters, and one could argue the same for Link. I think games like Fallout 3/NV and Myst are more in line with what you're talking about.

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:49 pm

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1618492, member: 23215"]^Does the concurrence of the Rito and the Zora in this universe call the Zora-Rito evolution theory into question?

(btw, typo in the last paragraph: "we won't have to wait too long")[/QUOTE]
Man, if I got to the last paragraph without typoing... and that was at 2am last night, I was doing a great job. XD

Look, there's a lot of timeline talk about this game. You've got Koroks everywhere. Does that mean it's the Adult Timeline? Well, not necessarily, because you've got the Master Sword nestled in the Lost Woods just like it was in A Link to the Past and that call out to the mountains of the original game. Okay, Declined Hero? Well, not necessarily, because the Zora look rather similar to their Twilight Princess cousins, so...

I bring this up because the point here is that Nintendo is clearly blending things together without too much (or with A LOT of purposeful) timeline or theory shenanigans. Either this game is a timeline reconvergence or it's practically ignoring the timeline spats altogether.

That said, were there really no Zora in Wind Waker? I mean, yes, I know we didn't see any, but what about Jabun? Was he the guardian spirit over a race we didn't see? It certainly looked like there were homes on that island, so maybe that was a Zora town? Maybe? Maybe? Maybe? It's incredibly difficult to say. After all, the Rito were in possession of Din's Pearl, not Nayru's Pearl like was common to the Zoras. So even in Wind Waker, maybe there was a branching off.

Point is, Nintendo has always done what Nintendo wanted and never been strict on the theory crafting. Heck, the Rito that I called out could be Loftwings, though I doubt it. (Maybe THEY'RE similar? WHO KNOWS)

[QUOTE="Marilink, post: 1618574, member: 23215"]I personally don't want Link to be voiced. That'd feel wrong. And "silent protagonists" are not actually silent--they're meant to be imprints for your personal voice.[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes, you're very clever on the silence thing.

I still want Link to speak. :p
Carpe Pullum Domesticum! (Seize the Cucco!) Image

X-3

Post by X-3 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:55 pm

Talking Link Image

Random User

Post by Random User » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:56 pm

Probs on the Adult Timeline, but it would be an intriguing jump from Spirit Tracks to BotW.

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:14 pm

[QUOTE="CuccoLady, post: 1618576, member: 30977"]^ I 100% agree with you, but I also agree with IRHP. In a game with a silent protagonist (as I personally hope Zelda will always be) I prefer no voice acting at all.

Again, old man yells at cloud. Grumble grumble..[/QUOTE]
You ever play Portal?

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Talking Link might honestly push me off the Zelda fan train if they ever did it. Like no matter how good the game is that would ruin it for me. Zelda doesn't need to pursue realism in that way. That is honestly such a hard no for me I'm slightly ill just thinking about it ugh ugh gross 0/10

--

^ fair point.

This trailer already sounds like a dub though. Portal sounds entirely natural in its acting. That's the difference for me IMO
I believe in second chances, and that's why I believe in you.

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:34 pm

[QUOTE="CuccoLady, post: 1618607, member: 30977"]Talking Link might honestly push me off the Zelda fan train if they ever did it. Like no matter how good the game is that would ruin it for me. Zelda doesn't need to pursue realism in that way. That is honestly such a hard no for me I'm slightly ill just thinking about it ugh ugh gross 0/10[/QUOTE]
Five years ago, so many people said "I don't want ANY voice acting in my Zelda GTFO."

Now, people are okay with voice acting in Zelda.

People will get over it.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:39 pm

^ I literally just said I don't want any voice acting at all though. :p

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:40 pm

^ I literally wasn't talking about you. :wink:

More specifically: I'm not saying people prefer voice acting, just that it's now acceptable. I think people would accept Link speaking in good time if he were voice acted.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:45 pm

THEN WHY DID U QUOTE MY POST

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:45 pm

[QUOTE="CuccoLady, post: 1618611, member: 30977"]THEN WHY DID U QUOTE MY POST[/QUOTE]

Hey Marilink, what do you think about voice acting in Zelda?

(Though seriously, I edited and clarified because VGF didn't notify me of your response until afterward. :p )

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:46 pm

I dunno. I thought it would be weird when Final Fantasy games started having voice acting, but I think it ended up okay (for the most part). Maybe BotW will be able to pull it off.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:31 pm

[spoiler=My thoughts on this issue...]HRAAAAH! HYAH! HUUUUUUUUAH![/spoiler]

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

monstrman

Post by monstrman » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:08 pm

You all secretly want Link to be voice acted don't lie

Too bad they're guaranteed to do it The Bad Way(tm)

The Missing Link

Post by The Missing Link » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:17 am

I can't wait to voice act some Dodongos!

Cravdraa

Post by Cravdraa » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:38 am

I don't see them giving Link a voice any more than maybe shouting a word or two at the most. But more likely just sticking to the grunts and screams they've always given him.
As for the other characters, I don't really care. They've been giving us little voice clips and sound effects so we know what the characters sound like since OoT. As long as it's reasonably well done, it'll be the same effect.

Daos

Post by Daos » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:55 am

As a player of Final Fantasy XIV I can confirm that having everyone but the main character voiced can work.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:00 am

Link shouldn't talk, but he should have an internal monologue voiced by Werner Herzog.

Daos

Post by Daos » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:54 am

Honestly I think Link should be voiced by Jonathan Potts. Jon is the same actor who brought Link to life with so much emotion and spirit in the wonderful animated series from 1989. In my opinion he WAS Link, and excuuuse me if you though otherwise.

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”