If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Ocarina of Time UHD texture replacement, Shaders, & Romhack (by me)

Moderators: Marilink, Booyakasha

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Ocarina of Time UHD texture replacement, Shaders, & Romhack (by me)

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:24 am

There have been some very decent texture mods for Ocarina bouncing around, but where the original game had some questionable palette choices (yellow for the dirt in Kokiri Forest area, for instance) some have tried to improve and in doing so made more issues and changed the contrast balance in the game. Those texture packs are also starting to look rather dated, especially on UHD. OoT 3D was a much-needed update, but in a lot of places it just does the bare-minimum necessary. This also benefits me as I am building these assets from scratch and will have access to my own general-purpose library of surfaces.

Keeping those factors in mind, I've started building an ultra-high detail pack for the N64 version for the (2016) top-end of graphics cards, using the community version of Federelli's high detail texture pack as a base. Graphics I've built range as high as 4096 x 4096 depending on their in-game use. I will continue to update this post as the pack progresses. Hopefully the existence of this thread will help me keep the project open.

Depending on viability and compatibility, I may also bevel/tesselate/remodel world details as necessary, and will put together a preferred Reshade preset. Anything added should not change the game drastically, but grow the world to improve on the experience in uninhibitive ways.

Screen Shots_________________ _ _

Comparison crops 02:

[spoiler]
11-12-2016 Temple of Time Floor Texture

Main body: OoT UHD
Top right: OoT Vanilla
Middle right: Community Hires
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
23-10-2016 Kokiri Forest Floor Textures

Image Image
[/spoiler]

Model Changes 02:

[spoiler]
13-08-2017 Hilltest Environment

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
24-10-2016 Kokiri Forest Actor Replacement

Image [/spoiler]

Progress_________________ _ _

Currently working on: Restore thread images with new server

Last rom change: Working on Hilltest stage model, stress-testing poly and alpha limitations with original assets

Last texture change: Field cliff textures/models built, need to be edited to wrap edges and finish with hand detail.

Engine state: Hilltest/SharpOcarina import object ordering incompatible with Gliden64, needs research, last running in Project 64
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

The Amazing Tazy Ten

Post by The Amazing Tazy Ten » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:11 am

Actually looks pretty good. Props.

Random User

Post by Random User » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:43 am

Pretty interested in seeing more as it progresses. Looks like it'll be awesome, dude.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:47 pm

I want to be able to see every single hair on the shopkeeper's chest.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:48 pm

and those moobs gotta really pop on moobsguy
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:38 am

Did an actor replacement test to see how easily I could make the Kokiri Forest a bit more forested. The game engine handles different actors depending on the scene/room they're placed in and how that room is toggled, and apparently the Kokiri actors aren't in the same group as the field tree cluster. The trees are all generated by a single actor, strangely enough. Nintendo was really very aggressive about trying to save space, and this hearkens back to older days on the NES. I may need to mod actors like the signposts or unique grass into a tree model to get them to play nicely. Signs nailed to trees could be an easy solution, although for my own ROM it may just be a simpler solution to put the Kokiri in their houses, as much as I am fond of rock-humping-kid.

I turned Mido into a rock, because screw that guy.

The OP has been appended.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:54 am

This is awesome stuff, AI.
Carthago delendum est

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:32 am

Ocarina of Time: AI HD Edition
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:58 am

Turned Mido into a rock = infinitely a better game already
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:06 am

[QUOTE="~spookylady~, post: 1611957, member: 30977"]Turned Mido into a rock = infinitely a better game already[/QUOTE]
I know, right? Worst guy.

To be honest, I'd much rather just get rid of as many forced-NPC roadblocks as possible, for that matter, and open up the game. Like, it's your problem if you go get murdered by skeletons without getting the sword and shield. IDGAF.

I may also change tutorial NPCs' dialogue so it's related to the events in the game. It's weird how the characters in OoT don't have anything to say about most of what's unfolding around them.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:25 am

^I mean it's not like you're gonna talk about politics with the next stranger who walks by

Well ok maybe a lot of people would
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:43 am

[QUOTE="DarkZero, post: 1611962, member: 34654"]^I mean it's not like you're gonna talk about politics with the next stranger who walks by

Well ok maybe a lot of people would[/QUOTE]
Yeah but you've got to remember that the player is approaching them, and all of the Kokiri know Link, and half of the NPCs talk like they're a manual. None of it makes sense, really.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:42 pm

Update time.

I've nearly completed both the Kokiri Forest main dirt path texture, and the largest cliff texture in the same area. I'd say they're both about 90% complete or more, and just need some finishing touches. The dirt path I want to add more fine detail to and replace the grassy edging, and the cliff wall similarily needs some plant detail at the bottom and maybe a bit more at the top. The dirt path has the issue that the default graphic only contains the alpha channel, which is meant to mask the poly surface color, and that's the default yellow. Adding extra channels causes it to blend with that yellow. To be able to work with multiple colors beyond the default, I used a subtraction layer to remove most of that color frequency from the texture I built. This means the raw texture, unblended, actually is much more purpleish than it appears in-game.

I also have spent a large amount of my time testing different graphics plugins for emulators following the Zilmar spec, as well as different emulators, as the older versions of Mudlord/Rice I'd been using are very buggy and do not support some important functions like mip-mapping, etc, and have issues with flickering polys due to z-fighting and other occasional issues with the frame buffer, etc.

Emulator stuff to note: Project 64 just had a new release! It's still a bit messy but it's good to see it moving forward and it's making good strides, still in my top 3 N64 emulators. Like most, I still use 1.6, though. Beyond that, I managed to dig up some more recent (private) builds of 1964, which I was surprised to see some folks have started working on again rather recently. No major public releases, but the work has gone well beyond what's available on most sites, it's up to r138 now! The last build I'd downloaded was r99, it was built in 2003, like most I'd thought it dead. Definitely my go-to emulator for this project at the moment.

Anyway, also tracked down some cru builds of the brilliant new GLideN64. It is already well in advance of the other video plugins I've used, for the most part, and the best part is that it both incorporates Rice's spec for high res textures as well as normal lighting via hardware(!) and it supports current OpenGL standards. This means (dun da da daaahhh) SHADERS ARE GO.

So here's a couple screens of the most current version of the Reshade build I've put together, running on a GLideN64 beta with hardware lighting, and a private build of 1964emu, featuring the textures I mentioned earlier in this post as well.

Of course, anything may be subject to change at this point.

That's not the only thing I've been doing with the game, as I also have started to figure out how Link's model textures/colors are put together. Naturally, the game is so old that it's kind of a mess. His arms and legs? Yeah, those pull their color from edges of the ear texture. Half of his face has really bizarre UV distortion, his neck uses the bottom line of the texture for his eyes/nose/etc. Since the original model used all flat colors and had his eyes, etc, floating kind of disconnected in a sea of jaundice, it didn't matter. But I want to see what I can do with the original model, even if I'm going to replace it on my personal build, and also I wanted to make Link look less Night of the Living Dead and more Ghibli. The color's subject to change, but I actually managed to contour the face somewhat and overall I think I'm headed in the right direction. Here's the current shots:

- GLideN64 plugin, 1964, with my shaders build ver 0.0.1

- GLideN64 plugin, 1964, shaders disabled

Mind, I've only done the face and the skin tone and the hair, the rest (of Link) is the community hidef pack. None of these are final, but it's a good framework. It may be a first, too, as I haven't seen anyone managed to do properly shaded textures for the player models, usually just recolors at most.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm leaving something out but I've had a cold for days and I should've been in bed hours ago. Hope you all like what you're seeing and if not, hey, don't sweat it. There's always more.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:45 pm

Simply changing the colors of the grass and dirt (let alone the updated art and texturing) completely changes the atmosphere and makes the whole forest feel more damp and lush rather than dry. Really well done, this looks freaking awesome.

Sonic 5

Post by Sonic 5 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:06 pm

This looks like a painstaking labor of love. I really like what you've done with Link's face!

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:34 pm

That Kokiri Forest Aire is really gorgeous.
Carthago delendum est

X-3

Post by X-3 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:44 pm

The contrast between HD textures and the big blocky character models is hard for me to get over.

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:54 am

^ Yeah I understand that, the models are decidedly inelegant even while some of the angles are more forgivable. I fully intend to delve into replacing/updating the models on my own. Some clever modders have actually done amazing work porting in the models for OoT3D's child Link and Twilight Princess's adult Link, and it shouldn't be a stretch to just build a new on from scratch or even just reduce the weird angles where I can. That's kind of a much later-on thing as it will be a more complex process, and I still want the texture pack to be complete on its own without modding the ROM file. I'd actually use the OoT3D ported models, but that's crossing a legal line as those assets are not my property and thus it would not be legal to distribute. It's definitely under consideration, though.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:36 am

If you update the Great Fairy model, make sure her boobs stay conical and pointy, the way God intended them.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:06 am

^ just to disappoint val, please replace the Great Fairy with a tree like you did with all the kokiri.

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”