Bomby plays The Legend of Zelda, game by game

Moderators: Marilink, Booyakasha

Bomby

Re: Bomby plays The Legend of Zelda, game by game

Post by Bomby » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:57 am

I mean, it's the biggest and most complex Zelda game, but that doesn't mean it's "objectively" better than Ocarina or Majora's Mask by any means. Sometimes a tighter and more streamlined structure is a strength.

pepsibetsy

Post by pepsibetsy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:11 pm

Play BotW! It's still fun, ranking aside :D
I'm the girl who's kickin' the coke machine
Image pepsibetsy

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:43 pm

I just did.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:00 am

^^^ I agree. If anything BotW is objectively worse than OoT. You lost your sense of wonder late into the game, mine was gone after one night, so looking at the games I think this sums it up; OoT is OoT, but BotW is just a mediocre open world game fused with the Zelda formula. I can't find an excuse to explore the flat, empty world populated by a handful of enemy types just to find more weapons that will break or seeds I don't care about. Cooking and climbing are chores I actively avoid, and the story was bare even by Zelda standards so there was nothing to urge me on.

Anyway, which one are you looking to play next? I think those remaining are all multiplayer games, so you should try to play them with someone, otherwise it will probably affect your ranking significantly. I tried the DS one alone, it wasn't interesting solo but I could tell it could've been cool multiplayer.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:05 am

^Calling BotW’s world “flat and empty” just straight up makes no sense, man. That game’s biggest strength is its world design, particularly how it uses verticality to effectively, and how it peppers its world with locations, puzzles, and discoverables in every nook and cranny. That’s the opposite of “flat and empty.”

^^I’ll point out, I did put sneer-quotes around “objectively better” because I realize that a game’s quality is entirely in the beholder. But at the very least, the care evident in BotW’s design, along with its mold-breaking structure for the series, put it at least in the same echelon as LttP and OoT in terms of Zelda games that will stand the test of time.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:47 am

Marilink wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:05 am
^Calling BotW’s world “flat and empty” just straight up makes no sense, man. That game’s biggest strength is its world design, particularly how it uses verticality to effectively, and how it peppers its world with locations, puzzles, and discoverables in every nook and cranny. That’s the opposite of “flat and empty.”

^^I’ll point out, I did put sneer-quotes around “objectively better” because I realize that a game’s quality is entirely in the beholder. But at the very least, the care evident in BotW’s design, along with its mold-breaking structure for the series, put it at least in the same echelon as LttP and OoT in terms of Zelda games that will stand the test of time.
It isn't literally flat, I meant that as in "dull and lifeless." Think of Skyrim and how there's so many cities and buildings and people and events going on. You can be killing some a**hole elf on the outskirts of a city and suddenly a dragon attacks, or you're trying to steal from someone and suddenly they charge into the same room as you in suspicion, or you just go ape **** and murder everyone in a city and they'll remember should you return. That's just the tip of the iceburd and is a world that's alive, and you experience all of it within a couple hours. I don't think Zelda seemed like it was going to match that, certainly not exceed it... As an open world game I expected it to, and maybe that's my fault but now that Zelda is open world it has some stiff competition it will naturally be compared to. I'd rather screw with my skill tree and find all different types of armor and weapons and dialogue options than to get a new sword that breaks against another imp to get a seed.

I'm not saying BotW is bad, the open world design has some potential, it was fun for a bit and has some of that Nintendo charm, but it's heavily overrated. I'm clearly in the minority thinking that though. I just feel like Zelda's strengths lie elsewhere, and that open world should be a feature, not a focus.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:51 am

I guess we just got different senses of enjoyment from the world. Skyrim is great and all, but traveling across that world is a chore. I would rather watch grass grow than run from one corner of the Skyrim map to the other, whereas I've run clear across BotW's map and found it very much alive and exciting. I think we're just looking for different things our open worlds. Which is fine.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:22 pm

Yeah, I agree. Like you said, we have different preferences in open world games, but it's a fair criticism IMO to point out the fact that Zelda's world doesn't have as much going on. What's there might be more fun but I think it's true there's simply less there. I'm not trying to say you need to think it's better but I think if we tallied up the available experiences then Skyrim would win in terms of quantity (though the matter of quality is subjective).

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:40 pm

I'm still very fond of OoT and now I should get myself a TV and replay it. :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Return to “The Legend of Zelda: See That Mountain?”